Forums Latest Members
  1. lao.antho Jun 16, 2016

Hi guys i need informations about this watch what are you think about? i have no informations thx[​IMG]

2. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 16, 2016

There is a ton of research available online on the PloProf.

The Google machine llis amazing.

Take a crack at it first and see what you dig up.

Looks like a very nice original example with a somewhat rare dial variant.

What can you tell us about it?

3. lao.antho Jun 16, 2016

Thx for your reply it's someone propose me this watch i don't have informations about it
    my research is the dial is it good if yes correspond since when etc
    the dial is only seamaster 600 without the 1200ft and professional

I explain I like this watch but I have no information I never make research about it hihi

Thx

4. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jun 16, 2016

5. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 16, 2016

That website will answer your questions and give you a good baseline of info.

6. lao.antho Jun 16, 2016

thx for the link

7. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Jun 16, 2016

+1 on that website. Absolutely THE place to start when learning about Ploprofs.

That being said, I have two of these (but in no way an expert) and what I would add is.......break your assessment down into two parts: appearance and movement.

Appearance -- is it original, attractive and for the mk3 versions, is its luminous material tritium vs. superluminova (my pref....but you should create your own requirements)? Your dial is an mk2 and is very attractive to my eye. Nice little coral rash (or concrete wall) on a beautiful bezel. Hands look all original to me....but I am easily fooled. Case looks a little questionable to me but other pictures would be very helpful.

Movement -- to me, this is where it gets tricky and most critically important. Because these monsters are so hard to open, very few people will open them which makes them virtually the only watch you buy today with the movement "sight unseen"! This means, you never know what you are going to get.....and that's not good. Adding to the risk is the fact that the Ploprof''s movements are prone to issues (my experience anyway) and thus your odds of getting lucky on your "blind" buy go waaaay down.

If I ever buy another one of these...which I probably will (have a 1 and 2 and need a 3), I will put the largest premium on it having a documented service history by a reputable watchmaker.

Hope this helps.

8. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jun 16, 2016

Very nice assessment @RawArcher

I too think more case pics are required to make a better assessment, but what I see, it looks over polished.

Totally agree on movement. By default any ploprof I purchase in future, I will assume a full service is needed. And from a collectors perspective if movement number does not match extract it will be a huge hit on price.

Here is mine. Would love to source some tritium hands.
    IMG_20160615_074148.jpg

9. watchlovr Jun 16, 2016

lao.antho and Taddyangle like this.
  10. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 16, 2016

Why does it always turn into a picture show?

Here a few of mine.
    20160616_131855.png 20160616_131726.png

20160616_131841.png
  11. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Jun 16, 2016

lao.antho likes this.
  12. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 16, 2016

I believe so, has the same glow color as the hands and bezel after you hit with a flashlight, and is the same as all of my other tritium SMs.

It has kind of a green hue in certian light.

Was a 1 owner watch that supposedly never went to Omega for service.

lao.antho likes this.
  13. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Jun 16, 2016

Then Dibs!

14. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 16, 2016

A little better shot of dial.
    20160616_134509.png

lao.antho and RawArcher like this.
  15. dialstatic Jun 16, 2016

Based on that picture alone, nothing really looks off to me. Maybe the date wheel and red button have been replaced at some point (their respective colors look very fresh and homogeneous). But that might easily just be the picture, or luck. Bezel, mkII dial, hands all look OK and I don't think the case looks overpolished. At the right price, this could be a nice pick-up.

Just got the archive extract in the mail today for mine :)

image.jpeg
    Edited Jun 16, 2016
  16. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Jun 16, 2016

Had this one on today.....plus love to keep a good Ploprof thread alive!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jun 16, 2016

What is the right price?

Do share.

IMG_20160317_104843.jpg

lao.antho likes this.
  18. JACK G Jun 17, 2016

Although previously posted I am posting this pic again as it shows 3 different bezel styles.

[​IMG]

At one time owned all three but now just have the one on the right.

I'm not if it has ever been mentioned before in a Ploprof thread but some crystals make the dial look a brighter blue. This can be seen quite clearly in the pic above. I'm not sure if this anything to do with anti glare reflective coatings or just a different type of crystal. I know that this is not just because the dial was a little brighter as this crystal was originally in one of the others. When I noticed it I had the crystal swapped and it is definitely the crystal that changes the colour.

RawArcher, watchknut and Taddyangle like this.
  19. dialstatic Jun 17, 2016

That's the $1,000,000 question, of course. I only keep a cursory eye on PloProf prices to have some idea of the value of my collection, but I see them going for upwards of $5,000 on the Bay. There's a few ones on Chrono24 for a little under $5,000. I'd say anything south of $4,500 would be OK - personally, I'd feel more secure grabbing this at $4,000. But who knows? One was sold for over $14,000 at Christies recently, and it wasn't even the COMEX one they had on sale (to be frank: it looked better that the TS example and had box and papers, but still).

Happy to oblige. It seems yours and mine aren't too far apart. Yours has its 44th birthday next week, while mine had it two weeks ago :)

image.jpeg

lao.antho and Taddyangle like this.
  20. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 17, 2016

@JACK G great to know about the crystal, as i have been wondering why my dial appears lighter than most others.

lao.antho likes this.