Forums Latest Members
  1. alecuncu Aug 29, 2019

Hello everyone,

I just bought my first vintage watch, but already spotted a possible second one. However, I know there are a lot of Frankenconnie's out there and I'm not confident enough yet to buy one without your help.

Reference 14393 5 SC, cal. 561 --> bonus: beads of rice bracelet ref. 1016. Seller is asking EUR 1600.

I compared it as best I could to the one from this thread:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/bou...1-and-questioning-purchase-please-help.70615/

It seems to match pretty well. All original, except for one thing...the cap. The seller explained that this ones cap was replaced with the cap of a 14902 61 SC at some point, because the original was in bad shape.

If the rest is all original, I can definitely live with this fact. Anything that seems wrong? pie pan 3.jpeg pie pan 2.jpeg pie pan 5.jpeg pie pan 4.jpeg Pie pan 1.jpeg

Edited Aug 29, 2019
  2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 29, 2019

Spotted -- great choice of words :D

The dial corrosion is a deal-killer for me. Movement is dirty and looks like rotor has been rubbing on the caseback. Medallion is heavily polished (but since caseback is not correct, really doesn't matter).

The shallow depth-of-field in these photos means some items are too out-of-focus to judge. Also, there is no straight-on photo of the dial, and they (strategically?) omitted a photo of the crown.

All-in-all, this one would not interest me at all unless it were priced very low. You do not indicate the asking price...

3. cristos71 Aug 29, 2019

That's not looking like a $1600 watch to me whether it comes with a BOR or not.

Besides the fact that the case back is from a different reference the nail in the coffin is the mismatched gold colour. The dial furniture looks to be rose gold and the wrong case back medallion appears to be yellow gold. A correct watch would of course have matching gold details throughout.

I'd say avoid, for that kind of money there are plenty of good Constellations to be found.

Edited Aug 30, 2019
    hoipolloi and alecuncu like this.
  4. alecuncu Aug 29, 2019

No pun intended haha
    It might need a service, I see.
    Could request more photo's all around, but I think you've helped me enough with just these photo's.
    Oops, edited it. He's asking EUR 1600, but given your feedback, I think I might keep on looking.

Thank you very much for your critical eye.

5. alecuncu Aug 29, 2019

I see. I think I will keep on looking. I'll be more patient and hope something will come by on this forum.

ConElPueblo and kkt like this.
  6. DON Aug 29, 2019

Is it me or does the rotor have a crack in one of the arms?

DON

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 29, 2019

That watch is a pass for me. There is just too much damage.

What I see lately is a lot of pie-pans in average to poor condition with very high asking prices.

I wonder how many are actually selling.
    gatorcpa

8. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 29, 2019

It sure does. And it looks like there is a notch in the bottom -- just to the right of the crack -- that comes partway up the side.

It wasn't long ago that very nice examples sold for less than people are now asking for ones in poor condition. I just hope that not many of those sellers wind up getting anywhere near what they ask.