Forums Latest Members
  1. Aaron Shapiro Mar 10, 2017

So...

I was recently in Rome, checking out a couple vintage watch shops (Rome surprisingly has a few really amazing vintage watch places) and the guy was wearing one of these... I really dug it, so when I got home I started looking around for them on WatchRecon and the bay.

So... as things go...

I didn't intend to buy this, but the seller accepted an offer I placed just as the listing was ending. Can anyone offer an opinion on this piece? I found this article that gave me some information, but I'm still unclear on determining which model I have exactly. Seller says it was serviced and is running well, and it comes on the original steel bracelet. The pic of the dial seems hazy, but it's likely just the picture... can new crystals be sourced for this model?? Paid about $450 for it.

Appreciate any insight into this model, and potential things to look out for?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance, I'm excited to receive it, but I often think vintage pieces are kinda question marks till they arrive... Who knows how well it'll run, etc...

-Aaron

2. lillatroll Mar 10, 2017

There are quite few threads about this model posted already. You can search on here. Yours looks OK. There are also many for sale that have replaced parts on them so be careful about ads claiming NOS. Yours was a fair price. Not cheap but you didn't overpay. I have two of them and they are nice watches to wear, very comfortable on the wrist. As for claims of it being serviced, unless it comes with some proof then you need to take that with a pinch of salt. It probably works but you don't know what has been done and who did it so it is important to get your watchmaker to look it over. If you don't have a watch maker then let us know where in the world you are and someone will recommend a watchmaker who you can trust.

3. Aaron Shapiro Mar 10, 2017

I'm in Nashville, Tennessee and I don't have a watchmaker. :) any suggestions would be appreciated!!

4. lillatroll Mar 10, 2017

If you get sucked into this hobby then you will need a watchmaker. I am sure OF members from your part of the world will be able to help you find a good one. On the plus side dynamics are quite robust and parts are easy to source so it won't cost you an arm and a couple of legs to get it done.

5. Aaron Shapiro Mar 10, 2017

Awesome. Thanks for the input!!

6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 10, 2017

Oh yes

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  7. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Mar 10, 2017

8. Aaron Shapiro Mar 10, 2017

9. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Mar 10, 2017

I'm a big Dynamic fan here's a recent picture of mine:

[​IMG]

felsby, satish_appasani, rhj and 3 others like this.
  10. Aaron Shapiro Mar 10, 2017

That's beautiful man. I didn't intend on buying mine but I'm excited to get it now.

11. lillatroll Mar 10, 2017

Can I call dibs on the gold one please. I have a racing dial version but that gold one on the bracelet is super cool. Cooler than a polar bear sitting on a foxes glacier mint.::love::

12. WatchWarlock Mar 10, 2017

I believe that should be a cal. 565 with the daydates being 752 right? Both are wonderful movements, and all the examples above look awesome. Jealous.

13. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 10, 2017

Yes, it's an automatic with date function so should be a cal.565 movement & model ref 166.0039. Bracelet is an 1181 which is correct.

The photos aren't pin sharp so it's a little difficult to see the small details, but looks to be a decent example of the most popular dial design. Case looks to have been refinished at least once, probably more, but that' s not a massive issue as the vast majority of these are in that boat and it looks to have an attractive sunburst finish as a result.

One thing to look at more closely is the condition of the dial. It's hard to see from the photo, but it appears there may be a number of spots of degradation on the dial. Or, it may just be due to the quality of the photo. The condition of the dial is the biggest determinant of value & whether you got a "good deal" or not.

The crystal is easy to replace and they are readily available at modest cost.

Hope this helps.

14. Aaron Shapiro Mar 10, 2017

It does, thank you. The seller has a "14 day return policy" via eBay, so if it arrives and is less than I expect I'll likely just ship it back.

Thanks!

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  15. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 12, 2017

No problem. I also just noticed you said you bought it in Rome. In that case, also make sure you are happy with the way it winds and runs - if possible get the movement looked at.

This may be unnecessary caution on my part. However, my experience of buying from Italy gave me the only watch I ever owned that had to have the movement replaced. It was a cal 565 Dynamic. It ran ok, but when it was serviced the parts were so poor that they wouldn't go back together properly and it was impossible to salvage at any reasonable cost.

16. meganfox17 Mar 12, 2017

Hello @SpikiSpikestar [emoji137]

I always get confused between the Dynamic & the Geneva UFO models. Spiki , Can you confirm whether my example is a refinished & repolished Dynamic or in the original state ? I know the seller who claims it is fitted with a Cal 1020 & going for USD 539 ( Nego) 2017-03-12%2016.56.55.png 2017-03-12%2016.57.28.png 2017-03-12%2016.57.58.png
    Hi Sir[emoji68]
    I'm not trying to sell you a vintage Geneva Dynamic but since you were mentioning gold I thought you should know this 0ne is available in the local Malaysian ebay market tagged at USD 650.( Nego ) .The Seller claims everything is original including the unusual casing , crown & clasp which are Gold plated 18 K ?? Have you seen this version before or is the seller taking me for a ride [emoji134] ? 2017-03-12%2017.07.59.png 2017-03-12%2017.09.18.png

Miss_Bourginskay likes this.
  17. lillatroll Mar 12, 2017

Hello mam,
    I have seen the dial many times but not the combination of gold and stainless steel. The dial and case looks nice but I really want to buy a gold plated one with gold bracelet. I believe there is a solid gold version, but as I have a speedytuesday reserved and I am only a lowly school teacher my watch fund won't stretch to one of those. (Good to see you back, your posts are always interesting to read)

meganfox17 likes this.
  18. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Mar 12, 2017

My Dynamic with cal 565
    2017-03-12 003.JPG

19. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 13, 2017

Hi there.

The model you've pictured is the Mk II Dynamic, which had a highly polished case instead of the radial sunburst finish of the Mk I. The movement would be cal.1481 from 1972, or cal. 1012 from 1974 onwards.

This one looks to have been re-polished to bring the original shine back to the case. However, there's something about the side on view that doesn't look right to me - it's hard to tell without having the watch in hand, or possibly seeing the caseback.

Regardless of all that, the Mk II Dynamic is not really favoured by collectors and isn't all that popular if you ever want to resell it. The Mk I has a more attractive case and movements that are incredibly robust if maintained sensibly. Personally, I don't bother with Mk II's because the look doesn't appeal to me. If you're dipping your toes into the Dynamics, then - unless the Mk II really appeals to you - I'd say it's better to start with a good condition Mk I.

The gold cap models are a definite "thing", but tended to come on gold plate/cap bracelets too. The gold watches were either solid 18k for some Mk I date models with cal 565, or more commonly a 14k gold cap for different models at different times. If the seller is correct, then he is describing a cal. 565 Mk I Dynamic, in solid 18k gold. I've not seen one of these in person, so can't say for sure if the bracelet is legit or not. I'd expect to see a gold bracelet. If it was a solid gold 18k, then it wouldn't be a surprise if it had a gold bracelet that got sold or melted down in the past.

So, this is either 18k solid gold or 14k gold cap - unlikely to be 18k gold cap as claimed. Without more details that help to zero in on exactly what model this really is, I wouldn't like to speculate too far on what this model is or what it is worth.

Hope this helps.

dalen26 and meganfox17 like this.