Forums Latest Members
  1. Mark Brooks Jun 5, 2018

https://www.chrono24.com.au/omega/v...late-stainless-back-mens-watch--id8433612.htm

Hi everyone,
    I have been searching around for a vintage omega as I am quite fond of the older style that a lot of them had. Unfortunately my budget is rather low (maximum $500AUD, $400USD), so I have had trouble finding anything that isn't an amalgamation of several different watches. Anyway I found this watch that from what I can see dates back to around 1968. However, the first thing I noticed was that the crown seems to have a different sought of colour to the rest of the watch and is lacking the omega logo that I have seen on most watches from around then. Other than that it seemed similar to other watches with the same reference number. Also if anyone has suggestions about particular omega models that can be found at prices similar to mine it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Mark

Edited Jun 6, 2018
  2. ConElPueblo Jun 5, 2018

Hi Mark.

Three things weigh against this one:

1. The crystal is done for. The lines you see on it are due to shrinking because of age - they cannot be polished out.
    2. The crown is an incorrect replacement.
    3. The worst bit - note how the lugs are slightly "soft" in appearance? And how they seemingly are darker at the ends? This is due to overpolishing; the colour change is the base metal peeking out from the polished away gold layer. Unless a watch is very special this will be a deal breaker for me every time and it kills value like nothing else.

Finding a good vintage Omega at your budget is not impossible at all and you have two options - study the subject more than a little bit, bide your time and seek out the deals that aren't completely obvious OR be plain, blind lucky. In both cases I'd stay away from Chrono24, if I was you.

Here is some inspiration: https://omegaforums.net/threads/2017-what-omega-did-you-buy-for-under-500.51171/

3. Mark Brooks Jun 5, 2018

Thanks for the info. I thought that crown didn't look right. I see that now about the lugs, not good at all. Thanks for the advice and the link, I'll steer clear of Chrono 24.

4. Mark Brooks Jun 5, 2018

5. ConElPueblo Jun 5, 2018

That has been redialed, sadly.

6. Mark Brooks Jun 5, 2018

Damn

7. rkman11 Jun 5, 2018

More and more it sounds like the consensus is to stay away from Chrono24.

8. connieseamaster Jun 5, 2018

I have noticed it going downhill in the last year, which is a shame.

9. Dan S Jun 5, 2018

In my experience, it's difficult to generalize about Chrono24. Every seller is different.

ConElPueblo and thickman like this.
  10. chipsotoole Jun 6, 2018

It's so expensive..but there are some top notch watches there. 600AUD budget is enough to get something quite nice!