Omega Constellation Pie Pan - 14K

Posts
7
Likes
0
I’ve just bought this watch at what I believe is a very good price (£1500). It was sold as 14k 34 omega constellation pie pan calibre 561.

On looking into the details, I’ve now noticed it is most likely a redial. I’m not greatly clued up on this but looking at different posts in 75% sure it is.

I’m just wondering now if the rest of the watch is real and not just the dial or if it’s just a redial-dial.

Anyone who knows a bit more about the pie pans have any thoughts?

Also, if it is a re-dial is there a way to get a genuine replacement through omega?

 
Posts
3,574
Likes
13,517
You’re correct, it’s a redial. A replacement by Omega would still be a service dial and noticeably different to the original. It’ll also be ~700€ if I remember correctly.

The case is also heavily polished.

However, you paid something relatively close to gold value + parts value. Not really worth restoring, but also not really a money grave.
 
Posts
106
Likes
110
You’re correct, it’s a redial. A replacement by Omega would still be a service dial and noticeably different to the original. It’ll also be ~700€ if I remember correctly.

The case is also heavily polished.

However, you paid something relatively close to gold value + parts value. Not really worth restoring, but also not really a money grave.
Out of curiosity do we have pictures of recent service dials anywhere on the forums?
 
Posts
13,623
Likes
18,975
I don’t think it’s a redial, I think it’s a fake dial. The crown is not correct (too thick), the case is very heavily polished to the point where I’m concerned whether it is fake also.

I would consider a return if possible.

Omega no longer has replacement dials for these, but I have seen them on eBay at exorbitant prices. Beware of fakes there also.
gatorcpa
 
Posts
7
Likes
0
I don’t think it’s a redial, I think it’s a fake dial. The crown is not correct (too thick), the case is very heavily polished to the point where I’m concerned whether it is fake also.

I would consider a return if possible.

Omega no longer has replacement dials for these, but I have seen them on eBay at exorbitant prices. Beware of fakes there also.
gatorcpa
Thanks for pointing this out, what do you thinkt he original crown should be? This one is approx. 2.5mm in depth which i think is ref.2419 which looking into is from the earlier 1950s model? Ref. https://omega-constellation-collect.../01/omega-constellation-crowning-glories.html

It is currently going through Ebay Authenticity programme so will see if it gets approved with the aftermarket dial.
 
Posts
6,762
Likes
10,416
The correct (standard) crown for late 50s lyre lugs and doglegs should be the slimmer decagonal crown, 4204.
From Desmond's blog that you linked to:
 
Posts
6,762
Likes
10,416
I’ve just bought this watch at what I believe is a very good price (£1500). It was sold as 14k 34 omega constellation pie pan calibre 561.

On looking into the details, I’ve now noticed it is most likely a redial. I’m not greatly clued up on this but looking at different posts in 75% sure it is.

I’m just wondering now if the rest of the watch is real and not just the dial or if it’s just a redial-dial.

Anyone who knows a bit more about the pie pans have any thoughts?

Also, if it is a re-dial is there a way to get a genuine replacement through omega?
Do you have any other images of the watches - e.g. the movt or inner case back- and preferably any that are in focus?

I don’t think it’s a redial, I think it’s a fake dial. The crown is not correct (too thick), the case is very heavily polished to the point where I’m concerned whether it is fake also.
The 'constellation' script on the dial certainly looks like the classic fake dial style.
Unfortunately, its impossible to assess the upper text.

The (heavily polished) case is quite convincing but I don't think I've ever seen Omega release a gold case with the hallmark on the edge of the lug like this
 
Posts
7
Likes
0
The correct (standard) crown for late 50s lyre lugs and doglegs should be the slimmer decagonal crown, 4204.
From Desmond's blog that you linked to:
Thanks for this, so either its an aftermarket crown or the tube and crown has been replaced with the 4219. Are these crowns solid gold or gold capped?
 
Posts
6,762
Likes
10,416
I think they were originally gold capped but modern ones were gold plated.
 
Posts
7
Likes
0
I don’t think it’s a redial, I think it’s a fake dial. The crown is not correct (too thick), the case is very heavily polished to the point where I’m concerned whether it is fake also.

I would consider a return if possible.

