Forums Latest Members

OMEGA Seamaster problems - Am i crazy?

1. fransker Apr 8, 2021

Hello everyone !

I have been in love with watches for almost 6 years now, and I have mostly bought microbrand watches and used luxury timepieces on Chrono24, etc... I decided to get my first luxury timepiece from an AD this year after a got a new job, namely the newest OMEGA Seamaster black dial and bezel.

First of all, they did give me a small discount (around 500 USD) but sold me the display model. Is that normal? Shouldn't i get a new one from the vault? Or is that why they gave me a discount.

Second, i noticed a few things on the watch that bothers me, but i wanted to know if i am expecting too much from this watch (the guy at the AD said he couldn't see anything worth reporting to Omega and using the warranty for).

Here are the things i can see with the naked eye:

- The two 12 o'clock markers are not perfectly aligned, although they are parallel. It's very little, but i can't unsee it (but i could live with this one)

- The 2 12 o'clock markers are slightly off to the left. I have a few watches for under 1000 USD without this problem, which is why it surprised me.

- The enamel inlay on the ceramic bezel is slightly discolored to the naked eye on a few numbers. I didn't notice that at first, but now i can spot them easily.

- The end-links have a lot of play. Not horizontally (which I can live with), but vertically, leaving a considerable gap between the case and the end-links when i wear it. The end-links basically rotate a bit on the axis of the spring bars.

It is otherwise a GREAT watch and a real bargain considering everything. But are these problems something you guys have noticed and i am right to be concerned, or am i expecting too much from this watch? It is quite pricey and many of my Breitlings have none of these problems. DO you think OMEGA would replace this piece?

Thank you in advance for any response :)

2. maskwp Apr 8, 2021

Hey, first of all congratulations to a good choice and very sorry to hear about your experience. None of the above is normal. I would directly go back...

3. jeelan Apr 8, 2021

Sorry to hear about your issues, but didnt you inspect the watch prior to purchase? Or did you buy sight unseen?

4. rohada Apr 8, 2021

Since you desire the AD experience, if it were me (which it isn't) I'd return the watch, I'd pay them the additional $500, and I'd walk out with a NIB watch. Buying a blemished or otherwise, not quite right display model seems to defeat the overall AD or OB experience. I'm sure others have saved money by going with a floor model and been very happy, but some of these shortcomings would irk me to no end. To your point, you can't unsee something. Close to retail is a lot of money to spend to not be satisfied.

marco and Syrte like this.
  5. Pazzo Apr 8, 2021

Yes, take it back.
    I'd rather pay those $500.

6. Donn Chambers Apr 8, 2021

First, for many ADs, the only watches that are “in the safe” are already purchased watches waiting for a pickup - the display models are their full stock for sale. I know people on these boards claim they never take the “display” models and will only purchase one from the unopened “safe stock” but I have NEVER encountered an AD that will do this for me. And I have asked. Every time, the answer is: These are the watches for sale. I have purchased 4 Omega watches brand new from various ADs (including a boutique) and all have been the “display” model in the case.

So, good luck with trying to return the watch to your dealer for a new one “from the safe.” Maybe it will be possible, maybe not.

Regarding the end-link play, I can think of two things that might cause this: 1) the spring bar is not seated properly, or 2) the spring bar is not the proper diameter.

The first possibility is pretty dangerous - the bracelet could become detached which is never good. Take a close look at the back of the end pieces and make sure the spring bars are seated properly. I generally use a small needle to see if I can move it when I change my bracelets. It it moves significantly, it is not seated. If it doesn’t move move, it’s good to go. You may need to use a magnifier depending on how good (i.e., young) your eyes are.

The second one can be fixed by taking it back and asking them to replace the spring bars with proper Omega bars — perhaps the bracelet was taken off for resizing it (I do that myself because it is easier), they misplaced the spring bars (also easy to do), then just grabbed one out of their kit and it is not the proper diameter.

scapa and fransker like this.
  7. fransker Apr 9, 2021

I did check it but not that close... also, he could have swapped it when sizing the bracelet

8. fransker Apr 9, 2021

Well I wasnt told i would get the floor model for a discount,I asked him of this was the model i would get and he said yes

9. fransker Apr 9, 2021

Thanks for the detailed answer !

10. rohada Apr 9, 2021

Peace on that. But, it doesn't change the imperfections as you see them. If you can live with these imperfections and adjustments where applicable, then keep it. Regardless of a vault or display model, if you are not happy with the specimen, then I'd return it and look for one that you find more suitable. I wish you well.

11. nmttd2 Apr 11, 2021

ADs and Omega boutiques usually do not carry multiples of any watch at the store. The one in the counter that you're trying on is the one you get. They don't have a hoard of the same watches sitting in the back. The ones in the vault are usually the ones that are older stock or dont have room to display.

12. Tony123456 Apr 11, 2021

Tbh if I were you I’d just return and go elsewhere. Depending on the model as well you could probably negotiate the same price or better at another AD if they won’t work with you.

not worth spending that amount of money on your watch and noticing flaws

13. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Apr 11, 2021

Those pictures tell it all...

sgav8r likes this.
  14. scapa Apr 11, 2021

Do you have pix? The end link and alignment issues would be unacceptable to me.

The "display model" thing is a non-issue, IMO. I've bought quite a few pieces from my AD and exactly one has been factory-fresh, largely because ADs simply don't get dozens of models to keep and there def can't keep hotter models in stock -- my Omega AD has a backorder list of 3-4 months on Seamasters in the preferred colourways, and I waited 6 for my FOIS. I'd take the 500 as a straight-up discount and deal with the other issues one by one with your AD. They should work with you on the basis that the watch you purchased was a brand-new piece from Omega with a full warranty, and anything amiss should be fixed or replaced. IMO.

3rdstringholder likes this.
  15. sgav8r Apr 11, 2021

I agree pics please! FWIW I also just bought the exact same watch (bought mine preowned though) and mine is absolutely perfect. Zero play in the links and perfectly aligned markers. Absolutely no discoloration in the bezel insert (have you tried gently cleaning that with a soft bristled brush and mild soapy water?). I’m amazed an omega left an AD in this shape. Frankly this sounds like issues one would find in a replica!

16. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Apr 11, 2021

Even with a 500 dollar discount you’re clearly spending quite a bit so you need something with which you’ll be 100% happy. If you’re starting to notice things now you may never make peace with them, better remedy the situation while you still can - even if it means paying an extra 500.

17. maine-iac1 Apr 11, 2021

Your watch is going to get scuffed and dinged. It's meant to be worn. That said, any blemishes to the watch should be caused by you. It shouldn't come that way. You should be 100% happy with the purchase. So I'll add another vote for returning. Pony up the $500 for peace of mind, or find another dealer.

18. abgul Apr 11, 2021

I'm OCD like you and expect perfection when paying this much. That said - even changing it may not get you perfection. I would go check out some new ones at the OB/other ADs and see they exhibit these issues or any others. If they do - then you know its variance in manufacturing. If not - return and replace.

19. CaliberKingPin Apr 12, 2021

Can you upload some pictures so we can see what your talking about?

Thx

In the end you need to be happy that is all that matters. Or it will wreck your whole experience.