Forums Latest Members

My Omega Nato Strap Experience

1. trackpad Jan 19, 2017

So I ducked into an OMEGA boutique yesterday for a look at their take on the classic NATO. This was my second hands on, as I had seen them briefly about a year ago in Dubai Mall, but hadn't tried any of them on the wrist.

My experience was mixed. On the one hand, these are just incredibly well made. The attention to detail in their material construction puts them in a class by themselves. On the wrist I found the profile a little on the bulky side, but this would probably have worked itself out with more wear and the normal breaking-in.

More troubling however, and a deal-breaker for me, the strap retainer at 6 o'clock is pressed directly into your skin, without any fabric from the strap to buffer it. This was to me, super uncomfortable...especially given how sharp and angular the strap retainer is. Seems like a pretty serious design flaw. Other NATO strap designs wisely avoid this.

If you own or have tried one, I'm really curious to hear your experience. Would also to hear if you've had success in finding a third party NATO strap approaching the material quality of these from OMEGA. I know this has been discussed before ...but not in 2017!

2. fibonacci086 Jan 19, 2017

I wear the black/red Omega Nato Strap on my speedmaster Tintin and the veal leather Nato Novonappa on my 3559.32.
    Both are very comfortable ,especially the Novonappa which is gorgeous and gets a very nice patina over time.

On the downside, I sometimes feel that watchead is not very balanced by the Nato straps in terms of weight. The relative light Nato strap contrasts with the heavy watchead at my wrist.

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 19, 2017

The omega straps differ in a few ways to every other one on the market.

Yes the material is a step above everything else but the bigger difference is the proportions

In the omega strap the buckle will be opposed to the watch. On others it tends to be closer to the top of your wrist. Additionally the 2nd keeper slides which make it much easier to adjust.

Are they worth the over $120 price?? I don't know but they are in a different world then $20 buck straps.

High end on the Sinn cheapy in the mide and Omega on the Omega. You can clearly see the different proportions on the Omega. image.jpg

ManInBlack, Tet, munichblue and 2 others like this.
  4. lillatroll Jan 19, 2017

Only tried once on the spectre SM 300 LE. I did not like it at all. It felt all wrong on the wrist. Perhaps it is something you get used to.

mikeer50 and BrianMcKay like this.
  5. b-16707 Jan 19, 2017

Phenomenato.Com anyone? Closest you'll get in material with adjustable loop like omega

What is the exact retail price on an Omega one anyways?

Edited Jan 19, 2017
    hasenbichler likes this.
  6. Andreas Jan 19, 2017

i haven't had the chance to tried them but i think i know that logo from somewhere.
    Are these the ones that @WiZARD makes?

7. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Jan 19, 2017

@trackpad...you need to man-up and get over the discomfort. :D

Seriously, though...I just gave it the old college try with my Omega NATO (rarely worn) from my Speedy Gonzales presentation box set v. my cheapestnatostrap.com NATO...and the later is definitely more comfortable due to the nylon fabric covering and the less angular keeper. I definitely see your point. :thumbsup:

Omega NATO:
    IMG_1289.JPG

cheapestnatostraps.com NATO:
    IMG_1288.JPG

Omega NATO top; cheapestnatostrap.com NATO bottom:
    IMG_1292.JPG

Edited Jan 19, 2017
    marco, trackpad and Jwit like this.
  8. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 19, 2017

Us auld Scots cannae go splashing the cash so cheapie it is and quite comfy,

IMG_4886.JPG

Blacksmith, nlogax, duc and 3 others like this.
  9. Traveler Jan 19, 2017

trackpad likes this.
  10. b-16707 Jan 19, 2017

WiZARD likes this.
  11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 19, 2017

The PhenomeNato looks to get my vote in the over 30-50 dollar range. The adjustable keeper and 2 lengths sell it, plus best reviewed material. Alpha shark has more options and looks like a strong second place.

WiZARD and b-16707 like this.
  12. b-16707 Jan 19, 2017

I think personally if it werent for the square holes, i would do blushark ones. Something about it doesnt seem to match my speedy 100% is my gut feeling. I know, almost a moot point. Their buy 2 get 1 offer stackable ontop of other running coupons make them crazy affordable however.

that blue color from phenomenato is gorgeous! Hoping to get mine in soon.

WiZARD likes this.
  13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 19, 2017

Review it once you get it. If I was not already swimming in straps, I would check them out. I've got a thing for 3 ring Zulu's esp in leather right now on my dive watches.

b-16707 likes this.
  14. b-16707 Jan 19, 2017

Ill see what I can do. Im sure someone here on OF already has some.

15. Donn Chambers Jan 19, 2017

I wear the a nylon Omega NATO regularly on my Speedmaster, alternating with the leather version. I have NEVER even noticed the keeper on the 6 o'clock side pressing into my wrist. In fact, until this post, it never registered it was metal against my skin. But I wear the strap with enough slack that I can fit a finger under the buckle. Maybe you prefer to wear it really tight.

As others have said, I think there are a lot of benefits to the strap. The weave is very tight and looks great. It's a little stiff at first, but breaks in within a week or so. It's the only NATO I've owned that I can get the buckle in the center of my wrist. And the adjustable keeper is really nice if you have either large or small wrists to get that perfect fit. I've had many straps where I've had to either cut the strap or tuck it in backwards because the end wouldn't reach the second keeper.

Only downside IMO is that it is slightly thicker than generic NATOs.

I don't know of any other straps of comparable quality. iMO, it is worth the money because it will last a lifetime. But only if you like it.

16. trackpad Jan 20, 2017

@Mad Dog It's really a head-scratcher to me, it seems like something they would have caught in the first minute of testing their first prototype. I mean, you feel it, and... it ain't pleasant. And I'm guessing under serious pressure it could be seriously painful.

@Donn Chambers Thanks. And you're right, I might have been wearing it a little on the tight side. But I think it's just something I noticed and fixated on...and couldn't immediately un-notice. In any case, glad yours works. I totally agree on the quality, that's really what makes this regrettable from my PoV – if I didn't like the material and build so much I wouldn't be sweating it at all. :)

Worth mentioning, I just received my best NATO to date from these guys, who were also a pleasure to deal with. Probably best for those in the EU. Not OMEGA level of quality, but a definite cut above the average NATO.

http://www.esprit-nato.com/en/

Thick, and with a good matte hardware option. They also offer some heavy-duty spring bars they recommend for Speedies, ...and which I will recommend in turn. Good stuff.

1 (1).jpg

17. trackpad Jan 20, 2017

It was 650 AED in Dubai...or $176.96 USD as of today. May or may not reflect global pricing, or what you can pick one up for at an AD.

b-16707 likes this.
  18. trackpad Jan 20, 2017

WiZARD and b-16707 like this.
  19. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 20, 2017

They look like they have the same source as http://natostrapco.com/ they are pretty nice for the cheap straps, I have never had to fix a burr on the stitching from them.

20. b-16707 Jan 20, 2017

natostrapco is good for regular natos. I have a few from them before. black friday deals hit 40% off if you wanna wait =).