Forums Latest Members
  1. Rolyf Jul 6, 2018

Hi All,
    I could use some help in identifying the part number for the wheel within the circle. If you look closely you can see a few teeth missing. The rotor makes a ratchet type noise when it rotates & I think this is the culprit.
    My best guess is that it is part 1240 or 1243 ???
    I am going to have to find this part online & would appreciate some expert advise before I start spending money on the wrong part.

Thanks a lot

005.jpg

2. ChrisN Jul 6, 2018

That part is 5501437 and it's part of the auto system. You can't just fit this yourself so, find a watchmaker who'll do it for you. You have to question why it's missing teeth so this is probably not all that needs replacing. I would suspect the winding gear 5501464 is locked up because most people don't service them properly so, they wear out and lock. You need a watchmaker and he should find the parts for you - if he can't, select a different watchmaker...

Cheers, Chris

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 6, 2018

Ratchet wheel driving wheel...

Rolyf likes this.
  4. Canuck Jul 6, 2018

If you haven’t dismantled the watch to confirm condition of all the parts in the auto winding, perhaps you should. Broken teeth on one gear can often mean broken teeth in other gears, and/or badly worn pivots, or a failing reverser gear.

felsby and Rolyf like this.
  5. Rolyf Jul 7, 2018

Thanks for the quick responses. If I were to buy a used movement for parts are there any other calibers that would be suitable?

6. ChrisN Jul 7, 2018

These should be the same in calibres 550 to 565. I am not checking all calibres as I would not buy a used movement for parts because you're likely to find wear in those parts as well. The auto mechanism is working hard as it's always being asked to do something. These parts make up the auto system:

5501464 Winding gear (some people call this the reversing wheel) and it's seven parts. If you don't strip, clean and oil these correctly then they wear out, jam and stop working - I suspect you have this problem and it's broken the teeth on your part.
    auto 1.jpg

That assembly is at the lower here and then you have the 5501437, driving gear for ratchet wheel (as Al says) plus two other little transmission gears 5501453 and 5501454, called the "large wheel of winding wheel" and "small wheel". The big bridge is the upper bridge for automatic device.
    auto 2.jpg
    Then this lower bridge for automatic device is added plus the rotor axle.
    auto 3.jpg
    Turned over and the rotor is fitted (the bush on these is often worn as well) along with the gib.
    auto 4.jpg

These parts are very small - the long dimension of the big bridge you see is about 20 mm.

All replaceable parts are available new so, choose a watchmaker and get him to look at it and resolve the issue. He can find the parts for you and fit them. Your watch will need a complete service as those broken off teeth must be somewhere and it clearly isn't working correctly... If they broke, then there must be an issue somewhere and it won't be with that wheel but it should be where those teeth mesh with the winding gear. In the first picture, your broken teeth are meshing with the right hand side of this.
    upload_2018-7-7_11-36-24.png

Good luck, Chris

Rolyf likes this.
  7. Rolyf Jul 7, 2018

Thanks a lot for you effort Chris, you have convinced me to send it to an Omega dealer.

8. ChrisN Jul 7, 2018

That's up to you but, a lot of people here won't use Omega as they say they have not had positive experiences with Omega following instructions. I have no experience of them (at least not for 15 years) as I'm hardly likely to send my watches to them. Have a read around the forum and you'll find some comments and it's up to you to make a choice. You may be very happy with what they do and I'm not trying to put you off.

If you tell us where you are, people may be able to suggest a watchmaker who specializes in vintage and will service this.

Cheers, Chris

marco, Rolyf and Archer like this.
  9. Rolyf Jul 7, 2018

That would help. I live in Natal, South Africa

10. ChrisN Jul 7, 2018

Have a look here.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/what-city-are-you-in.53404/page-16#post-994597

I only see a couple of members in South Africa but you could try sending them a private message and point to this thread to see who they use.

If not, you could do mail order as most watchmakers work like that anyway. Make sure your watch is insured and you are not advised to make incorrect statements on the customs forms.... It has been known.

Cheers, Chris

11. Rolyf Jul 16, 2018

I am looking for someone in Europe or the UK who would like to do these repairs. Can anyone help ?