Forums Latest Members

Omega Geneve 1022, 1660117 restored, fake or cut and shut?

1. mendozarift Aug 6, 2017

Would anyone be able to offer an opinion on this watch Vintage Omega Geneve Stainless Steel Automatic Watch Cal 1022 | eBayPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

The seller appears to have been upfront about replacement crystal and repainted dial, wonder if this is a restoration, a cut and shut or an outright fake. It appears to be a watch that would have had a leather strap originally and has had a steel band added. Strangely the person I'm buying for wants a leather strap style but a steel band so this could fit the bill.

If it was a restoration is this way over the odds in cost?

Thanks again,
    Andrew

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 6, 2017

Does the movement look okay to you? Replacement crystals are no big deal.

mendozarift likes this.
  3. mikechi22 Aug 6, 2017

Hiya, Andrew! One of the prolific members @ConElPueblo had some pointed advice for Geneve shoppers: unless it's an amazing example, just move on! Now, if only I could find his actual post...

Given that the movement of the one you found looks rough and the dial is admittedly redone (and looks a little off), this is probably one to safely pass up. The style is admittedly cool so I get why you'd like it! I'm pretty sure one of the members was selling a pair of slightly older Geneve's but they still have that sober, Omega elegance.

Good luck!

mendozarift likes this.
  4. mendozarift Aug 6, 2017

Thank you for the tips, I'll give this one a miss. I hadn't seen the sales forums on this site I will be taking a look.

5. mikechi22 Aug 6, 2017

I dug back in there and the guy with the pair of Geneve's sold the one that was most similar to the one you spotted. He has another that is cool, but more ornate.

6. mikechi22 Aug 6, 2017