Forums Latest Members

SOLD Omega MEGAQUARTZ 4.19 MHz ship’s marine chronometer

1. OMTOM May 16, 2023

A.jpg

A beautiful quartz chronometer, from an Omega project which dates back to 1978. This clock (reference PE5806) dates 1983. The original clocks were produced for the French navy – and were the most accurate timepieces available (apart from an atomic clock). The design performance of the calibre 1525 movement was to give an accuracy of less than 5 seconds per year – and indeed there is a problem finding a suitable timepiece to check the accuracy of this clock.

The power supply is two standard 1.5V AA batteries. When changing the batteries they can be exchanged one-at-a-time, so that the clock does not have to stop. A set of batteries provides power for between 2 to 3 years.

A description can be found in Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Marine_Chronometer

It is also to be found in AJTT p.203 (PM me if you don’t have a copy).

In addition to being a clock for the French navy, they were later made available commercially – and were sometimes used as presentation pieces by embassies. It is recorded that it was chosen by the City of Geneva for presentation to the Presidents Reagan and Gorbachev during the America-Russian summit in 1985.

Provided with the clock is its Neuchatel Observatory Bulletin dated 1983, showing the number (1285) which also appears on a brass plaque on the front of the clock.

The clock is mounted in a beautiful mahogany case with a hinged lid and brass fittings – including brassed corners. The base of the mahogany case is velvet – and there is an angled wooden base (also with velvet) on which the case can stand, without sliding.

The clock is mounted on a brushed aluminium base which is hinged to allow access to the batteries and the setting/calibrating controls.

For further details or images, please send me a PM.

The clock is in full working order and in beautiful condition.

One of the most accurate timepieces in the world could be sitting on your desk!

Price/location/postage

Located in UK – free postage within UK. Price £3,000.

All other countries, price US $ 3,750 – postage costs will be shared.

C.jpg D.jpg E.jpg F.JPG G.jpg H.jpg J.jpg K.jpg L.jpg M.jpg N.jpg O.jpg

A1.jpg B.jpg
    Edited May 29, 2023
  2. Engee May 17, 2023

::popcorn:: Gorgeous.

Edited May 17, 2023
    Foo2rama likes this.
  3. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids May 17, 2023

Lovely! ::love::

GLWS

OMTOM likes this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 17, 2023

That is surprisingly more affordable than I thought.

Hmm…

5. b-lilja May 19, 2023

That is sick.

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 20, 2023

Oh man, the Chrono paperwork date falls on my birthday... Also if I read this right as tested when it left the observatory it was accurate to 1.095 seconds a year.

Omegafanman likes this.
  7. OMTOM May 20, 2023

As I wrote in my description, the problem is choosing a suitable time source for monitoring the accuracy - internet clocks are certainly not of use. Although it is easy enough to calibrate it - I never need to make a change.

Omegafanman and Foo2rama like this.
  8. OMTOM Jun 2, 2023

Now located in UK

9. OMTOM Jun 6, 2023

Still for sale! Keen to sell.

Omegafanman likes this.
  10. Omegafanman Jun 6, 2023

You are not helping me.... I am supposed to be on stop after my last spending but would love to own this / amazing bit of kit.
    I saw one at Swiss Time Services this year. Rare as hens teeth as well.

11. Engee Jun 17, 2023

Giving this a bump because I’d like to help it find a new home. I seriously considered it but it’s just not right for me. I still think it’s a gorgeous thing, though.

OMTOM likes this.