Forums Latest Members
  1. pietrofrp Apr 19, 2020

Hi everyone and thanks for accepting me in this forum.
    Recently I've been investigating about vintage Omega Genève as I would like to buy one that will be my first top-quality watch.
    I have a few doubts regarding these two references: 166.099 and 166.041.

Genève 166.099
    Regarding this one (that I read somewhere was probably designed by Gèrald Genta, not surely) I see auctions online with two types of bracelet: the 1189 and 366.
    Which one is the original one for that specific Genève? In case I go for this I'd like to buy a complete original.
    (Caliber 565 or 1481 or 613?)

Here some examples of auctions that I am following: 366 bracelet; 1189 bracelet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Genève 166.041
    Regarding this reference I have a different doubt.
    I see online two types very similar to each other: 166.041 and 166.0041, fact that actually just confuses me.
    Caliber I understand is 565 or 552..
    Here an auction that I am following, would you attempt to go for this one ( I really like it)?
    I do not understand if the bracelet is original or not.
    166.0041 auction
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Generally speaking, would you attempt auctions like these? Do you believe they are original components all over?
    Many thanks

2. Davidt Apr 19, 2020

First picture - bracelet original.
    Second picture - I don't think it's original (but I don't follow these closely so not 100% sure).
    Third picture - bracelet not original. Dial is not great and case has some wear. These are not hard to find in god condition so I'd wait...

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 19, 2020

If it’s your first watch go with the style of the third. The first 2 have integrated bracelets that can not be changed to a leather strap

simomega likes this.
  4. pietrofrp Apr 19, 2020

Thanks guys, as per the 166.0041 or 166.041 difference you know anything specific?
    What that "0" in addition means?
    Thanks

5. Davidt Apr 19, 2020

It's simply a change in the internal numbering/reference system that occurred in 1970, so the second part of all references went to 4 digits from 3. As a result the .041 became .0041.

Although this changes occurred on paperwork and internal records around 1970 it didn't actually filter through to the case backs of some models until the late 80's.

So you may see a receipt that says .0041 but the caseback may still say .041.

Giovanni2023 likes this.
  6. pietrofrp Apr 20, 2020

Ok Davidt, thats pretty clear, thanks for the clarification.
    If you'd be to buy your first serious Omega watch what will be your choice now? I'm looking for Geneve and Seamaster but maybe you have specific suggerstions ( i like vintages..).

7. Davidt Apr 20, 2020

Well there's an almost infinite amount of subjectivity involved in these decisions.

When I was looking for my first vintage Omega, I knew I wanted a 60's Speedmaster. However, you may prefer a 1940's 30t2, or a funky 70's model.

From your opening post I'll assume your budget is c.500 £/$/€ and you're looking at late 60's/early 70's. If that's the case I would look for an automatic 55x powered Seamaster, DeVille or Geneve (or possibly a manual wind with 6xx calibre). These aren't particularly rare but it may take a few weeks to find one in good original condition at a reasonable price.

pietrofrp likes this.
  8. Giovanni2023 Oct 19, 2023

Very helpful info! I was just going to start a new post with this very question because I was so confused!

I bought a .041 that was recommended and was researching for the original bracelet using the official list parings---and there was no .041, so I assumed it was a mistake and corresponds to the .0041--- after looking up the pics and seeing its the same watch. But then I took my case off and it was .041! Then I researched both watches and found that some did have backcases that listed it with the extra zero, while others did not.

Finally, I found your post here and it all makes sense. That was going to be my logical deduction but it's nice to have it confirmed. It would have been much easier to just search if this question came up before here directly instead of doing the detective work. Lesson learned.

Still on a search for a nice stainless steel bracelet for mine. I'm partial to the "beads of rice" style but I don't think that it came with it originally...

9. numero27 Oct 19, 2023

Giovanni2023 likes this.