Forums Latest Members

Omega Geneve Automatic - Advice on strap and in general needed for beginner

1. Jamie0701 Jul 4, 2019

Hey Guys,

Hope you are all well. My dad has recently gave me this watch - I have it booked in for a full service with a recommended independent watch shop. The chap has been doing it for 40 years.

The issue I have is I am new to Omega's and I am scouring the internet for a strap for the watch - can I get your opinions and advice? Also do people think a service could get this watch back into good shape? Is it a good model?

I am at work now so only have 2 pictures, I can take more tonight. I need to measure the width for the strap too - unless again people know the mm.

Apologies if this is really kind of basic or should know questions. I'm new to this but have always been facisnated as my dad collected watches whilst I was growing up. I get married in 6 weeks and this is his gift. So I want to get it into good shape and you guys are experts.

I know straight off it needs a good clean and new strap... but any other advice (such as is it worth it?) would be fantastic. If it is worth it where can I source a strap?

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

Watch.jpg Watch 2.jpg
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 4, 2019

First thing is get the current bracelet off the watch. The spring-loaded extenders tend to tear up the inside of the lugs. I would look at a nice black leather to dress it up a bit. For daily wear, I would get a bracelet for it. I'm sure someone knows what bracelet would likely have been available for it, originally.

felsby, Henneth, DaveK and 1 other person like this.
  3. KingCrouchy Jul 4, 2019

DaveK and Jamie0701 like this.
  4. Jamie0701 Jul 4, 2019

Thanks both - the service itself will be around £140 UK Pounds so do we think it is worth the investment? Absolutely I will remove the current bracelet - it is awful! I will have it removed this whilst being serviced. I would also love to buy a day watch vintage Omega and start my own collection. So if you have any recommendations please go ahead - I love the Pie Pan but a tad to dressy? Otherwise are vintage better as dress watches?

5. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jul 4, 2019

Dress 'em up, dress 'em down.

I agree with @efauser that a black leather strap goes with a stainless steel Omega, and can be worn anywhere with anything.

Enjoy your watch.

79B9ACF4-325F-4D13-B69A-687EBE645002.jpeg

KingCrouchy likes this.
  6. KingCrouchy Jul 4, 2019

A service for 140£ is cheap. I wouldn't call it an investment, but you can use the watch for 3-5 years (depending on the use) before it needs a service. This means the daily costs of ownership will be between 0.0767 - 0.1278£ which is definitely worth it.:thumbsup: If you find a Constellation to dressy, I suggest searching for a Geneve or a Seamaster. Here some that I had/have.
    You can also search the vintage Catalogue of Omega for inspiration.
    https://www.omegawatches.com/de/vintage-watches

Or just look at the What's on your wrist thread.:thumbsup:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/wruw-today.567/page-6299#post-1273115

IMG_20190501_141859.jpg IMG_20190415_183224.jpg IMG_20190328_131322.jpg
    DaveK likes this.
  7. Davidt Jul 4, 2019

Pretty sure a 7 link beads of rice bracelet with 199 endlinks is the correct bracelet for that model.

Critically the end links are the bit you need. BoR bracelets are quite common but the large number of case specific ends links means these are the bit that's hard to find.