Forums Latest Members
  1. sliceoftime_ Jan 22, 2015

Thanks TNTwatch and others for you thoughts.

I will take the time to decide and will tell you guys what I decided. For now I think I'm leaning towards the purchase due to it being my first pie pan. Will post pictures if I do!

FYI, he said he's letting this go because he got this.

[​IMG]

Quite a beauty, with the c564.

2. peatnick Jan 22, 2015

Guess your seller is an enthusiast, which makes this even stranger

Still as others have noted, its not a bad deal, just make sure you use paypal and write the terms of a return for full refund if the movement doesn't check out . . .

Look forward to your pictures should you decide to proceed!

3. TNTwatch Jan 22, 2015

Yes, quite a beauty, even though it's more heavily oxidized than the other one. That's the beauty of patina! Good luck whichever way you choose.

4. sliceoftime_ Jan 22, 2015

Quick update he provided me with these pictures. Managed to talk him into sending the movement pictures first. [emoji2]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The movement seems nice and clean.
    Looked up 149.0062 on the Omega Vintage Database but nothing was found.

Looks good to me, just need to confirm the database for the number inside the caseback. Any help?

FYI, I just got into vintage watches a month ago, so this pie-pan is very enticing to own for me as I heard its rare to have it on the 551 movement.

5. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! Jan 22, 2015

it's a 14900, the 62 refers to the year I think

6. sliceoftime_ Jan 22, 2015

Thanks Lessismore.

So I went on and search and got this.

Constellation
    Gents' leather strap
    Reference
    CK 14900
    International collection
    Movement
    Type: Automatic chronometer certified
    Caliber number: 551
    Created in 1958
    24 jewels
    Central sweep-second hand
    Case
    Stainless steel
    Case back
    Screw-in
    Dial
    "pie-pan" type, luminous (radium), with hand-rivetted gold hour markers and gold "Dauphine".
    Crystal
    Armoured hesalite
    Bracelet
    Leather
    Water resistance
    30 meters

So it actually does not have a bracelet with the original, but everything else looks in order.

7. TNTwatch Jan 22, 2015

Movement looks great, seems like never been serviced so get it serviced properly and you can enjoy it for a long time.

8. sliceoftime_ Jan 23, 2015

That sounds great!

Just one thing left, I was browsing yesterday and went this web.

http://www.kalmarantiques.com.au/how-to-spot-copy-omega-constellaton-watch.aspx

From the web it says the text of "Constellation" is fake on the dial, due to the curved "n". Is this true?

9. TNTwatch Jan 23, 2015

No shite! Left one is a bad redial with the wrong font type, right one is fake. The one in consideration here is original.

If you're not in a hurry, try to look around for more info and ask more questions about the one you're buying. The best site for Constellation is this: http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com

Edited Jan 23, 2015
  10. sliceoftime_ Jan 23, 2015

Ah thank you for the info, was kinda confused as which is which, and relieve that mine is original.

The watch hasn't been serviced for a while, he bought it in 2011 and hasn't serviced but its still working great. The crown is original, however the crystal is not.

Not sure which questions that I can ask to the seller? Is there some areas I might have missed to ask to the seller?

11. TNTwatch Jan 23, 2015

I meant when you have more knowledge about what you're buying, you'll know more to ask about it, here or to the seller, for example: the font type on the dial or anything else to make sure you'll buy the right one. You can check the link I added above.

Not only hasn't the watch been serviced since 2011, I think it's never been serviced before as there are no scratches on the movement screws and no service scribe marks that are usually seen on the caseback for old watches like this. It may be running but it's running dry and won't last long.

12. sliceoftime_ Jan 23, 2015

Ahh, okay thank you for the link, seems like a good read. Thanks TNTwatch you have been ever so helpful.

Wow a watch from 1960's without ever having been serviced sounds pretty uncommon. I think I should service it as soon as I get it.

13. Mothra Jan 23, 2015

:)
    We think you should service as soon as you get it too...

Make sure your watchmaker understands the usual rules. No polishing, no new hands or crown, no reluming and absolutely no repainting.

NT931 likes this.
  14. Geo! Jan 23, 2015

I'd still buy it!

15. sliceoftime_ Jan 23, 2015

Gatorcpa,

Just curious, do you mind linking to the thread you stated of the example that exchanged hands?

Just an update, had a chat with the guy, pretty nice fellow, and made the purchase, watch should arrive tomorrow!

16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 23, 2015

17. sliceoftime_ Jan 23, 2015

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 23, 2015

I wouldn't consider the relative movements rarer or anything, 551s are IMO more desirable due to their more pick up and wear nature being non-date.

Darlinboy likes this.
  19. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 24, 2015

There is no question that the non-date versions of these watches are rarer, by definition. Fewer were made, as I suspect that people who were spending that kind of money on a top of the line Omega wanted all the bells and whistles, including a calendar.

I agree that the purer design of the cal. 551 means a bit more popularity today.

gatorcpa

20. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 24, 2015

Gratuitous photo...
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422119829.609384.jpg

sryukon, sliceoftime_ and boat2dan like this.