Forums Latest Members

Omega Electroquartz: something pretty darn rare and special arrived today

1. Tom Dick and Harry Feb 18, 2014

Afternoon all

This arrived in the post this morning, I was very apprehensive as I took a massive gamble on a piece that if it didn't work was going to be impossible to repair and I bought it as a non runner! Anyway, I unpacked it and put some batteries in and..................... nothing ;-( I took the batteries out, cleaned the contact and replaced them and............. away she went

[​IMG]

This is the third example of this clock I've owned, the other two are now on display at Omega but I wanted one for myself to keep, so I am utterly chuffed to bits, Introduced in 1968 these where basically the predecessors to Omegas quartz revolution of the 1970's, they were produced in very limited numbers and from what I can gather weren't commercially available, virtually all of them where sent to large Omega retailers and display clocks or given as gifts by Omega.

[​IMG]

What makes it so special is the movement, yes thats right it requires 4 AA batteries and as you can see the technology is pretty old school, but man is it accurate, I trimmed it in when it first arrived and it is bang on, apparently according to Journey Through Time it should be as accurate as my Marine Chronometer and Megaquartz Stardust, variation of +- 1 SPM, pretty impressive even my modern standards

[​IMG]

Everything about the clock smacks of hand made limited run manufacture, even down to the glass which when dismantled is noticeably hand finished on the edges to fit the case, the case is hard plastic with a steel inner shell/ hub for the workings to be mounted on all of the workings are encased in a large plasic pod like rear shell, very cool! AS you can see from the above image the quartz bar is enormous, as is the trimmer, it almost like a 'land of the giants' version of the watch by the same name/

Anyway thought I would show it off, not something you will see everday and certainly not something i'm likley to find again soon, I have been looking for this for three years now and just over the moon, here she is with my completely 100% NOS and unworn version of the wristwatch by the same name which sparked the quartz revolution, the watch is a 31 mil serial (1969) so it is literally one of the first Omega made and she goes great with her big brother ;-)

[​IMG]

Cheers Tom

2. ulackfocus Feb 18, 2014

…. but….. but…. but….. it has batteries.

3. Tom Dick and Harry Feb 18, 2014

ha ha.... I know I have an illness which is manifesting itself in a love of all things battery powered and made by Omega pre 1980 ;-)

ron n likes this.
  4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 18, 2014

Great grandfather of Quartz watch & clock.........

5. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 18, 2014

Congrats on the find!

So the other two you've owned are now with Omega? What's the rest of that story, would love to hear how that came about.

Spacefruit likes this.
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 18, 2014

Me too

::popcorn::

7. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Feb 18, 2014

and where did you find not one but 3 of these?

8. MattAus May 26, 2014

Hi - congratulations on the latest acquisition. I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction to find more information about Omega Quartz - specifically Electroquartz? I have a Constellation f8192 cal. 191.0003 (I believe) solid gold purchased in '77 but I would like to know more about it. I've included a pic but it's fairly poor quality, I'm afraid. I will get better images shortly. Best regards, Matt Electroquartz.jpg