Forums Latest Members
  1. Interstellar Nov 5, 2015

So coming across one of these unique tuning fork watches and having read all the interesting things about them here and other sites, i decided to get one.

When it arrived, it was not moving so i took it to the watchmaker and was quite relieved to learn that there was no battery in it.

[​IMG]

After some clean-up, etc and popping a new battery in, it sprang to life.

But the peculiar thing is this : Tuning fork watches are known as "hummers" but i do not hear any humming of any sort coming from mine?

Is this normal or is this broken? After a month, it is still keeping perfect time though. Would appreciate members' feedback here on this.

[​IMG]

2. Northernman Lemaniac Nov 5, 2015

Hummers are humming. Some more than others.
    Put it on a glass plate and you should surely hear it!
    If it is moving, its humming. 300Hz is a very audible frequency!
    :thumbsup:

3. Jacquot Nov 5, 2015

They do not hum nearly as loud as their Bulova cousins. My 218 is loud enough to keep me awake, but need to listen very closely for the f300. Nice watch.

Interstellar likes this.
  4. Canuck Nov 5, 2015

Try holding one hear while you listen with the other.. Retreat to a quiet room as you do it. If you STILL don't hear the humming, you might have problems with your hearing.

5. Private_Doberman Nov 5, 2015

I have just placed each of my four Hummers separately against my ear, and each is humming strongly but each with a different tone. They do have a quite distinctive and very easily audible sound,

You have a smart looking watch.

6. Interstellar Nov 5, 2015

Canuck, Private_Doberman,

You guys are right. I held it against my ear in a quiet place and there it was... Humming along. Though quite soft if compared to the tickings of mechanical watches.
    This is my first experience with these hummers and i really thought that they would be more audible from the wrist.

When i wear my Seamaster, i can hear it chugging along without putting it against my ear so that was my benchmark i guess. Anyway, thanks guys. Mystery solved.

And yeah, i dig this watch. Love the raised hour markers and sloped chapter rings. Here's another view... Enjoy! :)

[​IMG]

7. rogart ray it again, Ram. Nov 5, 2015

Congratulations you have a really nice "Hummer". Looks good with bracelet .

Interstellar likes this.
  8. Interstellar Nov 5, 2015

Thanks man