Forums Latest Members
  1. Willard Dynamic Jan 9, 2015

Greetings,
    I have purchased my first vintage Omega. Like so many others, I have been in love with the Omega Dynamic for almost a decade. I have been looking for this specific dial/function combination and have been looking for over 6 years as I understand its a very rare combination. I have come across them in the past but they sold for way more than I could afford. Overall the watch is in great condition except for the dial, which still isn't terrible. I'm aware of my options, including finding a NOS or Refurbished of the same dial but that would probably cost as much as I paid for the watch. Second, getting the dial professionally redone, which I don't want to do although I never plan to sell the watch. Lastly, this is what I need help with, would be cleaning the dial. I have read multiple threads on several forums regarding this practice. They all come to the same conclusion, it's the materials used to make the dial that are indicative of it's ability to be cleaned. So, I ask of all of you; does anyone have any experience, knowledge, or can advise to the degree in which I would be successful cleaning up this dial. It's a first generation Dynamic I (Case ref #166.0079, Cal. 752, w/ Grand Prix dial). I've included a photo of the dial in question. Additionally, I understand there is a fourth option which is to leave it alone and I don't plan to exercise that option at this time. Any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated and I thank you all in advance.
    Happy New Year!
    Best,

BW Schimke

[​IMG]

Dynamic.PNG
    Edited Jan 9, 2015
  2. John R Smith Jan 9, 2015

Greetings. . . .

Cleaning a dial is something which most professionals will avoid at all costs. In most cases, anything other than a very light brushing with a sable hair brush will just make things worse, not better. The charm of a vintage watch - and hence its desirability to serious collectors - lies in the patina which it has acquired over the years.

Edited Jan 9, 2015
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 9, 2015

That one is not likely to clean, the issues appear to lie under the protective lacquer finish.

4. Willard Dynamic Jan 9, 2015

Hi John,
    Thank you for the reply. I'm fine with patina. I have a 1985 Tudor Prince Oysterdate with a silver dial that has turned this gorgeous satin color from age. The watch is stunning. This dial on my newly acquired Dynamic, in my opinion, is by no means stunning. I don't know what happened to the bottom left quadrant but it looks filthy. I'm greatly hoping to at the very least clean up the black smear mark between 6 - 9 marker, and get the sliver hour markers to shine again. If I could have that done I would be very pleased. Although, it is because of the dial condition I got this watch so cheap. Thank you again for your $0.02 and have a great weekend!

Best,

BW Schimke

5. cristit Jan 9, 2015

Really hard to clean that area without damaging the dial. You will be forced to repaint those small indexes. I will leave the dial as it is, also my 2c.

6. Willard Dynamic Jan 9, 2015

XJR,
    Thank you for you reply. I would like to avoid discussing whether the discoloration would come clean until I can conclude whether the dial can even safely be cleaned. If this dial can be cleaned and the discoloration doesn't come out then it doesn't come out, no harm no foul. I'm tying to focus on whether it can be cleaned without damaging the graphics/text and what is safe to use to do so. If the integrity of the dial is going to be compromised by cleaning it then there is no reason to discuss the stubbornness of the stains. Have a great weekend.

Best,

BW Schimke

7. TNTwatch Jan 9, 2015

Would be easy to clean if it was just some dust or dirt on the surface. Here I think it is oxidation or damage by moisture on the lacquer layer. Cleaning (meaning removing) it would more than likely take along the printings underneath and that's the reason for most of the advices here to leave it alone. If otherwise feasible, many would have done it already.

cristit likes this.
  8. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 9, 2015

Offering our observations and alternate advice is our way of saying, "the dial cannot be cleaned by any method we know, without the high risk of further damaging the dial."
    Of course, your effort may be the miracle solution we ALL seek.
    If you are successful (and I hope you will be!) please share it with us. I speak for myself and probably others when I say I have had zero success improving the look of a dial by any of several different methods of cleaning.
    Sorry not to offer the answer you seek, but I hope some responses were more rewarding than returning to a thread showing zero responses :)
    Good luck, and congrats on landing an attractive Dynamic (dial and all...) at a great price!

9. Willard Dynamic Jan 9, 2015

Greetings Time Exposure,
    I wasn't being rude to XJR. I was just trying to structure, clarify if you will, the inquiry I started. I do appreciate all and every response, so thank you again to all of you who have taken the time to respond. I was just simply stating, that I didn't want opinions regarding the stain and whether anyone thought I could get it out. If I can ascertain a clear success rate of cleaning an Omega Dynamic Dial, then I will proceed with doing so and find out on my own if the stain is on the surface or permanent. The opposite hold true as well. If everyone here shares your sentiments regarding this process then I will trust in the experts on this forum and decline trying to clean the dial. So I appreciate your response, where you're clearly stating no, you have never successfully cleaned a dial without further damaging it. That is the response I'm trying to extract here. Not trying to force any answer, other than an individuals experience with cleaning, specifically Omega Dynamic, dials.

Thank you again and have a great weekend!

Best,

BW Schimke

10. Willard Dynamic Jan 9, 2015

How about another question, since so far 5 people have said cleaning isn't an option. Does any one know the interchangeability of first production Omega dials? Now this may sound stupid, or naïve, but bear with me please.
    I found a NOS Grand Prix dial for a Cal. 552 and it's reasonably priced. Now, I understand this dial doesn't display the day/date but would it fit and work in my Cal. 752 watch? Again I know my day/date would be covered but I could live with that until I found the right dial or maybe I could have the day/date window cut into it? Let me know your thoughts on that.
    Thanks,

BW Schimke

11. TNTwatch Jan 9, 2015

I think that all the responses here are to the point on your original question and it's you clarification that is muddy. But that should not be a big deal and the watch as is is nice enough to be enjoyable.

Have a nice weekend yourself too!