Forums Latest Members
  1. dnyan Sep 1, 2018

Hello guys,

I am interested in buying an Omega seamaster ref 2601.10.92.(link from Omega below)
    I found this watch at a watch shop in Dublin.
    I really like the watch, however the only thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger is the fact that Omega site below, says, the bracelet is gold. Now i am not sure if its a solid gold bracelet or a gold plated one, as many vintage omegas did come with plated bracelets and not a solid one.
    It would be a deal breaker for me if the bracelet is plated and not solid gold.
    Does anybody here have this watch and do you know if the bracelet on the watch is solid gold or plated?
    https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-seamaster-120-2601-10-92

Regards

2. Canuck Sep 1, 2018

You actually saw the watch in the watch shop? Did you have it in your hands? That would have been the moment that you should have found all the details. Are you still in a Dublin? Are the details you are looking for not available from the watch shop? The link you provided shows a watch on a leather strap. But the information given indicates the watch is actually on a bracelet. I am confused!

3. dnyan Sep 1, 2018

Yes i had the watch in my hand and i could not make out if the bracelet was plated or solid gold. The shop owner says its solid gold but I just need to be sure since he is quoting 6000 Euros for it and i dont want to be mugged paying that amount for a plated watch. The omega site has the pic with a leather band but the description says the original watch came with gold bracelet.

4. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Sep 1, 2018

Wouldn't there be a hallmark for solid gold?

5. dnyan Sep 1, 2018

The clasp has 750 engraved on it but I would not bet on the bracelet being solid gold because its a vintage watch.

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 1, 2018

A solid gold Omega bracelet should be marked, .0750 with an Omega symbol. This means the entire bracelet is gold.

Something like this.

dfggfd.jpg

7. dnyan Sep 1, 2018

That is exactly how the watch and the bracelet look and are engraved. The reason I doubted the watch being solid gold is the price of 6000 Euros. Wouldn't a solid gold watch with bracelet cost much more than that?

8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 1, 2018

9. dnyan Sep 1, 2018

Ok thanks for the pics and the references.

10. Canuck Sep 1, 2018

Perhaps you should arrange a pre-sale agreement that allows you to return the watch if the case and bracelet prove to have been mis-represented. Then take it to a gem lab that can verify any markings, and do an acid test on the case and bracelet. Seems you are inexperienced, and dabbling in waters that are beyond your depth.

11. dnyan Sep 2, 2018

Yeah I am inexperienced when it comes to gold watches. Being very cautious with my first gold watch purchase. I will talk to the dealer and see if we can reach a pre sale agreement. Thanks

12. Edward53 Sep 2, 2018

Not necessarily. Unless it's a particularly sought-after model, eg an early deluxe Constellation, a vintage watch is often not worth a lot more than scrap gold value. Just guessing but I doubt there is much more than 3000 euros of gold in the watch and bracelet combined and this isn't a model that people get into a fight for, so if I'm right about the gold content it is not particularly a bargain. I think there is scope for negotiation here.

13. dnyan Sep 2, 2018

Thanks Edward. The reason i got interested in the watch is because of the condition it is in. Both the case and the bracelet are in pristine condition. It almost seems as though the watch was never worn.