Omega factory service on speedmaster pro

Hello.
I’ve searched but am unable to find the answer to this. I would like to have my ‘96 861 speedmaster professional serviced.
I brought it to the Omega AD because of a chrono function-minute hand problem. I knew the watch needed servicing but they told me they could not fix it in-house and that they were sending it to Omega to have service completed. I’d prefer dial, tritium indices and hands remain intact, but I would like to have a factory polish on bracelet and case.

I declined the option to send it there until I did some more research, so I’m asking a couple questions first:

1. Does Omega replace these items with service parts or am I able to specify keeping old parts?

2. If service+polish, how much does this typically cost and about how long does it take?

thanks.

You may be able to request that they not replace those parts OR to not have it polished but they may do so anyways. Where about are you located and someone may be able to recommend an independent watch maker?

Your going to loose your tritium dial and hands, and get modern Luminova.

No way around this, you will get the removed parts generally, but the condition may not be perfect.

@gearjockey making sure you get an alert on the above.

Thanks

I am hearing you on this. That is what I am afraid of. Trying to find solution which preserves original dial and hands while allowing a proper polish.

Try Nesbits in Seattle, they will work with you to save the dial and hands if at all possible, and do a moderate polishing as requested.

Like 1
AFAIK, after an Omega service, they returned the parts that were replaced... 2016 post-service with return pouch
(Photo: MoonwatchUniverse)
MOONWATCHUNIVERSE-SPEEDMASTER.jpg

Like 1
AFAIK, after an Omega service, they returned the parts that were replaced... 2016 post-service with return pouch
(Photo: MoonwatchUniverse)
MOONWATCHUNIVERSE-SPEEDMASTER.jpg

True, you can have the old hands and pushers put back. But you can't undo polish. Omega polished my 2010 Apollo-soyuz Speedmaster ::censored:: There was no need for that. I have a hard time trusting that they would leave a vintage watch case alone.

But, they would do a nice job on a case if you wanted a polish, particularly if it had already been polished.
Edited:

Like 1
Don’t send it to Omega. There are plenty of good independent watchmakers who will do exactly what you want and refrain from doing what you don’t want. I would recommend TM Watch Company (Tanner Morehouse) in Fargo, ND. They do excellent work and have a well deserved reputation for excellent case refinishing and restorative techniques. They will do a proper polish without sacrificing the case lines and edges.

Like 5
So after looking at a few independent watchmaker, decided to have serviced at TM Watch Company. Initial sticker shock however. quoting $1200 for service and polish not including return shipping. I will let you know how they complete the job. They were extremely nice on the phone.

It seems as though the service rate for chronographs has skyrocketed over the past year or so. Omega used to charge $750 and it’s $900 now. My local watchmaker, who is Omega certified, recently quoted me $1,000 for servicing my 1969 145.022, although that did include touching up the lettering on the case back. TM isn’t cheap, but they do really nice work. Expect a wait of several months, but you’ll be very pleased with the results.

Like 1
I have been using Manhattan Time Service in NYC for years . . . . I trust them 100%. I'm sure they can help you. Check out their online stuff, read about their history, and look at Facebook and reviews if interested. Good luck.

Like 1
TM serviced my tritium dial 3570.50 last year. Reasonable turnaround and they did a great job. I’ll be sending them my 3594.50 sometime this year.

Like 1
It seems as though the service rate for chronographs has skyrocketed over the past year or so. Omega used to charge $750 and it’s $900 now.

WTF ::censored::
I had to fact check that and was sad to see you are correct. I don't send my Omega watches to the Omega Service Center, but I have found that my independent local watch maker that does do my Omegas keeps his prices pretty close to what Omega charges. :(

Like 1
I’ve had nothing but good experiences with my OB SC in Shanghai. They write down my instructions and so far have not failed on following them.

Like 1
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, my name's Jerome and I live in France. I have been reading this forum for a long time and would like to take the opportunity to thank all contributors who make this place a very complete source of information.

My message is not about the Speedmaster but about the beautiful 2254.50 below that I bought a couple of years ago.
It has been losing time recently so I guess it is time for a service. I am considering sending it to Omega but would like to check two points beforehand :
- The bezel has a light scratch and i am considering changing it ; do you have an idea of the price for that and will the old one be given back to me as well ?
- I will send it with the bracelet (not shown here), but I changed the clasp to the micro-adjust type. I read a while ago that modded watches (ex: dial change) were usually restored by Omega to their original condition when sent for a service. What would happen to my clasp ? (i wouldn't like them to put back the original clasp !)

Thanks !

upload_2023-4-19_23-29-40.png

Like 1
They will fit a new bezel if you request and pay for it and will return the original. The cost is now something like an extra €250. It’s gone up a lot in the past 5 years, doubled in fact. I doubt they will care about the clasp as it is a modification with a genuine part.