Forums Latest Members

Mark III Content: Mistake in Extract or Dial and Bezel Swap?

1. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Sep 27, 2016

I have a few extracts for the vintage Omega watches I own. My Ploprof was delivered in Belize in 1972, and My Ed White was delivered in 1967 to Mexico. It is pretty exciting to have these extracts as part of the history of the watch.

Yesterday I received the extract for my Mark III. I was very excited to learn that it was delivered in 1972 to the United States.

I was also shocked to see that Omega listed it as a "Dial: Black with luminous indexes"

Not sure what to think at this point. The dial does not look like a service replacement, at least not a recent replacement (last two decades). The dial and bezel could have been replaced really early in the life of this watch, but not really sure somebody would go through that trouble back in that time. Or if this is a mistake on Omegas end?

Anyone run across a similar situation?

upload_2016-9-27_7-42-59.png

upload_2016-9-27_7-42-32.png

ahartfie likes this.
  2. incabloc Sep 27, 2016

as your MKIII has a non prof. dial and the "old" minute hand, I think these are original to this watch.

westmtn, alexantonio27 and Taddyangle like this.
  3. flyingout Sep 27, 2016

I was about to ask if "Professional" on the extract might also be considered a misnomer? But a quick glance in AJTT has the non-prof dial version labeled as Speedmaster Professional. I guess there was a bit of indecision as to how much text to add to the first automatic chronograph.

Taddyangle likes this.
  4. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Sep 27, 2016

All good points.

The initial release of this watch had a dial that did not have the Professional text and the minute hand was pointed. The second revision has the Professional text and the non-pointed hand, as pointed out by Patrick. I am not sure on how much time passed between the first and second releases of this watch.

5. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Sep 27, 2016

This Speedy Tuesday article about the Mark III discusses a 176.002 with a Professional dial. In the article, the extract is mentioned and production was said to be June of 72. Unfortunately the extract isn't pictured so we don't know if the extract says "Professional" or not. So as usual with the history of these watches, this just further muddies the water.

Here are some other extracts I have gleaned from online for 176.002 (unfortunately I don't have pics of the dials currently installed):
    31641143.jpg 34247598.jpg SN blocked 002.jpg

Let's put these watches in chronological order:
    1st extract - unknown dial, made in Feb 1972, extract says Professional and dial unknown
    Speedy Tuesday watch - professional dial, made in June of 72 - not sure if extract says Professional or if it says anything about the dial
    Your watch - the supposedly earlier non-pro dial, made two months later in August of 72 - extract says Professional, black dial
    3rd extract - unknown dial, made January 1973- extract says black dial, doesn't mention Professional
    2nd extract - unknown dial, made December 1973, extract mentions Blue dial but doesn't mention Professional.

A few thoughts:
    -The older style extracts are the ones that don't say Professional. Maybe this part of the form is filled out with stock or canned language which was changed at some point?
    -Maybe we have the narrative backwards and the Professional dials actually came first?
    -Maybe the pro and non-pro dials always co-existed?

Anyway, AJTT and the museum are known to have conflicting info sometimes so I wouldn't sweat it. My gut feeling is that your dial is original and the archives contain some errors.:thumbsup:

Taddyangle likes this.
  6. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Dec 21, 2017

Does anyone know who I should contact at Omega Switzerland to see about looking into the extract? I strongly believe the extract for my watch should state blue dial.

Otherwise a waste of $150.