Forums Latest Members
  1. _jonte Oct 11, 2013

Just got this lovely Omega Seamaster De Ville with linen dial in a trade. It has got a new crown sometime in the past that I want to replace. It has the wrong gold tone and the wrong shape. The watch is most likely a 135.0020 with calibre 601, gold on steel. How can I find the correct crown for this watch?
    [​IMG]

Cousins give me (with ref 135.0020) a replacement crown with number 42531SX, but that crown has the wrong shape.
    [​IMG]

The crown should look like this:
    [​IMG]

I'm guessing that I will have to find an NOS crown, for it to have the right shape. But how do I find he correct crown, and how can I find the correct ref.no. for it?

2. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Oct 11, 2013

You may be able to figure out a reference from this.

_jonte likes this.
  3. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Oct 11, 2013

_jonte likes this.
  4. _jonte Oct 14, 2013

Thanks for the help!
    That table with Omega crowns was actually really good.

5. _jonte Oct 14, 2013

Thanks for that! Might be the correct crown for me. But how do I know if I should have a crown with half stem (whcih this one has), or a regular one plus a standard stem? This is a monocoque watch, so I will not open it up myself and have o look.

6. John R Smith Oct 14, 2013

A monocoque case should have a split-stem crown, I believe. So you want the crown with a little bit of stem sticking out.

_jonte likes this.
  7. _jonte Oct 14, 2013

Thanks! Should I also buy the 'inner half' stem and replace that too, or can I assume that this new outer half stem will fit the old inner?

8. John R Smith Oct 14, 2013

Ah, now there you expose my lack of knowledge. Anything more recent than 1953 and I am lost . . . ::confused2::

C'mon chaps, help us out . . . where is Al when you need him?

9. CdnWatchDoc Oct 14, 2013

Al likely is taking the day off for Thanksgiving long weekend here in the GWN! You can be sure he will be back on the forum later today or tomorrow am.
    Sorry, I can't help you out...but I did learn something myself!! Thanks Patrick for that link-great resource!!

Patrick Dixon likes this.
  10. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Oct 14, 2013

No, you don't need to. The other half stays with the movement and all you have to do is to replace the crown with the outer half.
    Here is the pic of the inner half (you don't need to remove the crystal or to take the movement out to change the crown)

[​IMG]

11. _jonte Oct 14, 2013

Thanks, that photo is really informative! How do I remove the crown without opening up the watch? Can not figure out how that can be done...

12. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Oct 14, 2013

People talked about that here (last three posts)

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=24205

I would do the same as JC guy did. Make sure you have the tool to hold it and pull it straight out. (no need to remove crystal or bezel etc.....)

_jonte likes this.
  13. _jonte Oct 14, 2013

Thanks a lot, seems like a very good method.
    Copy and paste that information for future reference:

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 14, 2013

No day off for me I'm afraid. Wife is away on business (working for a US based company, they have zero regard for any holidays other than their own, so meetings she could not miss in California this week) so it's just me and the dog here for Thanksgiving - hoping Swiss Chalet will be open so I can have something resembling a turkey dinner tonight....

Anyway, on the subject of split stems...

If you get a new Omega crown (current production) then most likely you will need a new split stem for the crown side, as the threads tend to be a different size on the newer crowns. To remove it the description above is great - in fact about the only thing I use my Presto hand remover for is for pulling split stems. I use hand levers for removing hands.

You should not need a new movement stem ("stem - movement part with beak" as Omega calls it) unless it is in bad shape, like this one was:

[​IMG]

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Al

_jonte likes this.
  15. ulackfocus Oct 14, 2013

But Al - today is a US holiday: Columbus Day.

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 14, 2013

Not a holiday like Thanksgiving is here, and obviously not observed by everyone, as her company is full on working today. I also used to work for a US based company, based on Ohio, and they never observed it...