Forums Latest Members
  1. Thomasip Sep 21, 2019

I’m new to the forum and really like what I see. I live in North Myrtle Beach SC and have been here since 2003 after moving here from Annapolis, MD. I collected and repaired clocks as a hobby for many years and was active in the local chapter of the NAWCC. About 35 years ago a friend of mine gave me the Omega pocket watch shown in the attached photos. It was given to him by his grandfather and he had nobody to pass it on to. It does have a stopwatch feature built in that just suddenly stopped working. It feels like something is simply hung up. At any rate I was interested in knowing more about this watch. My photography is not the best but hopefully good enough to give you a good idea of what I have.

396DCE67-EC54-479B-AA5E-1AE6B607E57C.jpeg 962E2D60-7BB5-4EEA-AC65-33737F90354D.jpeg E710143F-44EE-4577-96F4-676BF46C7C47.jpeg D6221646-48FB-41A7-9626-D5A17DC622B9.jpeg 3C2CC121-A541-4C6D-8747-FFADC0D35E91.jpeg C9077B4F-53EE-46A2-A709-825571063EDD.jpeg 504B00BE-B4DF-4728-AA88-46C8230A2167.jpeg 2D64EEC0-3BD8-4F06-AF75-15D74CDC5D71.jpeg
    ConElPueblo, KingCrouchy and chronos like this.
  2. Vitezi Sep 21, 2019

JimInOz likes this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 21, 2019

I think you have a very nice early pocket chronograph. My guess is a caliber 19''' CRO which was introduced in 1898 and I suspect your watch dates to around the turn of the 19th/20th century.

If the case was made by Omega, the serial number would put your watch somewhere around 1904.

The "M" stamp on the bridge signifies that the movement is Metal (brass/copper etc), not a noble metal like gold.

Aside from some hairs in the movement I can't see anything broken (is the chrono actuator pin missing?) so a good watchmaker should be able to bring it back to life.

cro19.png

Vitezi, OMTOM and KingCrouchy like this.
  4. OMTOM Sep 22, 2019

Thank you for the invitation @Vitezi! Yes, I think I can offer a bit. I agree with JimInOz’s comments, very good.

This is a 19’’’CHRO, the first of Omega’s chronographs, originally dating from 1898 – and because of this dating, I’d expect the movement to be a 19’’’ CHRO HNB.

The case will be listed as ‘Acier’ – which is French for steel, but in those days not stainless steel: it would be mild steel and possibly with a gun metal finish. The case looks original (Omega) to me: we see the inner case-back/dustcover – I think the outer case-back will have the Omega mark on the inside.

I agree with Jim that the case number dates it at around 1904. The movement number will of course be under the dial.

The minute track on the dial is marked to 1/5th second – which is why it is marked up to 300. Of significance is that there are two sub-dials – continuous seconds at 6 o’clock and at 12 o’clock is a 30 minute counter. Later dials on the 19’’’CHRO were the ‘special A.T.’ dial with the ‘CADRAN BREVETE S.G.D.G.’ – which (typically) did not have a sub-dial at 6 o’clock and the sub-dial at 12 o’clock was a 15 minute counter.

Jim is correct in noting the ‘M’ on the movement (to which @Tire-comedon has previously referred), which was used on watches destined for France. ‘M’ was used if the movement was cased in metal, ‘A’ (for Argent) if the case was silver and ‘O’ (for Or) if the case was gold.

My own version in gun metal, quite similar to the OP’s, is below. This came from another distinguished OF member!
    Lovely watches – and now over 120 years old!
    OF OCZZF a.jpg
    OF OCZZF b.jpg

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 22, 2019

One of the many reasons I love OF, I get a history lesson every day!

As always, thanks to the members who regularly share their vast knowledge. :thumbsup:

DaveK and KingCrouchy like this.
  6. iamnuts Sep 22, 2019

Such a beautiful watch in the gun metal with the gold hands.
    May I enquire as to how much such a beautiful piece would go for. I'll be having to keep an eye on the seller sites if it's not to expensive :)

7. chronoboy64 Sep 22, 2019

wonderful pieces and great advice from @OMTOM :thumbsup:

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 22, 2019

Thanks for your detailed description @OMTOM.

It all goes into the memory bank (but for how long :rolleyes:) and even at my age, it's a learning day every day.

I had it in my head that the "M" meant a metal movement (not case) so once again, learning the correct meaning will have to be plugged in to a vacant spot in my memory bank.

I also didn't realise I was looking at the inside of the movement cover and not the caseback. I shall have to pay more attention in future. :whipped:

Tom, while you are here, can you explain the difference between HN (Negative setting) and NN (New Negative). I've never been able to find any reference to the two modes and how they differ.

Finally, thankyou for the photos of your 19''' CRO ::love::.

Cheers
    Jim

chronoboy64 likes this.
  9. OMTOM Sep 22, 2019

Jim, your ‘simple’ and interesting question touches on two separate subjects – each interesting and NOT simple. But I suggest not appropriate in this thread – they would be worthy of threads of their own.

A brief comment here though to say that I don’t think this is a negative set movement.

The movement reference (HNB) (if I am correct!) was a hangover from the early classifications at the beginning of the Omega operation. The same movement (both simple and CHRO versions) became a 19’’’LOB: the ‘L’ was ‘Lepine’ (and could therefore have been ‘S’ for savonette); the ‘O’ was Omega (because the operation included manufacture of ‘other types’, not only Omega); the ‘B’ was movement quality (and could have been A, C and right up to DDR).

The Omega operation (as it became) started in 1894 – but was of course a continuation of the long-established Louis Brandt operation. Some of these early references are not understood but here is an example of the transition of classification.

The above is my understanding - I may be wrong.
    As for more on the negative set theme, maybe @Tire-comedon or @watchtinker or others could come in here, perhaps on a new thread?

As so often, David Boettcher’s excellent website offers something – here: http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/watchmovement.html

10. Thomasip Oct 6, 2019

Thanks to everyone for your insight into my watch. A very great learning experience.

11. kev1976t Oct 6, 2019

It has made a nice change to see the pictures of this lovely looking pocket watch.