OMEGA Gene’ve Chronostop ref. 145.009 Cal. 865 Hand Wind SS

Recently got to check another classic Omega off my wishlist, this faded black/grey dialed Chronostop. I had been wanting a “Driver” or even an Italian Dynamic case model, but I wasn’t going to pass this up at the price. Now I am pleased I did, as a “no date” was high on my list, and this fit that bill. I don’t mind that the case shows plenty of use, especially since I see no evidence of buffing. It was hard to tell about the dial at bidding time, as the hesalite was rather wounded. Needless to say, some superfine sanding boards and polywatch revealed this near flawless face. I have already put a tiny scratch back on the crystal, just left of the “Chronostop”. I am cool with that, as I intend to wear it frequently once it returns from service. Even though technically this is smaller than almost all of my Omegas, it wears larger due to the case shape and very defined boxed crystal. Perhaps my next one will be an Italian version, and I’ll be fussier with that…and likely rarely wear it. Much thanks to DSIO for the extraordinary multi-part treatise on these rather unique Omegas.
DSC06295.JPG
This Chronostop contains a nice Omega caliber 865 hand wind 17 Jewel “no date” movement, which is a lesser-functioned version of the cal. 861 used in earlier Speedmasters. It has decent plating and minimal decoration, and has no indications of being adjusted by Omega.
DSC06283.JPG
This 21600 bph movement will be jumping to the head of the line for service, as that is what the OF sages recommend. It was tested on the Timegrapher in the dial up position and delivered +9 to 14 seconds per day; a balance wheel amplitude at full wind of 263 degrees; and a beat error of 0.6 milliseconds.
DSC06376.JPG
Spec sheet:
OMEGA Gene’ve Chronostop ref. 145.009 Cal. 865 Hand Wind SS
Width w/o Crown: 34.10 mm, Tonneau
Length: 38.80 mm
Depth: 11.05 mm w/crystal
Lug Width: 17.85 mm
Crystal: 31.60Dia mm, in watch. Hesalite, signed
DSC06359.JPG
Crown: 5.65Dia mm, signed
Pusher: 4.00Dia mm, not signed
Case Back Diameter: 31.80 mm
DSC06268.JPG
Case Back Thread OD: 30.55 mm
DSC06272.JPG
Inside case back inscription: Omega symbol and Omega Watch Company, inside triangle; Fab. Suisse; Swiss Made; Acier Inoxydable; 145.009; stylized Keyhole symbol
Engraving on outside case back: Waterproof; Tested 30m, around perimeter
Movement: cal. 865 17 jewel Hand Wind, 21600 bph, no apparent adjustments
Engraving on Movement: Seventeen 17 Jewels; Omega; Swiss; Omega symbol over 865; 26574826 on escapement bridge.
Timegrapher 1900 readings: +9 to 14 seconds a day; 263 degrees of amplitude; 0.6 milliseconds of beat error; 50 degrees lift angle.
DSC06320.JPG

Like 4
Nice always liked these

btw, the diving helmet symbol (what you called keyhole) means that the case was made by Ervin Piquerez SA (EPSA), who made highly water resistant cases for many different manufacturers

I’m sure that case could look as good as new again if given to Tanner

Like 1
Hi Sherbie

Much obliged! I guess I should have figured that out, since I do have a Hamilton 600 with an EPSA case. The hardhat symbol inside that
DSC05894.JPG
caseback is much more elaborate. Will file that one away for future knowledge.
I have heard Tanner referred to in different threads, but I do not know how to make that contact.

Thanks again

jimmy

Very nice! Dial looks pretty great ! I had a Driver 145.010 for a couple years and really dug it. Oddly enough though, I always caught myself wishing for a more standard orientation of the 145.009 like yours. Regarding case refinishing, it's obviously your watch so you do as you please, but from the others that I've seen your case looks to be pretty sharp and if it were mine to be a daily wearer, I'd elect to leave it as is. Most of these Chronostop tonneau shaped cases were pretty poorly refinished and regardless of the scratches, to see one with original crisper case lines is pretty cool. Also if you end up looking for a catalog correct bracelet for yours I highly recommend the 1118 bracelet reference.

Congrats from my no longer with me Driver on the mesh 1120/116 bracelet.
031.jpg
My favorite bracelet for these Chronostops though was the 1118 bracelet reference which was super comfortable and similar to the Speedmaster equipped 1116 "bullet" style bracelet.

