Forums Latest Members

Omega overshadowed by Rolex

1. OmegaRolex Nov 17, 2019

With the possible exception of the Speedmaster, it seems that each Omega product line has a contemporary in Rolex’s catalog that receives more attention, has greater resale value, and has a larger collector base in the watch community.

Seamaster - Submariner
    Speedmaster - Daytona
    Railmaster - Milgauss
    Constellation - DayDate
    Deville/Globemaster - Datejust
    Any GMT complication - GMT Master
    Planet Ocean - Sea Dweller

Of course this list isn’t precise, but I’m simply curious how fellow Omega collectors reconcile with the idea of investing in a brand of lower brand strength compared to its most direct competitor. Personally, I’m much more drawn to specific vintage Omega models that cannot be outshined by Rolex equivalents.

Are Omega collectors generally more interested in the brand’s pre-1970’s “Golden Age” history? Or for modern collectors, are you more attracted to Omega’s brand placement with the Bond 007 films and brand ambassadors? In other words, I would love to hear in your own words why you choose Omega over Rolex.

I hope this topic is not too controversial. As a collector and lover of both brands, I am genuinely interested in the Omega community’s take on this topic.

CEA9AA91-9A2B-4B12-BE2C-C72B86FB568B.jpeg 3AC9CCAA-DBFE-4C75-A8D1-47D467B8CF77.jpeg

Edited Nov 17, 2019
  2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Nov 17, 2019

Easy. The collectors are collecting, not investing.

greyfox422, Kmart, DiiQue and 30 others like this.
  3. YY77 Nov 17, 2019

My motto is buy what you like not what has best resale value.

4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Nov 17, 2019

Of course Rolex is more popular... how can it not be with such superior quality and heritage. ::confused2::

hanky6 and kingsrider like this.
  5. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Nov 17, 2019

Any Rolex is better than an automatic Speedmaster.

6. S.H. Nov 17, 2019

:D

::popcorn::

7. Wetworks Nov 17, 2019

I went with Omega because I like Omega more than I like Rolex.

riimar, jankymutt, hanky6 and 8 others like this.
  8. Nathan1967 Nov 17, 2019

I like both brands- happy to own the watches I like irrespective of investment potential. That’s really not part of the equation for me.

9. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Nov 17, 2019

First - One of the key factors is that I can go to a shop and buy an Omega.
    Second - it is at least as effective as it’s equivalent Rolex.
    Third - a modern Rolex says something about the wearer that I do not want to be associated with.

Kmart, marco, SpikiSpikester and 13 others like this.
  10. JTridesbikes Nov 17, 2019

Modern Omega represents a brand with both heritage and value. It’s been around for longer than Rolex and it operates just as well.

I would be lying not to admit that 007 association certainly helps, but there’s most-certainly more to the appeal to that. I’m not well-researched in the details of the association, but I would imagine Rolex wouldn’t have turned down a partnership with the franchise. Perhaps then there is something about the Omega design that made the franchise choose Omega over Rolex...

Subjective, but in my opinion, Omega makes bolder styling decisions. One can also wear an Omega with less of the perception that it is a “flex.” Also subjective, but the same is not always true with a modern Rolex.

Edited Nov 17, 2019
  11. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Nov 17, 2019

Simple. I don't buy watches because they receive more attention, have greater resale value or a larger collector base.

I buy what I like to wear as long as it's at a price I can afford and I rarely sell.

12. CaptainWinsor Nov 17, 2019

Interesting timing on this topic. As I said in another post. Local Omega AD is no longer selling the brand. When I asked what if any they were replacing it with, the answer was Tudor. I was surprised as they already have the Rolex boutique and carry IWC and Panerai. The mgr said they were going in a different direction. In the end it’s about what people want and money.

Riviera Paradise and SpeedyPhill like this.
  13. vicakers Nov 17, 2019

Omega for me because of Nicole Kidman.

14. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Nov 17, 2019

The most pertinent question is : Do Rolex have anything contemporary to the absolute amazing HOLY GRAIL? Omega 1, Rolex 0.

Kmart, hanky6, PizGloria and 7 others like this.
  15. JTridesbikes Nov 17, 2019

Semi-newb here, but what is the holy grail? Speedmaster seems to be favored by most on Omega Forum

16. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Nov 17, 2019

Your third point is extremely controversial if not offensive :(

cvalue13, ext1, larryganz and 12 others like this.
  17. Bugbait Nov 17, 2019

Like others, when I buy a watch it's because at that point in time I have chosen it over all others on the market. So if it's an Omega then I've selected it over every other brand for that purchase for various reasons.

I don't own a Rolex because they've never produced a watch I have any interest in. Then that applies to a multitude of watches and brands that I don't currently or will likely ever own.

My watch purchases are based purely on what I like and what is affordable and available at the time. I don't care about celebrities linked to the brand/model, resale value or showing off. A watch is there to tell the time and make me feel good whenever I look at it, that's all.

Edited Nov 17, 2019
  18. kip595 Nov 17, 2019

Like many, I love both and collect others as well. I can find reasons all day for either side of the argument, many admittedly subjective.

In the end, I'll be totally honest about why my "take it with me" watch would/will be an Omega: sentimentality.

A mint condition pre-owned Seamaster was my de facto introduction to 'nice' watch ownership, given to me by a loved one on a very special occasion. So as much as I love many brands, and can admire still more, Omega gives me a case of the warm-n-fuzzies every time. ::love::

19. OmegaRolex Nov 17, 2019

I find the OF website to be by far the most superior forum software available.

I also think the OF community’s intelligence level is extremely high. I think the collectors on this site are highly intelligent and knowledgeable.

Dan S, nonuffinkbloke and marco like this.
  20. Screwbacks Nov 17, 2019

make also a photo comparison of the respective calibers for each omega-rolex pair you made, if you may.;):D

kkt likes this.