Forums Latest Members

Omega Seamaster 1970 (Blue Dial?)

1. chitroda.b Aug 23, 2017

Hi,
    Not sure if this post belongs here. I just bought this beauty online. Claimed to be 1970s Omega Seamaster with Cal. 1020 movement.

In "T SWISS MADE T", words SWISS and MADE are apart and I am not sure if T marks were printed on this 1970 Seamaster. Checking Omega watch planet website, I do not see a record of a blue dial. Concern is authenticity.

Is this completely untouched or a repainted dial? Do you know the model and make of this watch?

Please help. 563b48225248952e838d157e5fed7454_large.jpg 1897f70c2f85c02dd98d2987b71f77b3_large.jpg

2. Shailor Aug 23, 2017

Photos of the case back and sides would help.

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 23, 2017

Need inside the case back for model number.

Think you know already when it comes to dial.;)
    ( good looking watch non the less, and hopefully you didn't pay too much for it )

chitroda.b likes this.
  4. chitroda.b Aug 23, 2017

Thank you for the reply. I bought this on TouchOfModern. They do not have other pictures. Thought it was a good deal at $999, clicked BUY NOW. I have asked their support regarding the dial. I am doubtful of the T SWISS MADE T printed at the bottom. And the blue dial.

Only other pic I have is this, they do not provide other info. Its trust based selling (LOL!!!). I have bought watches from them, never faced an issue.
    16305085eb133bb16fba57081500ae93_large.jpg

Touch Of Modern claim to sell 100% authentic watches. Its a startup in California with wide network of dealers and watchmakers. They will refund full amount if I challenge the authenticity. Want to make sure I don't lose out on a good omega before making sure.

5. ChrisN Aug 23, 2017

I think @STANDY, you're saying this is a redial?

I don't collect these but am not seeing anything wrong with the dial apart from the disappearing 22 marker which seems to be down to a smear on the crystal? It's an odd colour but all the fonts look fine as does the marker spacing - even the "Swiss made" fonts although the spacing is unusual. I don't have anything like this to compare it to though but with these photos, I'd say this is original - happy to be corrected though as sometimes the differences are hardly visible.

I don't like the difference in the day and date wheel colours and it is very much overpriced, unless they have serviced it and it comes with a warranty. Even then, it's overpriced to me but it's hard if you're not used to buying vintage watches as it is often safer to pay dealer markups to avoid buying a real disaster.

Regards, Chris

6. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 23, 2017

Might just be the pics, but the lume in the hands looks off, and neither the minute nor second hand reach the minute tick marks. Also there are tick marks at the 'furniture'. And as ChrisN points out, the mis-matched day and date wheel colors (one newer then the other?).

The case looks great, which would make me wonder if it was truly original or a replacement. That is where pics of the inside of the case back would be beneficial.

7. ChrisN Aug 23, 2017

Hmm, good points and now I've opened it on the laptop, there doesn't appear to be any lume on the dial at all at the furniture. Bit odd as there is lume on the hands....

I think you and @STANDY are right now. Looks more like a redial to me as well.

Cheers, Chris

STANDY and Archer like this.
  8. chitroda.b Aug 23, 2017

I guess an inside pic would help me get an answer. I have requested for one. I'll post one as soon as I get it. $999 is a bit expensive, but I couldn't get a blue dial with 1020/1022 movement. So, I thought they are not widely available in the market.

I did find one record showing similar dial on the planet-omega website. Hands don't reach the tick marks. But the dial specifications are Silvered (.011) or dark grey (.012) with Luminous hands.

https://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-details/14981/

I really appreciate your comments on this. Thank you

9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 23, 2017

Looks like a redialed Geneve 166.0120.

And even if it were original at $999 it would be overpriced by two times.

Davidt and chitroda.b like this.
  10. chitroda.b Aug 23, 2017

I was in touch with one more dealer for a grey dial. Perfectly fine, not a repainted dial and matches the link with omegawatches.com I posted above. He asked for $1245, so I thought the average cost of this 1970 Seamaster 1020 is around $1k.

Well I just canceled the order. Search for a new watch begins!!!

Great help!!! Thank you for your inputs. I have a clear picture in my mind now.

11. ChrisN Aug 23, 2017

These 70s models are not so collectable, it appears.

For $1000 or so, you could get a very nice 60s watch and the choice is huge. Have a look on the private watch sales here. If it must be 70s, there are still some great models.

If you're not sure exactly what you want, have a look on the WRUW thread and you'll soon be lost...:D

Cheers, Chris

12. dialstatic Aug 24, 2017

Could be, but I've recently seen an example of one specific day and one specific date being discolored/yellow whereas all the others were still white. I chalked it up to the watch having been in a vintage shop window for a very long time (non-running, obv.)