Forums Latest Members
  1. jele Apr 14, 2016

Hi,
    I have come across a seamaster 600 cal. 611 ref. 136.011 with brown, little bit reddish dial. I have never seen one before in brown, which makes me wonder if its a fake, repainted dial or anything like that? Have you ever seen a brown dial before and do the other details seem to be original?

Pictures here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mompa7w8n0thixt/AABuRoOUX7ClbL7D5loydWrEa?dl=0

1.jpeg 2.jpeg 3.jpeg

Sorry if this is a total newbie question, but I am new to this watch. I just liked the brown color and the simple details on this watch but want to know if its original or not. (Personally the wristband looks too tick and I would like to change that as it is not original on this watch.)

Thank you!
    Jesper

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 14, 2016

Fanciful redial.

Where is this watch coming from?

3. ConElPueblo Apr 14, 2016

Hej Jesper!

The wristband is probably the least of your worries. How does the movement look? When I see a date disc as patinated as the one on your watch, I always assume that the movement will be equally "patinated" ;)

4. jele Apr 14, 2016

Hi and thank you for your response. I may have been a little unclear but I haven't bought the watch yet. Right now its on auction in Denmark. I'm sad to hear its a redial but that was one of my first thoughts. I have no possibility to inspect the watch first so i guess your advice is don't buy. Is there any vintage seamasters with brown dial original produced, that you know about?

Thank you.
    Jesper

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 14, 2016

Ah Ha!

Those shifty Danes are at it again.

Maybe get this man to talk sternly to the seller.

Screen Shot 2016-04-14 at 6.44.19 PM.png

6. ConElPueblo Apr 14, 2016

With a name like "Jesper" chances are he's a shifty Dane as well :D

Also, I reckognise pics from Lauritz.com easily, they are pretty distinctive. @jele, the watch is extremely optimisticly valued and no one on here would ever go near it. I guess it's country of origin may be Switzerland, but it has probably lived in India for some time... A lot of similar watches can be found on eBay and they are collectively known as "Mumbai specials". There are only a few vintage Omegas that come with other dial colours than the usual, conservative styles (silver/gold/white/black...), most that are either bright green, yellow or such are poorly done redials.

Feel free to write me a PM if you'd like an opinion on watches you've seen for sale. You are more than welcome to write in Danish, I only keep it English here because of the ex-convicts in Australia and the others aren't keen on anything else ;)

For all others, here's the listing: http://www.lauritz.com/da/auktion/vintage-omega-seamaster-600-herrearmbaandsur/i4217652/

With buyer's premium it's over £400 ::facepalm2::
    For that amount of money, you could pick up a splendid, vintage Omega.

PS: set yourself an avatar, the sooner the better!

JimInOz likes this.
  7. jele Apr 14, 2016

Thanks both of you. I'm not danish but we are neighbors as I'm a swede actually. Yes, I've seen those "mumbai specials" and they seems to come in all sorts of shapes :) I want to take the opportunity to ask about those "flat" dials with painted, florescent numbers and such. Is that a specific model and what is it called. It seems to be referred to as "military" on eBay and other trustworthy sites around :) Or is all "flat" dials simply repainted dials?

Jesper

8. ConElPueblo Apr 14, 2016

...I've helped a Swede? I feel dirty :(

eBay is most definetely not a trustworthy site :D

The best piece of advice I can give you is that if you really would like to get to know about vintage Omega, is to set aside a day, make sure there are loads of coffee and treats in the house and then read through all 248 pages in the "Vintage Omega Watches" subforum. It's pretty much the collective braintrust of the internet regarding that very subject. After the first few pages, you'll learn how to reckognise a relevant subject from the thread title and you can sort through the threads easily. After you have done that, if you have been paying attention to the subject matter, you are pretty decently equipped to make a qualified evaluation on the watches you are interested in. It'll also give you some knowledge about which are interesting/uncommon and roughly what price level they should occupy.

The second best piece of advice would be to look at the sales forum here. Most of the members are reasonably trustworthy ;)

GregH and JimInOz like this.
  9. lillatroll Apr 14, 2016

ConElPueblo likes this.
  10. ConElPueblo Apr 14, 2016

There aren't many, that's for sure... I'd better go read those 248 pages again! :D