Omega pocket watch identification needed

Hi there,

My father passed away a while back and had a pocket watch which was kept in a safety deposit box in his home country, the bank contacted us to return his items which were a complete mystery.

I'm intrigued as to it's age/model to try to understand more about it's history - I believe from the serial number and the small amount of research I've done it could be from 1923 onwards.

Would anyone be able to enlighten me, the dial is still working and it seems in great condition to me (again, I no nothing about watches so this could be incorrect!)

Serial number is 6463493

Thank you in advance!

More heirloom value than monetary. 14kt gold case. Probably a simple movement. Nothing fancy

if back is also hinged. Might be a little tab to lift it open. Might also be a thin slot opening between back and center case or it’s a screw back.

movement shot helps a bit more

Like 2
I agree with the post above.

Any gold hallmarks on the chain?

Your watch has a Ferguson-style dial (the red 24hr markings), which is usually more associated with railroad grade watches, than smaller dress watches like this one seems to be. I know very little about these dials, but if you ever get it serviced it would be interesting to see a picture of the back of the dial. Certainly get it serviced if you plan to wear it, expect $250 +/- CAD for a service.

Edit: If you revise the title of your post to something along the lines of “Omega pocket watch identification needed” you’ll get more of the right eyeballs on it

Like 1
Quoted member DON
More heirloom value than monetary. 14kt gold case. Probably a simple movement. Nothing fancy

if back is also hinged. Might be a little tab to lift it open. Might also be a thin slot opening between back and center case or it’s a screw back.

movement shot helps a bit more

Watched a video and found out how to get that open, what exactly did you mean by movement shot? (Apologies, haven't the foggiest)

Like 2
I agree with the post above.

Any gold hallmarks on the chain?

Your watch has a Ferguson-style dial (the red 24hr markings), which is usually more associated with railroad grade watches, than smaller dress watches like this one seems to be. I know very little about these dials, but if you ever get it serviced it would be interesting to see a picture of the back of the dial. Certainly get it serviced if you plan to wear it, expect $250 +/- CAD for a service.

Edit: If you revise the title of your post to something along the lines of “Omega pocket watch identification needed” you’ll get more of the right eyeballs on it
Thank you, have updated - unsure where to find the hallmarks on the chain so back to Google it is! Will update when I know :)

I suspect the red 24h numerals were an aftermarket addition, they are so sloppily applied and poorly placed. Apparently that was popular at one time.

There are a few inconsistencies with that. The movement serial is from around 1915 but the case serial (which runs in a different series), is from more like 1922. The outer case has a 14K stamp, but the inner cover says Metal (which means it is not gold). Normally all of the case would be solid gold if there was a hallmark so that is unusual but I guess different countries may have different laws regarding this.

I too have grave doubts about the originality of the dial, particularly the 24hr markings. I too can't see that being factory printed.

Value wise, prob around its melt sadly, which being mostly 14K might run to 4 figures so still not to be sniffed at.
Edited:

Like 1
There are a few inconsistencies with that. The movement serial is Its from around 1915 but the case serial (which runs in a different series), is from more like 1922. The outer case has a 14K stamp, but the inner cover says Metal (which means it is not gold). Normally all of the case woudl be solid gold if there was a hallmark so that is unusual but I guess different countries may have different laws regarding this.

I too have grave doubts about the originality of the dial, particularly the 24hr ring. I can't see that being factory printed either.

Value wise, prob around its melt sadly, which being mostly 14K might run to 4 figures so still not to be sniffed at.
Thank you, for context my Dad was Swedish, born in 1948, if that helps with anything, though he lived in South Africa from 1970ish, I think this was deposited afterwards, seems a curious tale as I can't find anything similar online.

Pleased to have found this forum, you guys really know your stuff so thank you all, look forward to hearing more.