Forums Latest Members
  1. tam_1955 Apr 17, 2020

I have inherited the watch pictured below and have searched online but cannot find one that looks the same. Have found others that look similar but in different colours. Can anyone advise on it's age and if it has any value?
    Markings on the back cover appear to say Tool 107 Waterproof.

20200413_131617.jpg 20200413_131643.jpg 20200413_131704.jpg 20200413_131847.jpg
  2. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Apr 17, 2020

One crazy redial.

3. Biezmez Apr 17, 2020

Hi
    It’s certainly not the run of the mill type of watch face on a Geneve Dynamic. I also have not see this before, but I would view it as original. The font and printing looks really good to me. I’m sure some of the more experienced collectors here will be able to give you a confirmation as to whether it is original. Either way I think it’s a lovely piece.

Regards
    Chris

tam_1955 likes this.
  4. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Apr 17, 2020

I can't recall or find evidence of an original Dynamic dial with numerals. Of course with Omega there are always exceptions it seems. To me, the lume dots and their positions are very unusual. And the double dots at three, six and nine are very unorthodox.

tam_1955 likes this.
  5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 17, 2020

I'm leaning towards original. The relative complexity of the dial and the execution of the printing along with the apparent barn find condition is what I'm seeing here.

There were/are so many oddball variations on these.

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 17, 2020

I have never seen this configuration, but as others have said here, never say never with Omega.

The lettering print and the hour numbers are all in line with contemporary styles, and while it's unusual, I'm inclined to go with original.

Tool 107 refers to the number of the crystal lift tool required to remove the crystal for access to the movement.

The value will be lowered slightly due to condition, but may gain a bit due to the unusual dial.

You can check eBay sold listings for a guide to value.

tam_1955 likes this.
  7. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Apr 17, 2020

I say original, too. Everything else is absolutely untouched. The bracelet alone is pretty rare in that it's not an eBay fake.

Manual wind, right @tam_1955 ?

Value on these is not really much as a class. They have their enthusiasts including myself. Very cool products of the late 1960s and early 70s.

Here is an EXCELLENT essay about these fun watches.

I would have it serviced, replace the crystal and wear it in Good Health.

connieseamaster and tam_1955 like this.
  8. tam_1955 Apr 18, 2020

I have no idea what you mean with the term 'redial'. Can you explain please.

9. tam_1955 Apr 18, 2020

I'm unsure if it is manual wind or not as I have not tried to get it working. The only thing I have done is pull the wind button to alter the hand positions and that works perfectly. Your estimate of the date of the watch would tie in with the previous owner. My guess is that it was probably a retirement gift to him in late 60's. Where could I get a rough valuation of it in the UK?

10. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 18, 2020

ebay sold listings. Redial refers to a dial that has been repainted, which appears not to be the case with your watch.

connieseamaster likes this.
  11. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Apr 18, 2020

If you will allow me.

A "redial" is simply a repaint or reworking of the original dial. This was a "service" offered by watchmakers to freshen up a dial that had moisture damage, bad lacquer, damage from the watchmaker, etc. No matter how well it's done, to a collector it lowers the value.

So far the consensus is yours is am original but uncommon.

tam_1955 likes this.
  12. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 18, 2020

It does look original it must be said. The lume looks regular and aged, the marks even and well printed but I can't say I have ever seen that design before or anything like it. I too am surprised at the double dots on the main indices, that is very unusual for an Omega. That said the Dynamic line was funky and experimental so who knows what is still out there. Age will be late 1960s/early 70s as already noted.

I would assume it is a manual wind model based on the lack of extra Auto text. It probably uses the 601 movement. Value? Well an average to poor condition man wind dynamic might fetch £150-250 if unserviced, but the dial on this one is a big curve ball. If buyers believe it to be original and rare it will add value, maybe quite a lot but if they feel it is a redial then it wont help and it might languish at parts value.

Edited Apr 18, 2020
    Biezmez and tam_1955 like this.
  13. Davidt Apr 18, 2020

Dial looks very unusual but original to me.

Given the dial, I'd say value would have a larger range than normal but around £250-550

tam_1955 likes this.
  14. wilderbeast Apr 18, 2020

If you’re looking to sell, offering it as is on eBay with no BIN and letting the market decide tends to be the received wisdom. However, it’s an attractive piece and if you want to wear it, you’ll need to get it serviced by a watchmaker sympathetic to vintage Omegas and get that bracelet cleaned - there’s a lot of wrist cheese on there!

I bought the Dynamic (mkI from 1968) in my avatar here on OF for €425 a year ago. No bracelet but original buckle and it had been serviced. The bracelet on yours adds premium but it won’t have been serviced a while. @padders is right in that yours could be viewed either way in terms of upper or lower end of the market.

it’s a funky slice of design history, though. I’d wear it! Such fun and comfortable watches, IMO.

tam_1955, simomega and padders like this.
  15. Lucasssssss Apr 18, 2020

bardamu, 0uss, tam_1955 and 2 others like this.
  16. tam_1955 Apr 18, 2020

17. tam_1955 Apr 18, 2020

Can you give an estimate of cost for a service and clean?

18. wilderbeast Apr 18, 2020

Where are you based? I use a good independent watchmaker just outside of London who charges £250-280 for an automatic. A manual wind like this would be less. But his work is excellent and worth it, IMO.

I can’t stress enough that it’s worth getting someone who really knows what they are doing, and with an Omega parts account. I’ve spent more than watches have been worth in the past, just to safeguard the life and reliability of the piece for a few more years. I haven’t regretted it.

Dynamics open in a tricky way, with split stem and front loading case. Whoever does yours needs to be confident with that. And your shopping centre watch repair shop generally won’t be.

hope that helps! Good luck.

connieseamaster likes this.
  19. tam_1955 Apr 18, 2020

Based in Edinburgh.

20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 18, 2020

The one watch you find a new dial every couple of years. There is probably several more that will surface over the years.

Nice ultramen second hand :whistling:

tam_1955 likes this.