Forums Latest Members

Omega Geneve Dynamic (135.0033) - Stem, Hands and Wedge Woes.

1. Barnzee Jan 15, 2020

Hi All,

Long time Lurker, first time poster.

I am in the progress of restoring another Omega Geneve Dynamic with Cal 601 and case number 135.0033, and have some questions with regards to a few key things, as its the first one with this case ref number and movement combination I have had the pleasure (pain) of dealing with, and I want to get it right.

I am hoping you guys can help me.

Firstly, I am struggling to identify what split stem configuration is correct, as there are numerous different male stems for Cal 601.

I have purchased crown reference ST42528, with female outer stem reference 081st9993 and inner male stem reference of 600-1160 - is this correct? Seeing a smaller size male stem popping up, as well as crows with the female 'nub' attached, and generally confused.

It's my understanding I need to trim down the female stem and I'm happy with this process.

Weird thing is, I have the part 081st9993 already in abundance, and have tested it with the male stem from a cal 613 (another geneve Dynamic) and the teeth don't line up between male and female, but, 081st9993 does fit the crown st42528 perfectly, so even more confused what stem I need now.

Not sure if this is just because it is an old male stem...

Have a I purchased the correct stem and crown config based on my parts listing above?

I am also not sure if the cal 601 requires a 'Wedge' (spacer) to secure it in the case, attached to the movement, as the cal 565 does when in this same case - the part I am referring to is 0920001BL.

I can't see anywhere on the movement for this wedge to be 'attached' on the 601 and there was also no wedge on the watch when I got it (I know that doesnt mean it shouldn't have one but it wasn't 'Wiggling' without it so just checking).

I am struggling to find any information anywhere on the elusive 'Wedge' , and Cousins seem to only have previously ever sold it as a part for 5xx movement series, so just want to check if I need it (I think I do, certain I do? ).

Moreover, if I need the wedge, does anybody here have one to sell or know where to get one?

I can't find them anywhere (surprise!) , and am already thinking of ways of making my own spacer out of plastic, due to swatch parts restriction and hard times - anybody ever made a makeshift spacer to fill that half moon shaped void in the case, and how did you attach it to a cal 601? There is only one picture of this wedge circulating in the Internet and it comes from this forum initially - does anybody have any pictures of what it looks like at all they could share?

Finally, this watch has no hands!

I have already managed to source what I believed to be the correct white hands and orange sweep seconds, but alas, these turned out to be for the 10xx movement series, which has different hole sizes.

The parts I believe I need are 065pp1396 for the hands, and 066up8117 for the sweep - cousins and ofrei are out of stock (restrictions) , and I have invested in a broaching set to maybe resize the set I have that look the part but don't fit.

I have never done this before, and not sure how it could be done with the sweep seconds, but get the concept for the hand holes and process - any tips on broaching these hands, as well as resizing sweep seconds to fit?

I would ideally like to source the correct hands if possible and the wedge, and not have to use DIY, I also want to ensure I've got the correct stem and crown config.

Can you Omega Gurus assist me? This forum has helped me so many times over the last few years, and I'm really struggling in this one - it was finally time to sign up and say Hello to the pros .

Ben.

Edited Jan 16, 2020
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 16, 2020

Hi Ben,

Okay the Dynamics do have some quirks, so first I'll confirm that if your case is stainless steel (you didn't say what the material was) then yes you have the correct current replacement crown.

On the stems, the 081ST9993 is now discontinued, and is replaced by 081ST9992 - unclear what the difference is between the two, and I still have a pile of the 081ST9993 in stock, so I still use these.

There are two male winding stems for the Cal. 601:

72206001149 - overall length of 9.29mm

72206001160 - overall length of 10.59mm

There is no information available to tell me which is correct for your specific case, so you will have to measure and figure that out. Worst case scenario is order one of each and see what works.

With the problem of the "beak" of the male stem, not meshing with the recess in the female stem, I've not had this issue before, so is the old male stem deformed or corroded? If not, it should work, but I admit there are times when I replace both because the fit is not very good (too loose) and the stem pops apart too easily.

Photo of the male stem for reference:

[​IMG]

And the female:

[​IMG]

Now about that elusive wedge...as I assume you know, the movement is dropped into the case with the stem pointing at approx. 2 o'clock, and then the cut out in the dial is used (with something non marking) to turn the movement so the stem is at 3 o'clock, in order to engage the case clamps (these don't really clamp).

