Forums Latest Members

Omega Seamaster 300 previous (2014) or newest (2021) what to do ?

1. mhoutman Mar 26, 2021

Hi all,

I have the intention to buy an Omega Seamaster 300 with black dial/bezel and steel bracelet for my eldest son who will graduate from university soon.

This week the new Seamaster 300 (ref. 234.30.41.21.01.001) was released while the old model (ref. 233.30.41.21.01.001) is still available in the shops.

The new 2021 model has a few changes to the dial and bezel which seem appealing to me but on the other hand the old model can be bought with a better discount. That said, it will take some time before the new model is in the shops.

I own the previous Moonwatch Professional in hesalite (ref. 311.30.42.30.01.005) and never felt the urge to upgrade to the latest model (ref. 310.30.42.50.01.001) so what is a wise decision concerning the Seamaster 300 ?

Thanks for your input and advise :)

kip595 likes this.
  2. Pinmeuphere Mar 26, 2021

I would suggest asking him which he'd prefer. You could even go to the boutique to have him try on each model in person together, I'm sure that would be a memorable special experience for him. Omega seem to be delivering new releases close to their announcement dates so I would expect to see them in boutiques soon similar to the new Speedmasters.

mhoutman likes this.
  3. MG-Speedy Mar 26, 2021

I own the old model (233.90.41.21.03.001) in titanium. Regarding the quality of the calibre there is not much difference I would say, since the old one already has the silicon hair spring and it is antimagnetic and resisting 15000 gauss. Ok, the new one is more rigorously tested (master chronometer certified by Metas) and its chronometer values are tested in already cased watch and not only the caliber, like normal chronometers. But I have never in 3 years had any problem with this watch and it is my most exactly running watch. In whatever position you will leave it, it will do its 0.5s/day or less. So, sometimes it happens that in the whole month it gains only 10s. So I would say it really comes to the matter of taste. I must say that I prefer the bracelet of the new one, since it tappers more (21>16 vs. 21>18). But the old one is comfortable. I appreciate the ceramic bezel, what the new one does not have (anodized aluminium). However, if you break it, it costs much more than the aluminium one. The domed glass on the new one is cool and makes the watch looking thinner (nevertheless they are both around 14,5mm). I prefer with the old one that the metal ring between the glass and the bezel is thicker (it goes more in direction to the original 1957 one). I also prefer the printed numbers on the dial and not lumed sandwich ones (alla Panerai), since it is also more to the original. They wouldn't bother me if it would be white lume, but with "vintage" fauxtina, I then prefer that the dial is more like the original 57 one. I also prefer the old shape of the crown in comparison to the new one.
    Ergo, really matter of the taste. I think you can do nothing wrong by buying a new one, unless money is "the" issue, then the old one will not perform worse than the new one, so again nothing wrong ;)

P.S.: If that helps, I can add that I would (will) not exchange the "old" one for the new one (they are to close visually and from the point of view of the build-in technology according to my view no difference).

Edited Mar 26, 2021
  4. neill1975 Mar 26, 2021

I do not think anyone is in a position to pass judgement, a watch needs to speak to you the design the look it is personal to every person. When you hold a watch in your hand that's when you really know if its for you. I don't think anyone on any forums has posted wrist shots or actually held the new watch. Until you see it in person you won't know if it is the right choice to go with the newer model or older model.

Lbennett likes this.
  5. dstfno Mar 26, 2021

The new watch is not necessarily better, these are not smartphones where you need to upgrade every few years to the latest model. You can differentiate and rate the pieces by the few cosmetic differences that they have and select the model that you like most. Both will serve your son equally well.

Personally, I would go for the older model as I don't like the excessive use of the yellow patina color on the watch. I prefer the contrast of the grey numerals on the dial and bezel of the old model. Makes the watch less boring imho.

kip595, mhoutman and nahckered like this.
  6. JeremyS Mar 28, 2021

I have the 2014 version, so I am partial to it. I think the newer version has shorter lugs, and the articulated center link near the case should make it fit a little better, much like what Omega did with the current generation Planet Ocean. Of course, if you wear it on a strap, it doesn’t make as much of a difference. The 2014 has a ceramic bezel insert with liquid metal inserts. I prefer it to aluminum, but I suppose aluminum might be cheaper to replace. Both watches are about the same thickness.

I don’t think you’d have a lesser watch if you bought the 2014 300MC. Mine is currently with omega for service. I bought it in 2015, and it recently started gaining over 6 seconds per day. Can’t wait to get it back!

mhoutman and Scooterino36 like this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 28, 2021

I’d save money and get the old one, both have d a very good movement case and design you really can’t go wrong so may as well save some money

mhoutman and Scooterino36 like this.
  8. Donn Chambers Mar 28, 2021

I have the older version, so I am probably more than a little biased. But I think it is a modern take on a classic design and will hold up for decades to come. The newer version has some improvements (the bracelet), but overall I think they messed too much with the style in order to make it different (those Panerai-style cutout numbers, the conical crown, going back to an aluminum bezel). At first glance, the new limed bezel is cool - but I’ve had a couple of watches with that feature and for me, it gets old after awhile. All you need are the hands and markers limed to be able to read at night - anything else is a gimmick.

If you want a timeless watch - get the old version. If you want what’s new and something that may not hold up in terms of style over time, get the new one. I liken it to the transition of the Mustang from the classic 68-69 Fastback to the 70-71 body style on a longer chassis. Sure, the 70-71 looks okay, but you’d have been better off buying the year-old ‘69 on the lot over the “new” one.

of course, as others have said, since you are buying this for your son, get him what he wants.

