Forums Latest Members
  1. omega-me Aug 24, 2016

2. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Aug 24, 2016

To me, wearing Omega sunglasses would be like wearing an Oakley watch. Nope.

Edit: figured I should actually check this. Do a google image search for Oakley Watch. Good grief!

José9, aap, Foo2rama and 2 others like this.
  3. Andreas Aug 24, 2016

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Oakley+Watch+images# :whistling:

4. Andreas Aug 24, 2016

I know they wanna make money from everywhere they can but this is a false move. You are either a watch company or fashion company.
    just look around and see which other watch companies have Eyewear Collections.

5. dx009 Aug 24, 2016

:eek:

Buy a vintage Omega in good condition or a pair of sun glasses ?

Jwit likes this.
  6. Speedmasterfan88 Aug 24, 2016

If I recall correctly, @Superdoc has some Omega shades. Maybe he can give some hands on impressions? :)

7. omega-me Aug 24, 2016

Swatch has one. The funny thing is that Swatch and Omega eyewear are not produced by the same company.
    Tag heuer has an eyewear collection too. I think this can be a good move. Not as a fashion company, but a luxury company.

Sunglasses are now considered as "status symbol" like the watches so... Why not? Also consider that a good pair of sunglasses can protect your eyes :)

They are available only from this month at the Omega boutiques so if he has a pair of Omega Sunglasses he has to be one of the first in the world :)

Speedmasterfan88 likes this.
  8. Speedmasterfan88 Aug 24, 2016

Think he's in the inner circle considering Omega products ;).

9. omega-me Aug 24, 2016

Ooh, ok! I'm in the inner circle of eyewear production :D

10. rcs914 Aug 24, 2016

The Wayfarer style ones look great - the Pilot Style Sport are completely hideous.

11. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Aug 24, 2016

Am I correct in assuming that these aren't available with prescription lenses?

12. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Aug 24, 2016

I feel that there is a significant tradeoff in sunglasses for wearing them as a status symbol vs eye protector. I personally love sunglasses but have found that status symbol (fashion brands like Gucci, Michael Kors, Fossil) sunglasses have fairly poor lens quality when compared to actual glasses companies (ex. Ray Ban, Persol) And then you wear something along the lines of Maui Jims and the lens quality is exponentially higher than others. I only hope that if Omega is producing sunglasses they are providing a lens that matches the quality of their watches, not simply throwing their name on glasses to expand further into the fashion market.

Gavlin likes this.
  13. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 24, 2016

I tried them, was not impressed. :unsure:

getty_rf_photo_of_man_wearing_sunglasses.jpg

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 24, 2016

So basically if I had one guess who is making them with Omega branding I would be correct?

For those that don't know about the Eyewear monopoly this is a good watch.

15. redpcar Aug 24, 2016

.............what the.............next thing you know Porsche will be making trucks

Not Luxotica (Horrible interview on 60 Minutes. Made me hate them.) It's Marcolin. They make Tom Ford, Kenneth Cole, Timberland, Mont Blanc, Gant, and many more.

I'm more a fan of the American Optical. Not a big conglomerate. Just flat-a** cool.

[​IMG]

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 24, 2016

I owned both an Oakley Time Bomb and a matching pair of Eyejacket 2.0s that were styled in concert with the Time Bomb. No idea where either are now.

17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 24, 2016

I thought they did?

Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 12.11.50 PM.png

:D

cicindela, ulackfocus and meganfox17 like this.
  18. omega-me Aug 25, 2016

The CEO looks pretty stupid and untrustworthy in this interview. Anyway you don't have to believe that all the sunglasses are the same. Some sunglasses costs a lot because of the brand, but you have to know that in eyewear production there are dozen of raw materials you can use (from plastic to natural horn), dozen of "plastic" lenses or "glass" lenses, dozen of hinges, dozen of temples and dozen of screws, too. Sounds incredible? But it's the truth.
    So it would be wrong to say that a 500$ pair of sunglasses is always the same of a 100$ pair. It's like saying that a Swatch is the same of an Omega because both show the time.
    I really don't think that Omega will sell a pair of sunglasses which worth 100$ for 650$. You will pay a percentage for the brand, like any other fashion and luxury product, but I don't think they are selling low quality glasses for high price

No, you don't need prescription lenses. You can wear it as they are. All the sunglasses lenses are good for everyday use if you don't need special lenses. Obviously you have to buy quality glasses, the best ones often use polarized lenses.

19. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 25, 2016

The issue is more the fact that one company basically has 80%+ of the not cheap eyewear market. They also own the stores and the insurance companies. They set prices and prevent competition. The places where 90% of Americans get prescription glasses are all owned by the same company which also own the brands and your insurance and no one knows this. In the US it's basically impossible to compete in eyewear against them. There is no way it costs 100usd for them to make 600ysd glasses and they own the whole chain from mfg to dist. If it costs them 30 with shipping and personnel costs I would be surprised.

I only buy from non luxottica brands like SALT.

20. omega-me Aug 25, 2016

Good, so you can buy these Omega sunglasses :p