Forums Latest Members
  1. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Jun 13, 2015

Hi everyone,

I posted my introduction just this week and thought I would follow that up with a short description and some photos of my catalyst into horology and collecting. While studying in 2011 my now in-laws visited for a weekend. My gf and her mom were gossiping away and for some reason sorting through my mother-in-law's hand bag when she pulled out a little silver watch head. My gf knew I had a thing for watches, just a Guess fashion watch at that time, and chucked the watch, literally, my way. I had a look at the little watch with its cracked and scuffed crystal and dull case and could just make out the name, Omega. Apparently the watch belonged to her late husband and she had kept it in her handbag for the last few months with the intention of getting rid of it. I was more than happy to accept it.

Within the week I took it to a local jeweller and discussed the watch with the salesman. I regret not being more knowledgeable at the time as I would have done a few things differently. Firstly, I would have taken many photos of the watch in its original condition. I would have then just had the watch serviced and the crystal replaced, thereafter considering whether to polish the case or not. In any case the front of the case was polished but the back was left untouched, thank goodness for that. It took a very long time for the watch to return from the spa but when it came back I was more than impressed. The little Omega was a stunner! One other thing I would have done was request that the watchmaker note the reference no. and calibre no. so that I can finish my homework on the watch. Yes, I admit, in 4 years I haven't seen the inside of my own watch. I really want to but haven't had the guts to open it and risk damaging it... the caseback already has scars from someone trying to open it. With the aesthetics I think that it is a cal. 286 with a reference of either 135.0003 or 135.0007. I love the dial and think its a linen dial... I want to open the caseback in the near future and confirm all of this though. Anyway enough rambling, here are some photos of it now... Seamaster - Watch.jpg Seamaster - Dial 1.jpg Seamaster - Dial 2.jpg Seamaster - Dial 3.jpg Seamaster - Crown.jpg Seamaster - Case back.jpg

2. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Jun 13, 2015

Forgot to mention that any comments, criticism, advice or suggestions are welcomed!:)

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 13, 2015

Great photos and a really nice watch! I really like that textured dial.

Mine says hi - though not seamaster branded..

IMG_20150329_102851_edit.jpg

4. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Jun 13, 2015

Thanks @oddboy love the sword hands on yours, or are they called alpha hands??? Are they original to the watch?

Am I correct in saying these came on leather straps originally? I would like to get a Milanese strap for it. What do you think?

5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 13, 2015

I believe they're generally called alpha hands.. Dauphine is another term I think too.

I imagine they did come originally on leather. Check the Omega Vintage Watch Database. It probably has some images. I think a Milanese would look great!

6. tdn-dk Jun 13, 2015

Seamaster 30, ref. 135.003, caliber 286, linen dial

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

oddboy likes this.
  7. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Jun 13, 2015

Wow @tdn-dk thanks for posting and clarifying the reference. Yours is a beauty!

8. speedbird Jun 14, 2015

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1964 SM30.

9. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jun 14, 2015

Nice watch VanDamme!!! I really like the linen dials too. Mine also says "hi" :)
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

10. speedbird Jun 14, 2015

I love the SM30. I was kinda hot on selling mine but I'm cooling to the idea.

11. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Jun 15, 2015

Hi @speedbird nice watch:thumbsup: which bracelet do you have on your watch in the first pic? I have been considering getting a Milanese bracelet for mine but hadn't finished researching if there are other bracelets available. As your extract notes, "Not mentioned". Is there a specific name for your dial?

I love these linen dials too @Togri v. 2.0 and actually found these hard to find on the net until now that is. I had only seen 1 other Seamaster 30 with this dial before now.