Forums Latest Members

Omega NATO | What a pain in the wrist!

1. SunTiger May 30, 2020

Greetings everyone,

Please don't take this post as me "complaining" or trying to suggest that the Omega Nato's are not good.

This is not the case.

What I do want to communicate, is that you *could* have an issue depending on the size / shape of your wrist as it relates to the fit of this strap.

On first unboxing.. you are blown away with the quality of this strap. Truly, I know it's the most costly out there.. and from a material and build quality stand point.. totally worth it (IMO). Where I think there is opportunity, is in the design of this strap.

Ironically, the one thing that I really love the most is the one thing that is literally causing pain. The beautiful retainers, specifically the one at the "6-o'clock" position with the "Omega" logo on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At first I thought it was me, I thought that I did not have it on correctly (meaning the strap aligned correctly) and that this little retainer was too low. But, this was not the case. Then, I took a closer look at the tightness of the strap. I do have small wrists and I am using the 3rd hole from the end in my case. This gives a snug fit that is not too loose. It feels perfect, with the exception of that metal retainer digging into my skin! If I go one hole looser.. this is not really as much of an issue, as the watch now has a little "slide" to it on my wrist. (which at times is fine, especially if its hot or around the house). But, if I am being honest.. the "correct" setting causes soreness after about an hour of wear.

It appears that Omega did not design this retainer in a way, that is covered on the back side by the material of the strap (like other Nato's I have used). This then would have provided some "padding" and this would never have been an issue. The other opportunity, is that the shape of the retainer is very "sharp". It is boxy, and while it does have somewhat of rounded corners, they become very sharp when pressed into the skin.

So, buyer beware is the message here. If you happen to have a wrist size that puts you in the middle of "snug, and too loose" you may have to juggle this same issue with this strap.

Do I return it? I don't know. I REALLY like it. Maybe this is like a women in the sense she hates her tall heels, but knows how killer they look on. lol. Running the band loose does pretty much take care of this (tho, the design is still something I think should be addressed) and I am sure if I leave my house and go out into the more humid air.. my wrist will expand, and make the difference much less.

Is it the best constructed Nato? Yeah, I think so. It really does look amazing on the Seamaster too. I can tell this will last a long, long time and that's what I wanted. It's just too bad that this won't be the most comfortable Nato I will own. :-/

PS - I found that I was not the only one who has this issue.. see here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/my-omega-nato-strap-experience.51776/

2. AntonisCy May 30, 2020

I agree the keeper with the Omega logo can leave a stamp on your hand and feel a little bit uncomfortable in the beginning but after some time has passed you get used to it (at least i did).

One of the cool things of the latest OMEGA Nato i bought is that all keepers are nylon.

3. thelinendial May 30, 2020

There’s a few posts about this issue... and like yourself I bought mine without checking here first a year ago.

I did not return mine, but only wore it once.... I planned to wind some some grey thread around the retainer - in hopes it would fix it - but just never got around to it.

I don’t understand how Omega has not fixed this after all this time.

4. imranbecks May 31, 2020

Hmm.. I have nothing but praise when it comes to the Omega nato strap. Extremely comfortable imo.

[​IMG]

Tequila-007 and ama98 like this.
  5. alam May 31, 2020

these straps are just pain to my eyesight :D but I'm happy to hear others have sorted out the comfort issue :thumbsup:

6. Lurk41 May 31, 2020

Or provide a short version for those with small wrists. The keeper design will not be an issue anymore and it will look nicer on the wrist

7. SunTiger May 31, 2020

What Omega Nato has nylon keepers? The only strap that I see in the store without the metal keepers are the leather ones?

8. AntonisCy May 31, 2020

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 31, 2020

marco and Nathan1967 like this.
  10. AntonisCy May 31, 2020

I agree that it is expensive but there is no way i am putting a 20 dollar NATO strap on a 6500 dollar watch.

Also i prefer to use accessories from the same brand on my stuff.. Can't imagine an Omega logo on the watch and a logo from another company on the strap. Doesn't work for me.

Its going to be my only NATO and i love it to be honest.

ama98 likes this.
  11. AntonisCy May 31, 2020

Not bad...

B69C28FF-0DE2-40D6-AB7D-E688E02FB82B.jpeg
    apsm100, rob09 and duc like this.
  12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 31, 2020

I can see the appeal of Omega NATOs ( but more than a touch overpriced to me )

Have worn heaps of NATOs over the years and oddly the Luminox $60 NATO is the best I have ever worn. A lot more military/rugged Looking and wearing than the Omega ones.
    65FAE6D0-E2BE-4CCA-883A-5D02F2F266AD.jpeg

I have a N&M Black ops strap on my Speedmaster at the moment and went for my blood type.

32C90A21-F7F4-4958-A831-B5C0E519F74A.jpeg 4B262A52-EA55-4E27-BD6F-6F5B898CB0EA.jpeg

Went the lume stitched central line 6EE90708-1378-4330-9A4B-840F61D43624.jpeg

Longbow, sonicosa, rob#1 and 2 others like this.
  13. AntonisCy May 31, 2020

Not bad :thumbsup:

14. apsm100 applysome! Jun 1, 2020

15. AntonisCy Jun 1, 2020

apsm100 likes this.
  16. rob#1 Jun 1, 2020

Wetworks likes this.
  17. AntonisCy Jun 1, 2020

imageWIS likes this.
  18. RI Omega Fan Jun 1, 2020

So you don’t own an Omega watch?

Fish70 likes this.
  19. AntonisCy Jun 1, 2020

You know what i mean.

20. RI Omega Fan Jun 1, 2020

Yes, I do, of course. I was just being a contrarian on a Monday morning.