Omega Constellation Pie Pan Dial from 1966

Hi! Posting here for the first time and also trying to get into grips with the plethora of data available here as well on the internet as a whole regarding watches. Recently I found out about my grandfather's old Omega watch and while he does not remember much about it, there is a certificate in the box stating the year 1966 ,so am assuming that is the manufacturing year I am trying to find out the exact model that the watch is. Based on the data I referred to I feel this may be a 168.010. Would appreciate any help /views on the same! Thanks in advance!
Also the movement number according to the certificate is - 24 xxx xxxx
Note - I don't want to try removing the back case as I have never done it before and don't want to damage the watch☺IMG-20201009-WA0011.jpg IMG-20201009-WA0010.jpg IMG-20201009-WA0009.jpg IMG-20201009-WA0007.jpg IMG-20201009-WA0008.jpg IMG-20201009-WA0006.jpg IMG-20201009-WA0005.jpg
Edited:

Like 23
Lovely looking watch is superb condition, movement number matches to date. Looks like treasured example.

Hope it is a keeper for you.

Tom

Like 1
Your grandfather has class. Give the old guy an appreciative nod from me when you see him next time :thumbsup:

Like 6
Very nice.
Commonly known as a dogleg case with pie pan dial (in this case a solid gold dial. )
Not too many of these around and very desirable.
great condition.
make sure no one ever polishes that case.

Like 2
It is a beautiful watch. If you can, you might want to ask your grandfather when it was last serviced, as it may very well be time. If it does need service, you might want to reach out to forum members to find a watchmaker who will service without polishing or otherwise compromising any of this watch's originality.

Be patient before doing anything with that watch (including wearing it). Keep studying up (the resources referenced by @Noddyman should keep you busy a while).

Feel free to ask on the forum before you act; I am consistently impressed at the level of knowlege and willingness to help exhibited by the members here. You most often can't undo a bad decision, so again I counsel: Be patient.

Like 3
Be patient before doing anything with that watch

Wiser words were never spoken. I would go very slowly and carefully and if there's any doubts then do nothing. Heck I could be perfectly well entertained for quite a long time by just looking at the thing sitting it it's box. It doesn't necessarily HAVE to be running and on the wrist. :D

Like 1
If that is a white 18K gold case (I’ve learned not to trust color correction on web photos), it’s incredibly uncommon. Maybe one of these for every 100 yellow gold versions.

I’m not sure if the dial is 18K gold (167.006) or standard steel with rhodium plated indices (167.005). The case back may not help, as some are engraved 167.005/6, which means it could be either.

When you have it serviced, have the watchmaker take a picture of the back of the dial. There will be a hallmark there if the dial is solid gold.

That is one gorgeous watch!
gatorcpa

Like 4
If that is a white 18K gold case (I’ve learned not to trust color correction on web photos), it’s incredibly uncommon. Maybe one of these for every 100 yellow gold versions.

I’m not sure if the dial is 18K gold (167.006) or standard steel with rhodium plated indices (167.005). The case back may not help, as some are engraved 167.005/6, which means it could be either.

When you have it serviced, have the watchmaker take a picture of the back of the dial. There will be a hallmark there if the dial is solid gold.

That is one gorgeous watch!
gatorcpa

Would a gold dial be marked OM in this era?

Would a gold dial be marked OM in this era?
Maybe. I think the “OM” dials were just a bit later.
gatorcpa

Like 2
Your grandfather has class. Give the old guy an appreciative nod from me when you see him next time :thumbsup:
Will do☺

It is a beautiful watch. If you can, you might want to ask your grandfather when it was last serviced, as it may very well be time. If it does need service, you might want to reach out to forum members to find a watchmaker who will service without polishing or otherwise compromising any of this watch's originality.
I don't think it has ever been serviced.
However it is keeping time reasonably well, please give your opinion if a service is required.

I don't think it has ever been serviced.
However it is keeping time reasonably well, please give your opinion if a service is required.
YES, a 54 yr old watch should definitely be serviced before running it. don't take it to a local battery swapper at the mall... find someone who will be careful with that beauty.

Like 2
The large onyx inserts mean 18k dial.
OM will come later, not on this model.