Omega no longer has replacement dials for these, but I have seen them on eBay at exorbitant prices. Beware of fakes there also.
gatorcpa
I’ve found one that looks exactly the same up for sale on vinted. What do you reckon? Is it refinished or completely fake? Mine has just passed eBay authenticity…so will take better photos when arrived

 
Posts
6,762
Likes
10,416
I’ve found one that looks exactly the same up for sale on vinted. What do you reckon? Is it refinished or completely fake? Mine has just passed eBay authenticity…so will take better photos when arrived



Fake
 
Posts
6,762
Likes
10,416
Mine has just passed eBay authenticity…so will take better photos when arrived

It has to make you wonder exactly what they are looking at.
Hopefully the case is a real 14k Omega case.
 
Posts
13,623
Likes
18,975
Mine has just passed eBay authenticity
There is the problem with eBay’s “authenticity” program. If someone knows about these, they know. Otherwise, how would they know? No one can be an expert on all the different watches ever made.

Regarding both of the above dials, I suggest your read this:

https://download1479.mediafire.com/...0mb/Counterfeit_Omega_Constellation_Cases.pdf

You have not given us enough information as to whether the case or movement are genuine or not. Since the watch has cleared eBay’s protocols, you are in a tough spot. You cannot open the watch to examine it further, as that would void their guarantee and you may not be able to return it later.

Not sure how to advise you on this, except to open a case for return based on misrepresentation once the watch is received. However, you’ll have an uphill climb on this claim, as it did pass their “expert’s” examination.

gatorcpa
 
Posts
240
Likes
693
I’ve found one that looks exactly the same up for sale on vinted. What do you reckon? Is it refinished or completely fake? Mine has just passed eBay authenticity…so will take better photos when arrived


Ah, that is a very misaligned cross-hair.

I think doing some more research on what to look for in legitimate Constellation could certainly be helpful for your next purchase (and would recommend slowing down, in general, and asking for help before buying)

I know this is an exciting hobby and that it often feels like there's only 'a few good ones' left (deal-wise or condition-wise) when it comes to vintage - but it's easy to get taken for a ride if you don't pause and carefully examine things.
 
Posts
3,574
Likes
13,517
Ah, that is a very misaligned cross-hair.
That’s a very misaligned everything. Font, serifs, text size, dial brushing, I mean literally every single detail is off.
 
Posts
10,745
Likes
16,730
A very quick take from both dials shown above is that they both have T marks either side of Swiss Made yet neither actually have any tritium on the dial. This is an immediate and easy to spot red flag. When this occurs, consider everything suspect.
Edited:
 
Posts
7
Likes
0
I’ve received the watch now and have inspected it. From what I can see everything except the dial and crown looks original. The crystal has the omega logo, the movement looks genuine based on the images I’ve seen online (Although looks like it may need a service.) The hallmarks on the back of the case and lugs all match what I believe they should.

I’m very new to this so if anyone can see anything more then this please let me know.

Thanks

 
IMG_0055.mov - 34.1 MB
Posts
7
Likes
0
It has to make you wonder exactly what they are looking at.
Hopefully the case is a real 14k Omega case.
Just received it and I think it is 👌
 
Posts
6,762
Likes
10,416
Just received it and I think it is 👌
I have one of a very similar age (serial 23,9m) and your case back looks pretty much identical to mine - so, IMHO it is genuine 👍 and I can only imagine that:
a) the dial was a dome dial and the seller thought that a pie pan would bring a better price, or;
b) the watch had a dial that was toast and as above the seller thought that a new (albeit fake) pie pan dial would bring a better price.

I'm not entirely convinced about the crystal - it's a more modern version than the original ( the original Omega symbol on the crystal was slimmer and more upright) or it may be just a poor 'stamping' of the modern Omega symbol - or it possibly may have arrived with the dodgy dial.

I see that the movt has the OXG designation for something that was originally shipped to the States.
 
Posts
7
Likes
0
I have one of a very similar age (serial 23,9m) and your case back looks pretty much identical to mine - so, IMHO it is genuine 👍 and I can only imagine that:
a) the dial was a dome dial and the seller thought that a pie pan would bring a better price, or;
b) the watch had a dial that was toast and as above the seller thought that a new (albeit fake) pie pan dial would bring a better price.

I'm not entirely convinced about the crystal - it's a more modern version than the original ( the original Omega symbol on the crystal was slimmer and more upright) or it may be just a poor 'stamping' of the modern Omega symbol - or it possibly may have arrived with the dodgy dial.

I see that the movt has the OXG designation for something that was originally shipped to the States.
Brilliant, thanks, yes that would make sense and means the movement and case are probably all genuine as omega made the 14k solid gold cases to import into the US.