Forums Latest Members
  1. mikekchc Oct 17, 2019

Hi OF,

I just received some sad news that my grandfather passed away earlier today. He owned a 1962 Calibre 562 18k Gold Omega Seamaster with Date.

My dad had shared that he remembers his dad, my grandfather receiving this watch as a gift from my grandmother when their convenience store in Hong Kong back in the 60s was doing well or just opened. They had a choice between Rolex and Omega, and my grandfather chose Omega. My grandfather would wear it out to dinners with his friends or out for a drive on his car. Eventually, they immigrated over to Canada and he stopped wearing the watch and left it in a drawer for over 35 years. Until, three years ago, when I got into watches and was talking to my dad about it. A day later, he dug this watch up and it’s been on my wrist whenever I am thinking of him.

The gold bracelet that I received it on 8664908A-F44E-4F71-BE4E-6089A308E2F1.jpeg
    See photo - is an aftermarket bracelet. When I took it off the watch, parts of it crumbled and fell apart. I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what the original strap or bracelet this watch would have likely came from and where I could find out more information. I would love to find an OEM bracelet or time correct bracelet for it.

I believe it is ref. BA 166.010. It has never been serviced, and as mentioned, sat in a drawer for over 35 years. I went to my OB two years ago and they dug up the info below, which I took a photo of below. The watch is running slow, and the service cost 800 dollars, so I haven’t done it yet. Maybe it’s time... 46E8010D-0E7C-4590-8CF2-7EABA7753FD8.jpeg

Walrus, mydeafcat and McKinley like this.
  2. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Oct 17, 2019

Looks very nice - especially since it’s an heirloom with a great history.

Other OF members will probably provide more detailed information but most here are fans of the 5** series of Omega movements.

If you post where you live - I’m assuming you’re still in Canada, someone will be able to recommend a none OB watchmaker who will probably charge far less and do a better job servicing than the OB, and who is far more likely to maintain the integrity of the watch and movement.

I’m pleased to read that the aftermarket bracelet is off. Those bracelets can badly damage the lugs and, as your catalogue photos show, the watch would have had a good quality leather strap.

mikekchc and apsm100 like this.
  3. lindo Oct 18, 2019

I agree that the aftermarket bracelet is badddddd. You can see the damage it has done to the edges of the top lugs. In any event it looks terrible, as did a great many of its contemporary aftermarket bracelets. Fitting a nice leather strap with an Omega buckle will improve it immediately (and they are easy to find on ebay).
    I would forget about finding an original 18K gold Omega bracelet for it. Apart from the extremely remote chances of finding one, the cost would make your eyes water simply because of the gold scrap value.

mikekchc likes this.
  4. Verdi Oct 18, 2019

You should be able to get it serviced for 200-250 bucks with a good independent. The canadian members can recommend you someone, I guess.

I would get a nice leather strap for it after servicing it. You can find a good one for under 50 bucks. Hirsch has some good ones for 30usd.

Edited Oct 18, 2019
    mikekchc likes this.
  5. Edward53 Oct 18, 2019

800 dollars?? No way should you pay anything like that!! Looks a nice watch btw.

mikekchc likes this.
  6. mydeafcat Oct 18, 2019

Mike, my condolences on the loss of your grandfather.

I believe you’re on the West Coast so I suspect you already know about Norbert (aka The German Watchmaker) located in Yaletown. He enjoys a great reputation here in Vancouver and has a deep appreciation for earlier Omegas. His is the first place I go to. He won’t bullshit you either. Cash only.

As well, you may wish to contact vanallard here on OF; he once mentioned a fellow he relies on (in New Westminster) for his vintage pieces. I believe this watchmaker has some direct Omega factory experience.

Michael

mikekchc likes this.
  7. mikekchc Nov 1, 2019

Thanks everyone for your feedback and thoughts!

I will definitely check out The German Watchmaker - I actually forgot about them...