Forums Latest Members
  1. nellwatch Dec 20, 2018

Hi everyone - first time poster and I am hoping you can give me some insight. My grandfather passed away and left us his watches. I recently took the Omega Seamaster Deville to a jeweler to have it looked at. Sorry for the lack of complete images. The watch has a smooth gold caseback. I can’t tell if it has been redialed but it does not look like too many of the Devilles I have seen online so I fear it may have. It is running so I am hoping the full servicing is only 300 dollars or so. Do you think it is worth it? Looking forward to discussing. Image is attached.

[​IMG]

DFCF0EF2-2B1E-4183-8F15-1EEA1C750173.jpeg
  2. nellwatch Dec 20, 2018

Also forgot to mention there is an omega logo on the crown, sorry for lack of picture,

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 20, 2018

It looks fine to me, some of the apparent blemishes on the dial may actually be due to scratches on the crystal. The double minute/seconds track is not seen as often as standard markings but I think a service and a new crystal and you will have a fine watch.

ChrisN and dan7800 like this.
  4. dan7800 Dec 20, 2018

If it is your grandfather's watch, then I'd definitely get it serviced. It will likely be more than $300. Some things you will hear:

1) Don't send it to Omega. They will replace a lot of parts and charge $$$
    2) Do your homework and find a good, competent watch maker. Someone who is honest, qualified, and will be sympathetic to the age of the watch (not replace the dial .....) The people on the forum may be able to help.

We need a sticky for what to do with "my grandfather's watch".... This is how I got sucked in :)

Welcome to the forum and nice looking watch!

5. nellwatch Dec 20, 2018

Thank you! The scratches are definitely from the crystal. Do you know anything about what the original bands looked like? Was thinking of replacing the Speidel bracelet with a brown leather one.

6. dan7800 Dec 20, 2018

I don't know anything about Ron Gordon, but I am sure there are many good watchmakers in NYC. Be careful, for every 10 people who claim to be qualified to work in this area, 1-2 actually are. Do your homework and take your time.

7. Edward53 Dec 20, 2018

What a nice watch, especially with that scarce dial variant in good condition. I think a good quality brown leather strap would look great, and then I'd look in slow time for an original GP Omega buckle of the right age. There's an extensive thread on here that tells you how to spot the real ones.