Forums Latest Members
  1. andyfreestyle Jan 26, 2020

Ive recently inherited a watch from my dad, all i know is that its an Omega Geneve 9ct gold.

Im just curious if anyone could shed some light on the history of this watch or has any interesting information about it.

Thanks in advance.

IMG-20200126-WA0031.jpg IMG-20200126-WA0032.jpg IMG-20200126-WA0033.jpg IMG-20200126-WA0029.jpg IMG-20200126-WA0030.jpg
  2. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Jan 26, 2020

Hi there and welcome

you have a Geneve 9ct gold dress watch from the early 70's with integral bracelet. these were fairly typical for their time but are not so popular these days. The movement is cal 565 with the quick date set

the watch reference is the number inside the caseback. if you search this on google you may find more info

nice heirloom to have from your Dad so wear in good health

3. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 26, 2020

The 9K case and bracelet was actually made in the UK by D Shackman and Sons of London. As noted above, integrated bracelets aren't great, they usually have a limited fitment range and cant be swapped but at least that is a good quality Milanese. Hallmark looks like B for 1976.

In fact the caseback reference wont be of all that much use since it'll be a Shackman number rather than an Omega case number.

Gav1967 likes this.
  4. aprax Jan 26, 2020

I don't doubt what you're saying, but how do you know? Couldn't it be a Dennison case? I can't see a maker's mark other than OWC.

EDIT: Except if the big "S" stamp would stand for Shackman. Now that I have had a look at a Dennison case I have, they used to mark them "A.L.D." I thought that Shackman used the mark "DS&S".

Edited Jan 26, 2020
  5. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 26, 2020

The double S mark and the OWC mark are 100% Shackman telltales. OWC is not an Omega mark even though it looks like it should be, it’s a Shackman thing. Dennison made lovely cases but didn’t AFAIK make nice bracelets like that, Shackman made excellent Milanese straps. This is not a ALD case. As you say, Shackman also used the the DS&S stamp but that is more usually seen on bracelets or non watch products. There is a very good chance the bracelet clasp has the DS&S mark.

ps I live in Birmingham where Dennison was based, both companies are to be respected. Note the London leopard”s head Assay Mark, Birmingham hallmarked products use the Anchor.

Edited Jan 26, 2020
    KingCrouchy and aprax like this.
  6. Walton Paul Mar 5, 2020

I wonder if someone could help me? I have just got the same watch, for the simple reason is I love it and think they are excellent value for money, it is almost like new. 1970, just a couple of questions:

My clasp is plain, should it have the Omega logo on it? And if so, where could I buy one?

Many thanks