Omega Seamaster Diver 300M - Buy it now, or wait for the new generation?

Hello everyone,
I'm thinking about buying another Seamaster Diver 300M. The classic black one with a rubber strap. I just fell in love with this watch when I saw it live the other day.
I currently have 3 Seamaster Diver 300M variants of the current generation, such as the NTTD, or the one with the white dial.
The Diver 300M has been on the market for 6.5 years now. If you look at the release times of the Diver 300M, then theoretically a new version should be released soon:

Of course, Omega may not release a new generation for another 2-3 years. However, I think at the latest when filming starts on the new James Bond movie (planned for 2025, even if there is still no lead actor). So it could be that a new generation is released as early as next year.
I would be very annoyed if I bought a new Diver 300M now and the new generation will be released next year.
As I already have several Diver 300M, it would probably make more sense for me to wait until the next generation will be released and then buy 1-2 new Diver 300M.
But I've somehow fallen in love with the black version and it's been a while since I bought a watch.
My head says no, my heart says yes.

If I knew that Omega wouldn't be releasing a new generation in 2-3 years, then I would certainly buy the watch now. However, if a new generation will be released next year, then I would grit my teeth and just wait for the release. I know you can get the watch quite cheaply on the gray market (about 20% cheaper than in the Omega Boutique, where the watch is only available at list price). But for me, it is not an option not to buy an Omega watch in my Omega Boutique.
I would pay the full list price. So I want to be sure that I am making the right decision, because buying the watch at full list price and selling it in 1-2 years just to buy the new generation is financial nonsense.
I'm going on vacation in a few weeks and would love to take the watch with me. And I would also love to enjoy this watch for the rest of the summer.

I really am completely at a loss and torn. As great as my desire for the watch is, I don't want to make a stupid decision that I will regret later.

What would you do if you were me?
What would be your recommendation?

Thank you in advance!
Edited:

Follow your heart. Buying multiple watches isn’t a rationale past time.

if you love the current black dial then go for it but why limit yourself to your OB? I get loyalty, I’ve done the same with mine but strictly where needed for watches I can’t get so easily on the gray market. For a 35% difference it makes no sense on such a readily available watch.

Buy a second hand black for c £3k now, and sell for probably the equivalent of £2 - 2.5k (inflation and price rises) in 2/3 years?

Like 2
if you love the current black dial then go for it but why limit yourself to your OB? I get loyalty, I’ve done the same with mine but strictly where needed for watches I can’t get so easily on the gray market. For a 35% difference it makes no sense on such a readily available watch.

A few years ago, I ordered a new luxury watch online from a gray dealer. Even though everything was fine with the watch, delivery and ordering process, I have 0 sentimental attachment to it. It was the same with 3 other luxury watches I bought a little later from different ADs. I almost never wear them as I have no emotional attachment to them as the buying experience was pretty weak and very unspectacular.
However, I love all my Omega watches that I bought in my OB and wear them often. The buying experience there is on a completely different level and I always receive gifts and am invited to events that make me even more loyal to the brand. :)
That's why it's out of the question for me to buy the watch anywhere else than in my OB.
But that's not the point here. That's a topic for a separate thread.
I'm just looking for support in deciding whether I should buy the black Diver 300M now or wait for the next generation.
But thank you anyway for your opinion!

Like 2
Buy a second hand black for c £3k now, and sell for probably the equivalent of £2 - 2.5k (inflation and price rises) in 2/3 years?

I second this recommendation. Certainly makes it easier on the wallet

As already mentioned, it is out of question for me to buy the watch anywhere other than in my OB. Therefore, buying a second-hand watch is also out of the question for me.

Like 1

None of us are you, therefore you need to decide. I doubt anyone on here knows if/when a new one will be launched.

What if they do a new release and it’s worse?

Unless I had no other choice, or unless there were something about the current version that I didn’t like and was hoping Omega might address with a new one, I wouldn’t make a decision like this based on a hypothetical.

Who knows? Maybe you’ll buy the current version and the next day Omega will announce a new line without the wave dial, without the He valve, without skeleton hands, and without the date feature, all on a bracelet with a taper, and featuring the new spirate system. Will you regret your choice? Sure. But it’s probably more likely they won’t do that.

If it were me and I really wanted that watch, and it were financially practical to do so, I’d buy it. (But I’d also never pay retail for it—at least negotiate a steep discount with your OB.)

As mentioned before, collecting watches is an irrational hobby to begin with, and a bad decision, financially. Yet here we all are. No sense in overthinking a choice that’s already premised on bad thinking.

Like 3
As already mentioned, it is out of question for me to buy the watch anywhere other than in my OB. Therefore, buying a second-hand watch is also out of the question for me.

You are ALREADY an established customer of the boutique.

Rationally, do you really think you will not be invited to events or not receive gifts if you buy a second hand or grey market watch?

You are ALREADY an established customer of the boutique.

Rationally, do you really think you will not be invited to events or not receive gifts if you buy a second hand or grey market watch?

I think he explained: it’s not about that; it’s about not bonding as much with watches bought through the impersonal channel of the gray market. We can probably stop guilting the guy about it. I don’t feel the way he does about OB vs. gray either, but it’s not the question he asked.

Like 6
My point is that he isn't going to lose out on that experience when he walks into a boutique because he doesn't buy every single watch from the boutique.

Like 1
I'd look at the 3rd gen. with the non-wave dial (212.30.41.20.01.003). These are a bit underappreciated, IMO; which is good at the moment since it offers lots of value for money. It also wears slimmer to the current version and is a bit more elegant/refined. Being the first SMP300 with ceramic, and the only non-wave dial of the SMP300 lineup, it should be a future classic.

iu

Like 1
What if they do a new release and it’s worse?

