Forums Latest Members
  1. Gmax Jun 12, 2013

Hello, I am new to the forum. I currently own a Planet Ocean 2500, Great White, Chocolate Speedy and most recently I picked up the Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary.

The hour hand is stuck, not advancing past 10. I read somewhere that this is not an uncommon problem with this movement. I have the watch at my very competent local watchmaker for a complete service. He has an Omega Parts account but primarily works on Rolex. I am wondering if I can forward any specific advice on how to rectify this problem so it doesn't re-occur. Any help would be appreciated. I'll post some pics when I get it back. Thanks again!

Geoff

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 12, 2013

Make sure he replaces the hour wheel...assuming this is an H1 version of the Cal. 1128 (which he can confirm via the serial number on the Omega Extranet if he indeed has an account) the part number would be 722112831046.

These fail quite often and provide the 1 hour "clicks" of the hour hand. I now have started to replace these on every 1128 that I service as a standard replacement part.

Cheers, Al

3. Gmax Jun 12, 2013

Thanks Al, really appreciate the prompt reply.

4. seadweller30 Jun 12, 2013

You definately asked that question on the correct site.

Great answer!

5. Spy You know my name. Jun 12, 2013

I think the answer has been covered, so I got nothing except....

Welcome to OMEGA.net! :cool:

Bimmerman77 and Fusion like this.
  6. Gmax Jun 24, 2013

Hello Archer, this is a follow up on your recent (and most appreciated) reply to me about my Omega 2534-50 service. Are there any other parts that you would automatically replace in this watch on a complete service? My local watchmaker is certified with Rolex and recently Omega, but I don't think he has much experience with Omega. He also says it's taking forever to get the password for their parts site. So if there are additional parts that should be replaced, if you could also include the part numbers that would be great. He says he has no problems ordering parts, just finding the numbers.

Sorry to be such a bother and MANY, MANY thanks. Other readers sorry...I tried to PM Archer but the message was too long. However I am open to any input on this thread.

THANK YOU !

Geoff

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 24, 2013

Hopefully he would replace the mainspring and of course the case back gasket as a minimum. If the watch does not pass pressure testing he may also want to replace the crown.

Cheers, Al

8. Gmax Jun 25, 2013

Thanks Al !

9. fskywalker Oct 10, 2014

Archer: How much approximately would it be to do that repair? (replacing the part # 722112831046) Someone is selling a GMT 50th with this issue and wonder how much would the repair cost to then see if the price is reasonable.

Thanks

Francisco

10. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Oct 10, 2014

The man's just home from the hospital and we are working him like a dog!

imagesE72M02D6.jpg

Do you see how much we need you, pal?

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 11, 2014

LOL! Okay just to clarify that is not a photo of me...

Anyway, the cost of the part is small - $20 going from memory, but of course the watch has to be partially disassembled to exchange this part. Hands and dial removed, and calendar mechanism must be partially disassembled to get to the hour wheel.

You would have to find someone willing to do a partial repair, or have it done as part of a full service. Cost would depend on who does the work.

Cheers, Al

8100_RPM and Fusion like this.
  12. Gmax Jan 3, 2015

Hi Al, OR ANYONE!!

Sorry to resurface an old thread. My local watchmaker has had my 2534.50 for almost 18 mos. He replaced the part you mentioned plus the mainspring and some other parts. The hour hand still loses about 4 hours/month on a winder. I have attached the service bulletin he received from Omega concerning this movement and as I said that part has been replaced. He refuses to do any more work on this "problem movement". Can you suggest someone who is familiar with this model and can fix it once and for all? The watch is in great condition except it won't keep time!!
    I have attached a pic of the watch and both pages of the service bulletin he was working from.

Thanks very much for any help,

Geoff
    Omega Pic.jpg Omega Documents.jpeg
    Omega Documents page 2.jpeg

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 3, 2015

Did he replace the hour wheel also, as my initial posts suggested? There is no service bulletin on the hour wheel issue I described above - it just comes with experience in knowing what part is worn out.

Sounds like he is in over his head. No idea where you are located, but you could always send the watch to Omega.

Cheers, Al

14. Gmax Jan 3, 2015

Yes he did replace the hour wheel first. I am in Cincinnati. Do you have any idea what the Omega service would cost?

Thanks Al,

Geoff

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 3, 2015

It will be listed on Omega's web site.

Cheers, Al

16. Gmax Jan 3, 2015

Looks like $490...in case anyone else is interested.

I was hoping to get it fixed for about half of that. Been a money pit so far...

17. valfre Nov 4, 2019

Sorry for adding some more word to this issue but what i do not understand is if the spare parts that need to be replaced for fixing the hour loss problem are :

1128 31.046 Hour wheel and 1128 31.100 Setting wheel
    the setting wheel is listed in the bulletin but i do non understand if this is used only in the first watch made (i have one tha already have the speedmaster bracelet 2008)

reading what Archer wrote it looks like only 1128 31.046 is needed, Correct ?

The other question is archer is talking about different part number and not :
    1128 31.046
    1128 31.100

I am located in Italy sorry for my poor english

fskywalker likes this.
  18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 4, 2019

There are two different issues in this thread. One is the failure of the hour wheel, and when this happens the hour wheel doesn't have the one hour clicks anymore when you set it. It can also result in the hour hand not moving at all when the date change begins, and that looks like this:

This problem results in the hour hand stopping and the watch not being functional, so it's more obvious and common. It's a failure of a part from wear.

The second problem is very different, and honestly I've never seen the one that is listed in that bulletin. It is a design issue that only affects very early versions of the movement. In that scenario, the watch will loose time at random, and it won't be as obvious as the situation with the hour wheel failure.

Cheers, Al

fskywalker likes this.
  19. valfre Nov 4, 2019

OK Archer,
    from you words i can assume that the problem shown in the bulletin is not present in my watch.
    What happened to me is that after 8 day i was wearing it (i bought it 8 day before from a man that was non using it from 4 years) i waked up at 6 in the morning and the watch was showing to me 5 in the morning, when i went in bed at 23:30 it was showing the right time.
    The situation shown in the youtube video, you posted, does non happen to me, so i guess the "1128 31.046 Hour wheel" replacement is non needed even the 1128 31.100 Setting wheel should not be the cause of the problem because the watch is not one of the first one built.

The question is now : what kind of problem is in it ? It may it need a good cleaning after 11 years. The watch anyway is keeping perfect time (+3 sec/day) the only problem is the one i explained "random loose of one hour only happened once in 10 days" :(
    Thank you

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 4, 2019

If the watch hasn't been serviced in 11 years, then it's time to do so.