ErichPryde and mhoutman like this.
  9. Lbennett Mar 28, 2021

My 2 cents - the newer one seems to be more refined towards the stated purpose which is a vintage style dive watch - the bezel insert is aluminum and should patinate, less text on the dial, and I believe a significantly more domed crystal (not positive on that one). It looks like a more fully realized concept.

Plus it has some notable advancements - the bracelet will no doubt be better, the sandwich dial adds extra dimension, and the lume is more widely applied. I’m not sure how big the cost spread will be between the two but my initial impression is that it is an upgrade.

With that being said the fauxtina on the blue version is a dealbreaker for me but the other two variants are good to go!

I think it will ultimately come down to price, but don’t write off the new version too easily!

10. NorthLaw Mar 28, 2021

Couple thoughts. These either in addition to, or to reiterate, those described above.

The release year of the newer model will coincide with your son’s graduating year. Not sure if this is a worthwhile consideration, but worth noting.

The price difference seems relatively negligible, at $400 usd. Though the availability of discounts may vary based on availability.

I think it’s very cool that you intend to get your son this as a graduation gift. However, unless it is intended to be a surprise, I will echo what the first reply to your query indicated; I’d suggest bringing him to the retailer to decide for himself.

Best of luck. Keep us posted.

mhoutman and kip595 like this.
  11. kip595 Mar 28, 2021

I actually just got my example in of the older ref - while I had been planning to add one for some time, when the new release was leaked, I decided to wait, and then when it was officially unveiled I realized I personally prefer the older design (the contrasting numerals and markers as mentioned above, the ceramic/liquid metal bezel, etc) - but this is highly subjective.

Also someone made a really good point, if the styling doesn't sway you, it may be kind of cool for him to know he not only got a watch for graduation, but new to that very year, so there are definitely possibilities I could see for going with the newer model.

Hard to make a 'bad' choice here - if you have a good relationship w/your AD or boutique, what you may be able to get them to do is hold an older example for a few days if they have any when the new comes in, place a deposit assuring them you're buying one or the other, and then take your son in as a surprise they can choose - did this once for a girlfriend with a Tiffany release, and my relationship with the Tiffany store was a LOT less solid than with the Omega boutique across the street - just an idea!

Good luck :)

p.s. And cheers to being a great dad!

mhoutman, NorthLaw and Lbennett like this.
  12. marcn Enough space to say witty Mar 28, 2021

Either of them makes an awesome grad gift, and I’d lean towards the 2021 since its release date is keyed to the graduation year.

Here in the US at least, the new steel with bracelet is showing an MSRP $300 less than the previous model, but if there really are discounts on the old, maybe that equalizes or improves things from a price point.

Do keep us posted! It’s a win-win either way!

mhoutman likes this.
  13. Rado63 Mar 28, 2021

Since you asked for opinions I will give mine. While it remains 41mm, The new model really doubles down on the heritage look. The sandwich dial, lollipop seconds hand, and now all the numerals appear in the vintage colored lume. The bracelet was improved with the new adjustability. My personal favorite of the modern re editions is the Spectre limited edition version because I like the second time zone bezel and 3,6,9 dial. As for your decision the outgoing version and the new version to me seem like a toss up, but the new bracelet may give the new edition the edge.

14. mhoutman Apr 2, 2021

Hi all, thank you very much for your advice and thought.

I told my boy about my plan so last week he went to an AD to see the SM300 (2014) himself. To be honest he didn’t like the shiny bracelet, which will be different in the 2021 model. Also he felt with 41 mm size it is a tad too big.

This week I got an excellent offer for a new and unworn Seamaster 300 Trilogy 1957 and thought this would be the ideal gift. So I bought it in an instant.

I know some may dislike this edition but to me it is the excellent mixture of vintage in a modern implementation. With a tapered bracelet it would even be better, but well, you can’t have it all.

Nowhere man, kip595, marcn and 2 others like this.
  15. MG-Speedy Apr 2, 2021

38ECE04E-E6FF-4E7F-8B10-905ABEC57A5E.jpeg
    I think you did an excellent choice! It has the master chronometer movement and it is thinnest of all of them in a classic diameter. I agree with you regarding bracelet. That’s why I put it on the canvas ;). Cheers Mat

ErichPryde likes this.
  16. Lbennett Apr 2, 2021

Great pick and congratulations!!

mhoutman likes this.
  17. mhoutman Apr 2, 2021

The Spectre might even be a better choice but it is very hard to find as NOS

Never understood the choice for the bulky bracelet though..

FWIW I added a Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary, bracelet ref 020STZ011626 to my 2019 moonwatch and it became something completely different

18. arno Apr 2, 2021

Very hard to choose unless you want a blue dial without having to pay the Titanium price.
    If you want the black dial and stainless steel, both are great. i bought the 2014 model a few weeks ago, and the only think it misses, to me, is the lolipop second hand ...

19. Scooterino36 Aug 25, 2021

Has anyone had the chance to try the new model’s bracelet on the 2014 model? Really curious to see if it fits. Would probably take the plunge and order one if it did. The bracelet endlinks are the only thing keeping the 2014 model from being perfect in my view.

ErichPryde and Donn Chambers like this.
  20. rcs914 Mar 17, 2022

For Christmas I got one of the Uncle Seiko 1450 bracelets, to which I added one of these:

[​IMG]

An 1162/733 clasp. The whole thing just feels right now and I love it.