Forums Latest Members
  1. Norbertscorpa Feb 8, 2020

Hi there.

I'm new to this forum, I'm looking for a bit of direction really. I'm looking to buy my dad a watch he has always talked about wanting since he was a kid and as it's his 60th this year would love to be able to get it for him.

However I know there are lots of fakes about and I'm not to sure on what year is what and also the different types of the same watch.

So I am looking for an omega constellation pie pan but gold.

Bow I know they do them in steel steel and gold gold etc, 14k 18k I want a solid gold one ideally is it only the 18k that are solid gold and is the 14k plated?

If this isn't the best place to ask about these and there may be a better forum elsewhere or a different page some direction would be ideal.

Oh and average prices on watches and where to buy them would be a great help too. I have seen some at reasonable prices online so I'm hoping they will be affordable.

Thanks in advance Rob

2. Dan S Feb 8, 2020

Keep an eye on the Private Sales listings in the forum, and send a private message if you want to buy one. You may also want to consider gold-capped cases in addition to solid gold. It's not the same as plated. They have a very thick gold layer and hold up well (as opposed to gold-plated/filled where the coating often wears away), and the base metal is stainless steel. Very high quality, less expensive than solid gold, and it will expand your options.You can tell if the case is gold-capped because the underside of the lugs will be steel. On gold-plated or gold-filled cases, the underside of the lugs is also plated in gold, and the underlying base metal is not steel, it's a cheap base metal alloy. On gold-plated/gold-filled/gold-capped cases, the case-back is often stainless steel. Solid gold cases usually have gold backs.

If a case is gold plated or gold filled, it will say so explicitly on the case (or language indicating that there is a gold coating, like 20 microns etc.). If it only says 14k or 18k, that generally indicates that it's solid metal. There may also be a hallmark of course.

Edited Feb 8, 2020
  3. Vitezi Feb 8, 2020

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    The best place to go to learn about vintage Omega Constellations is this website here:

https://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/

That website is a collection of Desmond Guilfoyle's wonderful essays on the model line, from its beginnings in the 1950s through to the 1980s. It can be a little confusing to figure out where to start, so here are two essays for you:

How to collect Constellations: http://users.tpg.com.au/mondodec//About_Collecting_Omega_Constellations.pdf
    All about Gold Constellations: http://users.tpg.com.au/mondodec//goldomegas1.pdf

Once you absorb those, the rest of his website is filled with musings on all things Constellation. You can read about the movements, the designs, the history, the case types, how to spot fake Connies, and so on.

https://omega-constellation-collect...n-earth-would-you-buy_115322299861451780.html
    https://omega-constellation-collect.../06/what-makes-omega-chronometer-special.html
    https://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-first-omega-constellation.html

There are also many threads on Gold Connies on this forum for you to read. Use the Search tool on the top right.

Then, as @Dan S advises, keep en eye out for watch sales on Omega Forums. When you find a watch that looks good, don't be afraid to ask collectors for their opinions.

4. NVWC Feb 8, 2020

Hi Rob,

Are you looking for something like this?

Edited by a mod Jun 1, 2023
  5. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 9, 2020

Welcome @Norbertscorpa
    A very nice thought as a gift for your father.

Good advice given above.

I’ll just add that you have to be careful when buying gold Connies.
    Firstly, there are quite a few fakes out there and they come up all too frequently.
    Secondly, as gold is relatively soft, many gold Connies have been over polished and have lost their collectors’ value but are still being sold at collectors’ prices.

pie pans are generally the most desirable of Connies but they come in a number of case styles - some command higher prices than others.

there are also none-Swiss cased gold Connies, which, even though some are of equal quality (e.g. French and English cases) should not command the same price.
    You should budget around £3,000 for a decent 18k Connie.

the most important piece of advice would be take your time and learn as much as you can before you buy.

hope that helps.

Edward53 likes this.
  6. Norbertscorpa Feb 9, 2020

Hi gents
    Thanks very much for the reply. I will have a good read through all the following links and try and educate myself a lot more before I buy anything and I will have a browse through the for sales on here see if there is much about.
    I'm sure i will be back very soon with some more questions.
    But thanks very much for the replies so far!

7. Norbertscorpa Feb 9, 2020

I actually cant see what the link is I try to follow it but takes me to ebay and just says there is a problem? Not sure if its sold could you post up a picture or anything?

Edited by a mod Jun 1, 2023
  8. NVWC Feb 9, 2020

Hi Rob,

It was suppose to look like this.
    But I guess it was sold Screenshot_20200209-173603_Samsung Internet.jpg

9. Norbertscorpa Feb 9, 2020

Hi
    Yes thanks very good advice I wouldn't ever be purchasing something without being sure on it so I will probably be asking lots on here about certain ones before i make a purchase.
    It's a worry that some of the copies are so good and a worry that they are hard to tell apart even more so without seeing them.
    Yes I do worry about that with gold watches and especially of this age. It's kind if hard because i dont want to ask him about it so it's more of a surprise but hes always talked about a gold one so i know a steel watch would be better for practicality just getting the right one.
    Could you expand on the different case styles? What differences they are is it just the years as they went on they changed or were there different options available?

10. Norbertscorpa Feb 9, 2020

Hi yes that's something like what im going for. I was goingnto try upload a picture if what I really wanted so I could get some ideas of what year or type it was but I couldn't figure out how to ‍♂️.
    Anyway I believe I may have looked at this watch but I was a little unsure. The case to me looks very well made almost precision made on a machine with very flat and angular faces. It just didn't seem as rounded and smooth as previous ones I have seen so I really wasnt sure what the deal was with that.

11. Zdzislaw Feb 9, 2020

Hello there, some very good advices above. When you will find something interesting in some auction post a thread with some good quality pictures and try to find out what is off with the watch. Share your concerns and I am sure that OF will help you! :thumbsup: