Forums Latest Members
  1. AbsolutEdo Nov 23, 2016

Hi, I recently bought a vintage Omega Seamaster, the seller told me that everything was original. Today I went to my local watch repair shop to have some more info, in their opinion everything is indeed original (even the crystal) but the dial is probably reprinted, I don't have pictures of the caseback or the movement but I do know that the reference number on the caseback is 2802-5 sc while the serial number on the case is 15474395 and it has the 471 caliber, I have researched many hours without results, I would be really thankful if someone from the forum could shine some light on this watch, do you think that the dial is reprinted? Have you seen this particular dial before? Again thank you so much for your help.
    [​IMG]

2. MPWATCH Watch Lover Nov 23, 2016

Seems like a refinished dial, the "Automatic" bothers me for some reason. The dial seems extremely clean for something 15+ years old. The markers are also too clean imo. Could you include some close up photos of the dial? What does the caseback look like? I also see a "Swiss Made" marking at the bottom of the dial which would indicate lume has been applied which I can't tell by this photo if it is on the hands or not. If there is no lume on the hands, that would raise further questions. Original buckle? I'd have the watch maker take the dial out to see if you can see signs of refinishing. Will change the value!

Best,

Thomas

3. François Pépin Nov 23, 2016

Looks like a redial, yes. But the "Swiss made" is the only thing that could be correct in that dial! Could you explain what link you assume there is - if I understood you correctly - between "Swiss made" and some lume? It seems pretty odd to me, as there are no relation between "Swiss made" and the presence or lack of lume in the dial.

MPWATCH likes this.
  4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 23, 2016

With the long minute hand the second track should be outside the hour markers.

5. AbsolutEdo Nov 23, 2016

The hands do have lume applied, the buckle is not original but the seller told me that he would try to find a period correct one. I have taken a couple more photos unfortunately my phone's camera is not the best but the resolution is pretty high so you can zoom in. The caseback says "WATERPROOF" which I have found to be the correct engraving for this model. Thanks for your reply [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. AbsolutEdo Nov 23, 2016

Now that I look at the dial more closely, I have noticed that the 12 marker isn't properly aligned and the 2 is slightly crooked almost like it's detaching from the dial. Seems like I will need to be more careful for my next purchases. I will probably contact the seller. Let me know what you think about it. Thank you.

7. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Nov 23, 2016

Also look at the inconsistent spacing between the 5-minute markers and the minute tics. The Seller may have been technically (legally?) correct about the being the original dial, but unfortunately it appears to have been refinished.

8. SBBN Nov 23, 2016

I agree. Automatic is too wide. Should be just a little wider than the Omega...

MPWATCH likes this.
  9. MPWATCH Watch Lover Nov 23, 2016

A dial will not have a "SWISS", "Swiss made", or "Swiss" marking without some type of lume. Earliest uses of this marking was in 1960 when Radium was applied and because of it's radioactive properties, they felt that marking the dial would give persons in and out of the watch an idea of it's toxicity. I've found this to be true more times than not, but I'm open to all additional information or edits to this statement. Here to learn!

Best,

Thomas

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 23, 2016

Swiss Made does not indicate the presence of lume.

I can assure you this is not a redial:

[​IMG]

Giff2577, MPWATCH and GregH like this.
  11. ConElPueblo Nov 23, 2016

...This is very incorrect, sorry.

Giff2577, Archer, Woodward and 3 others like this.
  12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 23, 2016

Will ad my voice to the Swiss Made having no relationship to the presence or not of lume.
    The presence of one or more "T" , on an original dial, does indicate tritium lume, such as "T - Swiss Made - T" , or, "Swiss Made -T"
    17.jpg 19189-9cbcaf198a84dc44035086a5fbd6e8bc.jpg 2852SC.jpg tumblr_mmz8m08KPn1royoxho1_1280.png

GregH and hoipolloi like this.
  13. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Nov 23, 2016

Can you elaborate please?.
    Looking at the dial, I would say something is off. Note the spacing on the minute indices before and after the hour indices, particularly bad at the 3,4,5, and 11:00. The hour indices are not centered.

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 23, 2016

You would be mistaken :)

Davidt likes this.
  15. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Nov 23, 2016

Please elaborate on why this is not a redial as well as how I am mistaken about the layout of the indices. I am not being sarcastic, just curious.

16. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Nov 23, 2016

Are you asking about the deluxe dial or the OP's dial? That deluxe is fabulous. The OP's is a redial.

17. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Nov 23, 2016

OP.
    Unless I am mistaken, dsio is saying it (OP watch) is not a redial and my observations are mistaken.

18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 23, 2016

The OPs watch is definitely a redial.
    SWISS MADE is centred incorrectly, the last S should be at 6, not the space.
    Minute marker positions are all over the place as well as other issues noted.

19. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 23, 2016

@dsio meant the Deluxe dial was not a redial and it had SWISS MADE but no lume, it was in response to:

20. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Nov 23, 2016

Very good. Thanks for clarifying that Jim.