So here is a photo of the inside of the case:

[​IMG]

The red arrow points to a hollowed out area, and this is where the wedge goes when the movement is placed into the case. Here is a photo of the wedge (still on the movement and stuck there from gasket goop):

[​IMG]

There is a hole in the wedge that the stem goes through, so you have to sort of mount it on the edge of the movement where the stem is, drop the movement into the case, rotate the movement, and then install the stem. The wedge is designed to keep the movement from moving in such a way that allows the split stem can slide apart.

Here is a wedge I have in stock I just took a photo of for you - actually two of them so you can see the prolfile as well:

[​IMG]

I do use these, because I've had issues with the movements moving slightly, and this is good insurance to make sure that the stem doesn't slide apart, and you end up losing the crown.

As far as what hands are needed, without know what dial you have that's impossible to tell, because they change based on the dial. So I would have to see the dial you have to proide any help there.

Cheers, Al

3. Willbur Jan 16, 2020

Thanks I know why my movement is moving a bit now.

Barnzee likes this.
  4. Barnzee Jan 16, 2020

Thank you so much.

For the male stem, micrometer reading on existing Cal 613 stem measures 10.7 so I ordered 72206001160 as I assumed should be the same (have just now ordered the shorter stem as well, just in case) - I think we have now ascertained I will have a suitable stem and crown setup with at least some combination of what I have ordered, I hope. Thank you.

The pictures of the wedge are also really useful, and I now get the fact that it goes 'around' the stem, which is what I was struggling with (none of my other dynamics have ever had the wedge in them!).

Do you know where I can source one at all? Cousins and ofrei don't stock them.

Are there any places you can recommend via private message that I can source this elusive piece? Really want to ensure this one is done properly and this means I need the wedge.

I have attached a picture of the dial and hands to this reply, and also a picture of the finished article I am going for, in case it helps.

The hands should look like this for this dial I believe, and I also am fairly certain that the parts I need are 065pp1396 for the hands, and 066up8117 for the sweep.

The hands in the picture are from a 10xx movement so don't fit due to hole size but they are the same 'look' I need - I'm considering broaching them if I really have to...

I'm not sure, but I'm hoping the sweep seconds should fit the 601 any way, and I might only need to broach the minute and hour needles but haven't tried yet?

Anybody ever broached a sweep seconds hand, any idea how to go about it if I can't source hands?

Finally, Do you know anybody who could sell me some hands or can you reccomended a place etc. That has them? The correct hole size is all that has alluded me sadly.

Sorry for all the questions. I have spent months trying to source both the wedge and hands to no avail.

Once again, thanks so much for your help.

Ben.

IMG_20200116_184545.jpg Screenshot_20200116_190840.jpg
    Edited Jan 16, 2020
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 16, 2020

Hi Ben,

I can't really help you with where to find these parts - I order everything directly from Omega, so I don't normally go looking for parts like these on the open market. All I can suggest is that you keep looking. You can likely make a wedge if you have to, and the photo above with it shown on the movement should give you some scale and proportions for one.

The hands you need are as follows:

H/M - 065PP1396

Seconds - 066UP1380

Hands can be broached, to a point. It really depends how much material needs to be removed. Do you have cutting broaches, and a hand holder used for broaching? If not, you will need those.

Cheers, Al

Barnzee likes this.
  6. Willbur Jan 16, 2020

Barnzee likes this.
  7. Barnzee Jan 16, 2020

That was not in stock when I checked last time!

I'm going to grab one now.

It mentions it's for 500 and 1000 series movements, which is initially what made me question if the cal 601 needs one.

It 100% was not there when I checked on Monday. I even put in a stock request. Happy days!

Hopefully it's the same part for cal 601, either way, it can be adapted and I've snagged one as well as you.

Thanks Wilbur - Just the hands now.

Archer - I have the tools needed to broach the hands, but have never attempted anyhting with sweep seconds, only ever widened holes, so not overly confident that I won't mess this set up... That's why I'm hanging on for the correct hands, if they ever show up.

At the same time... I want to wear this watch and its so close to being done it its painful after months of searching and building, to be held up on a single part or so.

Ben.

Edited Jan 17, 2020
  8. Barnzee Mar 28, 2020

Hi All,

Long time no speak.

I Finished the watch ⌚

Managed to find the original hands after a very long time searching.

Thanks to Archer for the help and stay safe All.

Ben.

IMG_20200328_174819_149.jpg IMG_20200328_174127.jpg