Forums Latest Members
  1. tegee26 Jan 25, 2015

Hello Omega Forum..........

I just bought a new Omega leather strap today for my 42mm Planet Ocean 8500. I originally purchased complete with the SS bracelet and recently acquired the rubber strap (which I love and really improved the fit of the PO on my small wrist) and today I visited my local boutique and purchased a leather strap.

To that end, I am seeking advice from others on the proper care and conditioning of the leather straps so I get a long useful life out of it. As many of you know they are not cheap and want to take care of it so it last.

Can you share your experiences on what you have done to keep it nice and supple? The gentleman at the boutique recommended a silicone spray 2 x's/year on the back side to keep perspiration and water from drying it out, but I just want to make sure before I treat it with silicone. Also, what have others done to keep the leather (top side) in tip top shape.

Many thanks in advance for any/all help you can give me.

BTW: Just a quick side note. For those that have had concerns about the fit of the thicker PO 600M 8500, I must add that the rubber and leather strap have been game changers on how well it fits on the wrist from my experince. It obviously takes a bunch of weight off the wrist (88 grams to be exact) and it just seems to fit so much more nicely overall.....fwiw.

2. SeanO Jan 25, 2015

It will all depend on what the strap has been finished with.

if it's "undressed" leather then I give it a couple of passes with something like dubbin for a couple of days (rub in and wipe down) before I wear it.

the other finer finished ones would probably benefit from a careful cleaning. You should remember that leather is perishable so they don't last forever.

3. redpcar Jan 25, 2015

Be careful that there aren't any glues present. Liquids could adversely effect the bond. If it is 100% stitched, my favorite is Lexol.

4. tegee26 Jan 25, 2015

Thanks for the replies.

I do not know exactly the makeup of the strap. It is Omega's OEM leather strap for the PO. It looks like typical cowhide type leather on the bottom and I was told it is alligator skin on the top. It is stitched on the sides if that helps for a silicon app?

5. redpcar Jan 25, 2015

The goal in preserving leather is to keep the fibers moist/loose. If they dry out (or get debris), they work against themselves and wear out. I have also used Nokona leather conditioner. One time all the sporting good stores were out so I called the factory hoping they had a factory store (lived near their facility). Shortage everywhere, sold out. I spoke to a man who was in charge of "boots". He said they don't even use their own conditioner (too pricey) and simply use Vaseline. From then on, I used Vaseline on my son's ball glove. Watch straps, I use Lexol as it is lighter weight. For really crusty vintage straps that I want to try to save, I soak them in Vaseline. This said, I'm not taking into account the need (if any) to counteract the salt from your sweat. Never used a silicon based treatment. I have never worn out a leather strap but know people with acidic skin that blow through them in a year. Not sure how to counteract this. Maybe somebody else can chime in.....

6. tegee26 Jan 26, 2015

Thanks so much redcar.....great advice.

7. Alex_TA Jan 26, 2015

The average life span of a leather strap is 1.5-3 years of every day wear.
    I wear Speedmaster 9300 on OEM alligator for a year and a half. While it does not look new it's still pretty alive. Once in a while I watch its inner side with warm water with soup and spray HELI from inside.

30.10.2014-2.JPG
    puddlep1rate likes this.
  8. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Sep 16, 2015

Hey Teegee, I'm looking to buy some OEM straps for my 42mm PO as well...
    What straps did you pick up and what reference numbers should I look for.
    Also, we use a 18mm deployment clasp?

9. tegee26 Sep 16, 2015

Hello Frunkinator,

I purchase the OEM black rubber and black leather alligator straps with deployant for my PO 8500 that I had. I flipped the 8500 and purchased the PO 2500 LMLE, so both straps fit a tad high on the lugs with the 2500 but they do fit and nobody even knows the difference when looking at them.

I do not recall the reference #'s and did a quick search and could not find them. I am sure if you reach to a local Boutique, or maybe some others will chime in here, you will find OEM straps for your PO.

Sorry I could not be of more help.....good luck in your search.

Frunkinator likes this.