Omega Seamaster Automatic - Vintage

Hi everyone! This watch belonged to my great-grandfather.

I would appreciate it if anyone could give me some information on the watch and answer one or more of the following questions:
  • What year was it built approximately?
  • What's the model name?
  • What's its current price on the vintage watch market? I do not consider selling it, I'm just curious.
  • What are its specs?
  • Is it a 14-karat gold watch? If not, how many parts of gold are in the metal?
  • My great-grandfather died 25 years ago, so the watch was not worn or serviced for 25 years. It still runs but I have not checked how accurate it is. Do you think I should go to the Omega shop and get it looked at / serviced? How much would that cost approximately? If they suggest getting some parts replaced to get it to run more accurately, should I get them replaced, or would the replacement of original parts diminish in some way the value of the watch?
  • The watch handles and the ticks where you most often have roman or Arabic numerals are partly black, partly gold. Is that a consequence of the non-gold part having oxidized? If I get the watch serviced can they deal with that?
If someone has any more information on the watch I would be thrilled if you could tell me
263a.png

Thanks a lot!

Hey Foggy_Man,

it’s always nice to have a heirloom to remember someone. I’ll try to give you at least some answers:

What year was it built approximately?

Ca. 1970s. Have a watchmaker open the watch - there’s a reference number in the case back and the serial number on the movement will help to tell you (+\-1-2 years) when it was produced.

What's the model name?

Seamaster 😀

What's its current price on the vintage watch market? I do not consider selling it, I'm just curious.

As it’s “only” gold-plated and not a particularly sought-after model, in this condition I’d say roughly 300USD.

What are its specs?

Again, all that can be found out by having it opened.

Is it a 14-karat gold watch? If not, how many parts of gold are in the metal?

No, there’s only a thin layer of gold on it - likely 20 microns.

Do you think I should go to the Omega shop and get it looked at / serviced? How much would that cost approximately? If they suggest getting some parts replaced to get it to run more accurately, should I get them replaced, or would the replacement of original parts diminish in some way the value of the watch?

Omega can restore it to as-new condition. This’ll set you back a multiple of what it’s worth, though, so it would be an emotional decision more than a financial one. If you do want to sell it it’s usually best to not invest money in a service beforehand.
Should you plan to wear it, let us know your location and people here might be able to recommend a trustworthy watchmaker in your area. Regarding replacements: this is not one of those pieces where replacing a worn part like the crown will have a massive effect on the value. I’d do it just for the looks.

The watch handles and the ticks where you most often have roman or Arabic numerals are partly black, partly gold. Is that a consequence of the non-gold part having oxidized? If I get the watch serviced can they deal with that?

Nope, that was how it left the factory. The 70s aren’t my area of expertise, might be onyx or black paint. Either way, that’s how it’s supposed to look like.
Edited:

Locate a vintage watch repairer. If you’re having difficulty finding one, post your location and someone on OF may have a local recommendation.

Send it in for a service.
Ditch the non-Omega bracelet (which can damage the lugs by wearing on them) and replace with a nice quality leather strap.
If the crystal is signed (ie, there’s an Omega logo etched in the centre) polish all the scratches out. If it’s not signed, ask the repairer to replace with a generic crystal.
Buy a jewellers polishing cloth and gently rub the gold plate shiny.
Post new photos here showing the difference - you’ll enjoy wearing this, a classy Omega that’s also an heirloom.

Thanks a lot to you both for taking the time to answer my question. You really helped me out 😀

I'm gonna put some money into the restoration of the watch and will eventually let you know how it all worked out.
I live in Zurich. I might either go to the official Omega store or look for some vintage watch repairer.

Thanks a lot to you both for taking the time to answer my question. You really helped me out 😀

I'm gonna put some money into the restoration of the watch and will eventually let you know how it all worked out.
I live in Zurich. I might either go to the official Omega store or look for some vintage watch repairer.
We’ll look forward to the 'after' photos 😀

Since you're so close by, in this case, I would suggest you take the train to Bienne and get factory service. That watch isn't particularly collectible and Omega generally charges a flat rate for most work.

If you do, be aware you will be spending maybe 600fr to make maybe a 350fr watch, and unless they replace the case at great expense, it will still look tired since the brassing on the lugs isn't something Omega can fix.