Like 1
Hi OneTwo

Your comments contain some very useful information for me. I am chuckling, because your 145.010 "Driver" with the Omega fitted mesh is something of an ultimate Chronostop for me. I am aware that finding that 1120 bracelet in decent shape---and that would fit on my 8.5 inch wrist---is pie in the sky stuff. I will definitely be looking for a 1118 though! Thanx for the tip, saves me a ton of web surfing.

Your other observation about re-finishing, or not, the case reflects just about exactly where I am with this watch. I am interested in knowing more about Tanner, but for pieces other than this. The truth is I am rough on watches. I often acquire timepieces in rather nice condition, and then I don't want to wear them because I know what even a few hours with me will result in. This Chronostop seems perfect for a frequent wear number. It has some sass and stature, but I am not reticent to wear it. The only reason it isn't being worn now (except for today), is that I have read that these Chronostops should be serviced before regular use. And that is what I will do. But then "it's on"!

One note on this watch...the lume plots are dead!

take care

jimmy

Search tanner morehouse speedmaster refinishing

https://tmwatchco.com/front-page/about-us/

I,ve seen wonderfully sympathetic refinishes on speedmaster mark 2 cases and others from tanner
Hi again Sherbie
Wow, that was quite a trip down Omega memory lane. North Dakota no less. Much appreciated

jimmy

Nice watch. I have had this one since 2014. It was the second Omega watch that I bought. I also have the italian chronostop and the chronostop with a rotationg bezel. That was the first watch I bought from this forum. I am a big fan of 70 s omegas. Here is another 70’s non chronstop that I really like.
IMG_0059.jpeg IMG_0061.jpeg
IMG_0025.jpeg

Like 1
Nice watch. I have had this one since 2014. It was the second Omega watch that I bought. I also have the italian chronostop and the chronostop with a rotationg bezel. That was the first watch I bought from this forum. I am a big fan of 70 s omegas. Here is another 70’s non chronstop that I really like.
IMG_0059.jpeg IMG_0061.jpeg
IMG_0025.jpeg
A chronostop with the box is obviously a find. That TV Gene've is out there! Do you have the reference number so I can begin my search?

I think the box is period correct, but I am not 100% sure it is the correct box for the watch. The strap is quite rare to be in such good condition. The second watch is a Geneve cal 1481 ‘TV dial’. It was bought from a member who sold some amazing watches. He sadly passed away last year. Here is a link to the original sales post: https://omegaforums.net/threads/nos...nning-original-new-old-stock-condition.36677/.
Tom was a fantastic contributor to this forum and I was lucky enough to buy 3 watches from him all of which I still have.

Like 1
Hi
I think the box is period correct, but I am not 100% sure it is the correct box for the watch. The strap is quite rare to be in such good condition. The second watch is a Geneve cal 1481 ‘TV dial’. It was bought from a member who sold some amazing watches. He sadly passed away last year. Here is a link to the original sales post: https://omegaforums.net/threads/nos-omega-geneve-‘tv-dial’-caliber-1481-absolutely-stunning-original-new-old-stock-condition.36677/.
Tom was a fantastic contributor to this forum and I was lucky enough to buy 3 watches from him all of which I still have.
Hi lillatroll
Thank you for the ref. no. and link to the original posting. It is nice that you are memorializing him.
jimmy

This bracelet wears very comfortably for me.
Hi TexOmega

Nice watch, lover the "Driver". The bracelet is the one I like the best, but I will never be able to find one that will fit my wrist. Thanx for the "inside" wristshot!

jimmy

Chronostops to me look naked without the outer rotating Bezel.

Still a great watch. My second favorite, and the One I chose to take to Switzerland in 2022.

Like 1
Chronostops to me look naked without the outer rotating Bezel.

Still a great watch. My second favorite, and the One I chose to take to Switzerland in 2022.
Hi sheepdoll,

An interesting take on bezel vs no-bezel on a Chronostop. It is revealing that you chose a C-Stop to wear when you went to Switzerland.
Thanx for the input

jimmy

Here's my Chronostop in vermilion, a colour variant that I haven't seen many examples of.

Like 1
Here's my Chronostop in vermilion, a colour variant that I haven't seen many examples of.
Hi MakesBelieve

Thank you for the stunning image! Gives a whole new perspective on the phrase, "that's a cherry watch!" Case is in phenomenal condition. I am sure many Omegaphiles have offered to buy it off your arm. Take care

jimmy

Like 1