Forums Latest Members
  1. WesolyPiecyk Apr 12, 2020

Hi all!

I am currently looking for my first vintage Omega. I mainly focus on buying 50s Seamaster (my grail watch is Seamaster ref. 2759), but I don't rule out Geneves. I want to start with something affordable, and then gradually go for more well-kept and collectible pieces. My budget for now is about $450 - $500.

I found this Geneve reference number 2748 for $340 on my local ebay equivalent and I am considering buying it. My knowledge about vintage Omegas is still small (I started searching for some information about 6 months ago. Earlier I collected only soviet watches for 10 years.). Can you help me determine if this Geneve is worth the money considering its overall state and originality?

As far as i know, dial looks unrestored and movement is correct for this reference (please correct me if I am wrong). Crown seems to be unoriginal. I can't tell if case was polished or not. The seller wrote that watch runs a little to fast, so I consider that it will need service. Overall condition for me is very good. I dont mind watches that shows their age.

Thank You in advance for any helpful feedback!

db3ea1334a12993ef5d371e442ca.jpeg eca65d4f46e481449865dfbcded9.jpeg 97133f2745a8916dc7edc7e298ca.jpeg 88edb5b6459b869c0f7f4633726c.jpeg 16ea57f94c4e84da2480a6ef5e7b.jpeg 05cfe9824911befba1bc90c1b7c2.jpeg

numero27 likes this.
  2. seekingseaquest Apr 12, 2020

Good research!

These jumbo Geneves are quite uncommon - most were 34mm, while this reference is 36mm.

This specific one has some issues, notably the case condition - it’s been heavily polished and the case back has had unoriginal brushing applied to it. As you stated, the crown is not original, but that’s not uncommon.

If these issues don’t bother you, I would definitely pick it up at $340.

Dan S likes this.
  3. Dan S Apr 12, 2020

Unfortunately, the condition of the case would be a deal-breaker for me.

I'm not sure that the strategy of starting with a mediocre watch and then trying to upgrade is what most experienced collectors would recommend. In fact, this is the mistake that we all wish we had never made. It is always hard to sell a watch that isn't in top condition. Personally, I would suggest saving a few hundred $ more and getting a nice watch from the beginning. Or buy a watch from a less prestigious brand in top condition. Condition is the last thing that you should compromise on.

apsm100 likes this.
  4. WesolyPiecyk Apr 12, 2020

Thank You for the answers! You are very helpful! I will probably look for something nicer for more money.

@Dan S
    I know my strategy is bad for most of people (and frankly I won't recommend it to sameone who wants to be top tier collector), but in my case it works :)

I wear most of my watches in daily rotation, so pristine examples aren't for me. Even in office enviroment serious damage is possible. I learned it hard way, by damaging crystal in one of my very rare soviet watches, which was flawless prior the accident (I hit a door handle with it). Without original crystal (which is almost impossible to find), watch was worth maybe half of it's value in perfect condition. Since then I wear pristine examples only occasionaly.

If I bought perfect vintage Omega, I would be afraid to wear it daily, and if I wouldn't wear it, I wouldn't have any joy. Thats why I want to buy "beater" first, that isn't as vaulable and collectible as for example perfect NOS Constellation from 60s. It will just fulfill all my daily needs, without worry about its condition and resale value and will help preserve in good shape my more collectible watches.

Regarding less prestigious brands in top condition - every vintage watch in top condition, regaldless of brand, is for me priceless in terms of history, and I wouldn't wear it except very special occasions, so mediocre or just good examples are my way to go as dailies. I just love 50s and 60s Omega design and prefer to wear mediocre Omega than perfect Doxa or my NOS Poljot 3133 vintage chrono from 80s.

OllieOnTheRocks likes this.