Forums Latest Members
  1. seann Jan 8, 2016

Hello.

This is my first post on this (or any other) forum, ever. I've been looking at watches for a number of years and my girlfriend recently sent me a link to a watch on etsy which has resparked my interest. I have done a lot of reading the last couple days and am hoping that everyone will be willing to help me assess this watch that she sent me. I've already decided to not purchase it, but have been looking further at it to learn what I can. It's gold plated, which I gather isn't the most desirable, and runs about 15 minutes fast I guess. Am I aloud to post the link to it so that others can share their thoughts? Or is that not appropriate?

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 8, 2016

At the very least, post the photos. Links to eBay are posted all the time, as long as you're not the seller of the watch you're linking to.

3. seann Jan 8, 2016

Ok. Images follow. The more I look the more I'm convinced it's not a collectors piece at all. Beyond the gold plating the hands look off.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 8, 2016

That's just shagged out, not worth buying

5. seann Jan 8, 2016

For learning purposes could you point to a few characteristics that lead you to that conclusion?

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 8, 2016

See how crummy the dial looks? Not all watches look like that, this is just as bad example, the large chip missing in the gold on the bottom right lug (front on) is also too costly to fix compared to the value of the watch.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 8, 2016

A nice example in steel would look like this:

[​IMG]

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 8, 2016

Dial is dented, looks like it spent a bit of time without a crystal

9. seann Jan 8, 2016

At 10 o'clock. Would those marks possibly mean water?

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 8, 2016

That watch was ridden hard and hung up wet.

You can do better regardless of price.
    gatorcpa

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 8, 2016

Incidentally I've often looked but have never seen a vintage Omega for sane money on Etsy. The problem is that almost everything on Etsy is overpriced crap, like shitty $2 chipboard cupboards that have been intentionally poorly painted to let the undercoat show through in places and clothes that fall apart in the washing machine.

I have no doubt the seller thinks that watch looks "Shabby Chic" or something and considers its awful condition to be acceptable but really Omega made 10s of millions of watches in the 40s 50s and 60s, and there are so many good ones that these are just movement parts donors at most.

Watch guys like nice patina, but this is not what we like:

[​IMG]

Seriously, chicks buy that shit. And pay way too much for it on Etsy. Like Jack and the Beanstalk but with rubbish furniture.

kippyk and cicindela like this.
  12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 8, 2016

Liam96144 and ahsposo like this.
  13. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jan 8, 2016

I religiously follow Handy Dan and his Hamilton Chronicles.

But yes I've found etsy pretty forlorn and over-priced myself.

14. arkstfan Jan 8, 2016

Poor thing beaten to death. Believe the hands are wrong as well.