Unless I had no other choice, or unless there were something about the current version that I didn’t like and was hoping Omega might address with a new one, I wouldn’t make a decision like this based on a hypothetical.

Who knows? Maybe you’ll buy the current version and the next day Omega will announce a new line without the wave dial, without the He valve, without skeleton hands, and without the date feature, all on a bracelet with a taper, and featuring the new spirate system. Will you regret your choice? Sure. But it’s probably more likely they won’t do that.

If it were me and I really wanted that watch, and it were financially practical to do so, I’d buy it. (But I’d also never pay retail for it—at least negotiate a steep discount with your OB.)

As mentioned before, collecting watches is an irrational hobby to begin with, and a bad decision, financially. Yet here we all are. No sense in overthinking a choice that’s already premised on bad thinking.

Thank you for your comment! I found it very helpful!
I think the watch is perfect as it is in the current generation. If that wasn't the case, I wouldn't have bought so many versions. :)
The bracelets are a little different. I find the rubber strap a bit boring. And the steel bracelet would look very good with a taper and a more discreet, less bulky appearance. However, the nice thing is that you can easily swap bracelets. If the new generation of this watch has a better strap, I can always have it replaced later.
So the strap of the current generation is not a showstopper for me.

Like 1
My point is that he isn't going to lose out on that experience when he walks into a boutique because he doesn't buy every single watch from the boutique.

Please let's not go any further into this topic. This topic would be something for a separate thread.
I have already said that I will only buy my Omegas in an OB.
This point is also not up for discussion, as I have my opinion / reasons for this and I am not backing away from it.
Why is that (so that you understand my point of view)?
I’m of the opinion that if I am going to buy an (unnecessary) luxury product, I also want to have a great buying experience. If I buy a bag of soil at the DIY store, I don't care about the shopping experience. I won't have any emotional attachment to such a product. But when it comes to luxury watches, as has already been mentioned, it's not about rationality, but purely about emotions. None of us needs such an overpriced luxury watch. Especially not when we all carry a cell phone with us. And if you're going to buy a watch, then a €20 Casio will do just as well if you want to know the time. So buying a watch had nothing to do with common sense.
However, I understand if others have a different opinion. And thats‘s totally ok for me.
And now back to topic. :)
And thank you all for helping me with my decision!!!

Like 3
you say

:" it's not about rationality, but purely about emotions. "

and then you mix your statement on being irrational with

"So I want to be sure that I am making the right decision, because buying the watch at full list price and selling it in 1-2 years just to buy the new generation is financial nonsense."

another statement that is about rationality - avoiding financial loss.

None of us are you, therefore you need to decide. I doubt anyone on here knows if/when a new one will be launched.

this is the answer to your question OP

no one knows when a new one will be launched. Or actually there are people at Omega who would know, but they are not going to post that information here.

Like 1
Hello everyone,
I'm thinking about buying another Seamaster Diver 300M. The classic black one with a rubber strap. I just fell in love with this watch when I saw it live the other day.
I currently have 3 Seamaster Diver 300M variants of the current generation, such as the NTTD, or the one with the white dial.
The Diver 300M has been on the market for 6.5 years now. If you look at the release times of the Diver 300M, then theoretically a new version should be released soon:

Of course, Omega may not release a new generation for another 2-3 years. However, I think at the latest when filming starts on the new James Bond movie (planned for 2025, even if there is still no lead actor). So it could be that a new generation is released as early as next year.
I would be very annoyed if I bought a new Diver 300M now and the new generation will be released next year.
As I already have several Diver 300M, it would probably make more sense for me to wait until the next generation will be released and then buy 1-2 new Diver 300M.
But I've somehow fallen in love with the black version and it's been a while since I bought a watch.
My head says no, my heart says yes.

If I knew that Omega wouldn't be releasing a new generation in 2-3 years, then I would certainly buy the watch now. However, if a new generation will be released next year, then I would grit my teeth and just wait for the release. I know you can get the watch quite cheaply on the gray market (about 35% cheaper than in the Omega Boutique, where the watch is only available at list price). But for me, it is not an option not to buy an Omega watch in my Omega Boutique.
I would pay the full list price. So I want to be sure that I am making the right decision, because buying the watch at full list price and selling it in 1-2 years just to buy the new generation is financial nonsense.
I'm going on vacation in a few weeks and would love to take the watch with me. And I would also love to enjoy this watch for the rest of the summer.

I really am completely at a loss and torn. As great as my desire for the watch is, I don't want to make a stupid decision that I will regret later.

Thank you in advance!
You are suffering from paralysis by analysis. Listen to your heart and ignore your head.

Like 1
Buy now, don’t wait.
Do you have the green one yet ::love::
IMG_8802.jpeg

( love spending other people’s money.. :D )

Like 6
On another note, are there any rumors of an updated or new 300m? I’ve kind of noticed they revamp them every six years and since watch con already passed I don’t know if there’s another event for another reveal.

Thank you for your comment! I found it very helpful!
I think the watch is perfect as it is in the current generation.
I agree with @Annapolis , if you can do it, DO IT! Because we never know what's to come and it's important to take time to smell the roses.

And I'm with you on the OB; I combine it with a trip for extra spice, and there's no way I'd buy an Omega from anyone other than my OB. There are lots of people who don't value the luxury buying experience: cool, man! For me the equation is:

LuxuryProduct = LuxuryBuyingExperience + TangibleThing

We can all have different preferences, and still all love watches.

Like 2