Omega Constellation... Rare bird or dial swap ?

Hello OF,

Saw this one offered at auction today...

Announced as a 166.052 / 168.033 with a cal 1011 from the auction house, no pics of the caseback nor the movement...

The blue caseback makes me think of a (possible) NOS case, completed after with a movement / dial from a C-Case 168.0056...

Hammered for quite a chunk of money. What do you think about it ?

I must admit that I find the combination very desirable.

Are there any other photos from the auction? To the best of my knowledge, the dial has been repainted.

@ConElPueblo
That didn't even crossed my mind... To my eye, it looks quite the same than the C-Case ones... What are the hints that you can discern?

Unfortunately no other pictures, these are the only ones that were published...

Are there any other photos from the auction? To the best of my knowledge, the dial has been repainted.

...it's blue?

So, had a look at both the reported case references...no blue dial for the 166052, but for the 168033, there's this:

DIAL BLUE 11GR+WHT IND.AO C.1011 CST
REF : 064TB1646004
APPLIQUE : Stick
BACKGROUND COLOUR : Blue
Caliber : 1011
COLLECTION : Constellation
COLOR TRACES : White
DIAL DIAMETER : 27.50 MM

No photo of the dial available, but given the description, I wouldn't be 100% confident in saying this is a repainted dial, simply because it's blue.

Cheers, Al

So, had a look at both the reported case references...no blue dial for the 166052, but for the 168033, there's this:

DIAL BLUE 11GR+WHT IND.AO C.1011 CST
REF : 064TB1646004
APPLIQUE : Stick
BACKGROUND COLOUR : Blue
Caliber : 1011
COLLECTION : Constellation
COLOR TRACES : White
DIAL DIAMETER : 27.50 MM

No photo of the dial available, but given the description, I wouldn't be 100% confident in saying this is a repainted dial, simply because it's blue.

Cheers, Al

Thanks for the information - I may have to give up my shorthand dismissal...

I Google Image'd a bit after this and found this type of blue dial (I couldn't tell with certainty that it was the exact same type, but I would say it probably is) used on at least three different Constellations; the one in this thread being the only one of this reference which is a bit odd.

769367-0b97f0733908717d9bcccdb572047ba2.jpg
https://omegaforums.net/threads/sol...-shape-blue-metorite-dial-£475-shipped.95589/

@Archer

Thanks a lot for those informations...

@ConElPueblo

Yeah, that was the

dial from a C-Case 168.0056...

part. Sorry I should have posted a pic of one of those, I just thought that you were being sarcastic.

And forgive me to insist, but the fonts looks correct to me, and the script looks too nice for a redial... I'd be happy to be corrected though, always happy to learn 👍

Only one of this reference, haven't seen other blue C-cases without tritium like this one, and some odd details like this pointy "A" of Automatic... That's why this example raised my eyebrows.

Thanks for the information - I may have to give up my shorthand dismissal...

I Google Image'd a bit after this and found this type of blue dial (I couldn't tell with certainty that it was the exact same type, but I would say it probably is) used on at least three different Constellations; the one in this thread being the only one of this reference which is a bit odd.

769367-0b97f0733908717d9bcccdb572047ba2.jpg
https://omegaforums.net/threads/sold-omega-constellation-c-shape-blue-metorite-dial-£475-shipped.95589/

I’ve seen a few of these, but never in a blue as bright as the OPs watch. My initial thought went to the last design phase C-shapes, too - maybe @kaplan can shed some light on this?

I’ve seen a few of these, but never in a blue as bright as the OPs watch. My initial thought went to the last design phase C-shapes, too - maybe @kaplan can shed some light on this?

I can find clearer examples online in the reference that has an integrated bracelet.

I can find clearer examples online in the reference that has an integrated bracelet.

You’re right, I think. One more major point that @Servius mentioned is the pointy Automatic-A. Can’t find a single example of the last design phase C-Shapes that has it - yet, as you mentioned, some of integrated bracelet ones (168.045 etc) do.

I’d say it’s unlikely to come out of a C-Shape - no idea though if it started live in this exact watch. If there are other 168.033 with a pointy A, regardless of the color of the dial, I’m inclined to believe it might be correct.