Omega De Ville

Hi
I know that I already have a thread open about my wifes Omega, but in the meantime I am looking into buying another Omega watch and I was hoping that somebody could give me a little more information about it. I have been doing my own research but like on my wifes Omega seem to be getting nowhere, an hour on the Omega Vintage watch database trying to match up images has proved to be nothing more than a brainfrizz!

This is the De Ville watch:
omegadeville.jpg

The clasp is marked Omega and stamped 355 (tests as 18ct) 102g approx including movement. Its in great condition and I'd like to add it to my collection so any information would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance

You really make it hard lol

The case looks like a C-shape Constellation externally but the dial area is more TV-shaped. Not sure I've seen that before ever.

Wow, thanks Ashley - I also found the one you found at Roseberys but when you directly compare the two they are quite different so I ruled that one out. The one at Byrnesauctioneers is a very interesting find, it so close is so many ways but the obvious difference is that its a round dial. I'm going to have another hunt now based on the new info you have kindly provided. I know that not being able to find anything on a particular watch is no guarantee of rarity but its a nice tidy watch that I'd love to have in my collection (fingers crossed) and if it does turn out to be a little rare then great!

If you don't find out what it is, I'd like to name it "The Golden Egg"

For obvious reasons 😁

BTW what are these bracelets like? They look so thin and delicate, are they easily kinkable?

One things that keeps crossing my mind is that it has a number of elements of the Constellations but it is marked a De Ville? They produced a Seamaster De Ville in 1974 (C 6865) from the US Collection. I wonder if they did the same and did a Constellation De Ville? 👎

One things that keeps crossing my mind is that it has a number of elements of the Constellations but it is marked a De Ville? They produced a Seamaster De Ville in 1974 (C 6865) from the US Collection. I wonder if they did the same and did a Constellation De Ville? 👎

The C-Case is just screaming Constellation, but then TV dials were a feature of the De Villes in the 70s and the Constellation was sort of on its tail end by then. It really is in that transitional era where they were making so many different pieces combining different parts. The other thing that stands out is the finishing of the gold, Rolex made Day-Dates in bark finish and also in a scored type finish similar to this Omega around the same time, there's a term for it, just don't remember what it was off the top of my head.

I came across a website with old Omega catalogues and thought I found the watch (see pic). However on very close inspection the case 'lugs'? are shaped slighly differently at the ends. Also this watch is 9k whilst the one in my photo tests as 18k . The catalogue I'm referring to is here: http://www.old-omegas.com/catuk72.html page 10. Its the UK Omega Catalogue from 1972. I looked at all the others catalogues before and after and nothing else is as close. So.... could it be a special edition? an amalgam of old left over Omega Parts?
omega-comparison.jpg

I came across a website with old Omega catalogues and thought I found the watch (see pic). However on very close inspection the case 'lugs'? are shaped slighly differently at the ends. Also this watch is 9k whilst the one in my photo tests as 18k . The catalogue I'm referring to is here: http://www.old-omegas.com/catuk72.html page 10. Its the UK Omega Catalogue from 1972. I looked at all the others catalogues before and after and nothing else is as close. So.... could it be a special edition? an amalgam of old left over Omega Parts?
omega-comparison.jpg

There's another thought that struck me, when they said it tests as 18k, did the bracelet test 18k, or the case, or both? What if that bracelet isn't original to the watch, because looking at it, I think the difference in the lugs is just down to the fact that the bracelet in the picture you found fits lower and differently from the original picture.

And in the bracelet of the original watch you found, notice how the grain of the 18k bracelet goes one way up until it nears the watch case, then the grain goes from being fine to being course, like the finishing on the watch case, as if its been blended to match the case?

I know that the bracelet definately tests as 18k and I'm guessing that as the bark effect matches the case then that without knowing for sure, its should also be the same - I do see what you mean abut the pattern on the bracelet, but I can't see anyone going to the length of deliberately blending the strap. On a Patek or Vacheron high-end watch maybe, but not on an Omega.

Going back to the Lugs, if you look at the watch in the catalogue the end of the lugs are at a different angle to the 'Golden egg' - I have highlighted this on the attached image - it may be a trick of the light but they do look different to me?
lug-angle.jpg

This is a higher res pic - the lugs do show a shallower angle at the point than the first picture I uploaded but not as pronounced as the one in the catalogue. It could very well be the same watch with slight variations due to whatever material is used. If? it is the same watch then I just need to get the reference number and I'll be in a position to find out exactly what it is 😀
bigomega.jpg

Yes, this is an English cased De Ville and you most likely will not find it under this model number on the OVDB. It probably has a calibre 711 under the dial, the case was made by Dennison and the case back number will probably read 162.5054, as these watches would have most likely been accessorised at point of sale. There's roughly around two ounces + of gold in case and bracelet. There should be English hallmarks under the bracelet clasp as well as on the inner case back.

Ther 711's were the non-chronometer version of the ultra-thin, which is only 3mm high. The De Ville, at the time, was the secondary range to the Constellation ultrathins, an essay about which is here.

I think its important for you to ask to see movement and inner caseback on these dress watches, as they were no near as well insulated (because they were worn as evening wear) as mainline Omega collections. Hence moisture incursion could allow rust of the stainless steel parts of the watch.

Cheers

Desmond

That's interesting, I didn't know Dennison were making cases for Omega in the 70s, but I've got an old Rolex pocket watch sold in Australia by Dunklings in the 1930s with a Dennison made gold-filled case. Are they still around these days?

I think OMega UK commissioned British casemakers until Nixon removed the gold standard from the dollar durting the monetary crisis in the 70s, which I think was in the first half of that decade. So I'd imagine the De Ville was still a UK cased model (could be wrong of course) but those numbers indicate to me a national production watch and not an Omega commissioned case. I think Dennison went out of business not long after the gold standard was removed.

Cheers

Desmond

That's interesting, I didn't know Dennison were making cases for Omega in the 70s, but I've got an old Rolex pocket watch sold in Australia by Dunklings in the 1930s with a Dennison made gold-filled case. Are they still around these days?

Thanks Ashley and Desmond. The watch according to the owner was virtually unworn, still working fine. The Strap is 18k and the case probably 9k - simply dod you think it would be addition to my collection?

I really think you have to resolve the issue of the case - gold content, movement and case number before its possible to make an informed choice. If the case is only 9k, then that will have an effect on price. Also, check out the dimensions of the watch. I suspect that the width will be around 33mm and so it may look small on, say, a 7.5 inch wrist.

It certainly is a nice lookinig piece and armed with the above information you will be better able to tell if you are getting value for money.

Cheers

Desmond

Thanks Ashley and Desmond. The watch according to the owner was virtually unworn, still working fine. The Strap is 18k and the case probably 9k - simply dod you think it would be addition to my collection?