Forums Latest Members
  1. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 23, 2014

more expensive!:eek:

I placed this order two days ago. Two weeks ago, was still $90, so this is a very recent change. Don't know if it applies outside the US.

======================

Dear Awesome Customer That We Love $o Much!

Thank you for your email.

We will proceed to process your request and would like to advise that the cost of this service has recently increased to $150 USD. However, we will honor the previous cost of $90 USD as a courtesy.

We thank you for your understanding and remain at your disposal for any further assistance.

Customer Care
    Swatch Group, USA

initialjh likes this.
  2. RCAFBuster Oct 23, 2014

That's a hefty gouge increase for a quick look up and a piece of embossed paper.

dennisthemenace likes this.
  3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 23, 2014

initialjh likes this.
  4. JohnSteed Oct 23, 2014

::money::

5. repoman Oct 23, 2014

I just submitted a request through my AD a week ago for $90, looks like I just got in under the wire.

6. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Oct 23, 2014

Had a look myself yesterday.
    The Omega museum was still quoting CHF 75 - http://www.omegamuseum.com/extract-archives
    However when you click through the link it says CHF 120 as stated by Gatorcpa above. Pretty disappointing as I've been meaning to get a few.

The thing I'm not sure about is whether they add VAT on top?

Can you opt to pay in CHF and hope for a better exchange rate on your credit card?

7. Traveler Oct 23, 2014

Makes you appreciate Longines all the more - very helpful and still completely free of charge...

watchyouwant likes this.
  8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 23, 2014

VAT is generally included the the price of goods in Europe, since it is a national tax, unlike state sales tax in the US. Goods purchased for export are exempt, and VAT may be refunded under certain conditions. In this case, VAT would not be refunded as the service is provided in-country.

Since Omega doesn't directly accept payments from the U.S. for these extracts on the Internet, I doubt you can pay with your credit card in francs. My understanding is that you have to email Swatch USA or go to an Omega Boutique to start the process.

Take care,
    gatorcpa

9. Wongo Oct 24, 2014

Milking in the cash like IWC as well. Didn't know you can ask Longines for past info! Learn another new thing.

10. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 24, 2014

The Longines archive service is very easy to use. Request online and you'll shortly (mine took only two days) receive an email with all the details - all at no charge.:)

And, they remain entirely at my disposal. :cool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. lando Oct 24, 2014

12. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Oct 24, 2014

I personally don't care for the certificate but would like to check a few serial-case issues from time to time. I think omega should have a service similar to longines where you get an email reply within a couple of days for a flat yearly fee (or a fee per number of inquiries or for access over a set period of time).

13. bill5959 Oct 24, 2014

I paid only $80 US about two months ago. But the serial number was written down incorrectly, so I may have your extract! :cool: Regards, Bill

14. speedbird Oct 24, 2014

I'm glad I got mine when I did

15. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Oct 24, 2014

Ferrari started this trend imho. What was once seen as a service is now seen as a way to generate turnover. Lot of money for (I assume) max 15 minutes of work.

16. speedbird Oct 24, 2014

I have the pdf for the archives extract request for US based omega owners

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 24, 2014

It does take them some time, having spoken to the guys there's a huge amount that's even on ancient micro-film so tracking down and validating accurate information is more than a 15 minute process. My most recent one actually has another signature on it so it looks like they might have had to add another staff member to the archive to speed things up.

18. speedbird Oct 24, 2014

I'll bet it takes some time to do. I've used a microfiche machine before and unless the catalog system is well-organized, it can take a while

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 24, 2014

Just in that 50s/60s range from memory there's something like 20 million watches, and then there's all the Calibre 320/321 records which are actually not Omega records but rather are Lemania records, and incomplete at that. If you submit a serial that the information is missing on (mainly early sub 20M 321/320 serials as Lemania lost them), they write back to let you know the records are not there and give a full refund. Alain Monachon the archivist really puts a lot into his work, takes it very seriously and goes to great lengths, he's a collector as well with incredible knowledge of the brand and history.

20. speedbird Oct 24, 2014

I'd love to spend a day in the Omega archives. However, I'd like to spend a week in the Rolex archives

Barking mad likes this.