Omega Seamaster Cosmic 136.016

Hello all!

I came across a Seamaster Cosmic which might potentially be the first Omega in my watch collection. To my layman eyes this looks like it is generally in a good condition although I haven't had the chance to look at its caliber yet. I am planning to take it to my watchmaker for an inspection on Monday. The asking price is around $500.

I just thought I would upload a few pictures here maybe someone notices something that I didn't.
Also during my research I haven't really found too much info about Cosmics in and especially this model (ref.number 136.016) so maybe this post/thread might help someone in the future. There have been other threads here and here). I found another Cosmic on Chrono24 that looks like this one but has a different ref. number (136.017) and has a 35mm case diameter. It goes almost for $600 and seems to be in a worse condition. This makes me feel like the one I have in my crosshair (pun intended) might be a good deal although mine has a smaller case.

Is the 'G' in OMEGA larger than all the other letters in OMEGA? What's up with that?

Is the 'G' in OMEGA larger than all the other letters in OMEGA? What's up with that?
Now that you mentioned it I can’t unsee it. Both the G and A seem to be a bit bigger and bolder than the rest. I guess the watch face was retouched/repainted?

Not sure if the large G is a “thing” or not

FWIW, my cosmic - original dial on left, the watch with a new service dial from Omega on the right

But to my eyes, the OPs 9 o’clock marker looks skwewed - is this real or just the photo angle?

Apart from the dial, these are thin hanwind Omega's, both good attributes, but being Cosmic you can't just take a look under the hood when you're feeling blue

Not sure if the large G is a “thing” or not

FWIW, my cosmic - original dial on left, the watch with a new service dial from Omega on the right

But to my eyes, the OPs 9 o’clock marker looks skwewed - is this real or just the photo angle?
I tried to snap another picture and I don’t see the 9 o’clock marker to be skewed. But your old and service dial both seem to have a similar G situation going on so that’s reassuring

Now that you mentioned it I can’t unsee it. Both the G and A seem to be a bit bigger and bolder than the rest. I guess the watch face was retouched/repainted?

Move on, find a watch that hasn't had the dial doctored.

I recently bought this Omega watch. What is your opinion on this dial? Is it repainted or not?

Here is picture of a cosmic with cross hairs dial that I just got for a project, I thought it might help for comparison .

By the way if the bottom crosshair and index looks off kilter, it's just the angle of the photo.

So a little update about the watch:
- The gold plating on the crown is wiggling and cracked. Maybe it just came loose or maybe it's not even the original crown and they just fitted the plating on some replacement crown.
- Setting the date is only possible through time setting. Nor a quick-set function (jumping a day when crown is pulled) neither a winding function (like on most watches) work. In the outmost position the crown feels like it's not connected to anything and it wiggles on them stem
- Couldn't get into the case because the mechanism that is supposed to unlock when pulled harder on the crown didn't work, it didn't let go. The stem doesn't come out.

So all these things together give the impression that there's been some shady work done around the stem/crown. Non of its functions work except for the most basic: setting the time.

The place that sold it to me said that they will gladly take a look at the problems and service them if they find any. There is a 30-day moneyback guarantee and 6 months of warranty on the watch but I feel like I've lost trust in the store. Why sell a watch n this condition in the first place? At least the date issue should have been noticed upon inspection.
So the whole situation makes me feel like they found a watch that was cosmetically in a good shape, gave it a little polish, put a new strap on it, maybe threw a few things back together so it kind of works and then decided to sell it in hopes that someone would buy it for the pretty face and wouldn't really make a deeper inspection.

it seems you'll be better off returning the watch if the moneyback guarantee is honored.

I just checked the price, especially for the price you paid.

- Setting the date is only possible through time setting. Nor a quick-set function (jumping a day when crown is pulled) neither a winding function (like on most watches) work. In the outmost position the crown feels like it's not connected to anything and it wiggles on them stem

I believe this model should have caliber 613. You should be able to advance the date on a 613 by pulling the crown past the time setting position, then returning it to time setting position, repeating this move to advance additional days.