Forums Latest Members
  1. OmegaCph May 21, 2020

Hello everyone!
    I recently inherited this beautiful Omega watch from my father after 20+ years of being in awe of it!
    After I got it I quickly sent it to service and cleaning as I know my father hasn't in all these years (he also very rarely used it, which is why I got it). The service was great and I'm even more in love of the watch than before but I forgot to ask the kind watchmaker to look up the serial number for me. Therefore I come to you experts for help!
    I know this much, it's a Constellation from the late 60s/early 70s with the terrific 751 calibre in it.
    Many Google searches didn't help and I can't seem to find an identical model anywhere.
    Do you know anything more specific about this watch? Which model is it?
    Also, my watchmaker's tool wiped off the lacquer of the Omega's back which was really cool so that disappointed me a bit, is it normal that the lacquer goes away when a watchmaker cleans it?
    Thanks in advance!
    These pictures were taken before the service.
    Omega 1.jpg Omega 2.jpg Omega 3.jpg

This picture is after the service, look at the beauty! (Sorry for the filter, my gf couldn't help herself!)
    Omega 4.jpg

flw, DaveK, Noddyman and 3 others like this.
  2. Noddyman May 21, 2020

3. ConElPueblo May 21, 2020

OmegaCph likes this.
  4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers May 21, 2020

Nice call @Noddyman (And @ConElPueblo ;))

@OmegaCph the lacquer you refer to on the back is most likely the ‘gunk’ that covers the caseback for delivery that is meant to be removed.
    (I’ve never seen an enamelled observatory on a 70s Connie)
    likely that it only remains in the low spots because that bit never wore away.
    It may have hardened over the years but try poking it with a cocktail stick and if it feels like hard rubber then remove all of it as I believe the back should be all stainless steel.

OmegaCph, Noddyman and ConElPueblo like this.
  5. OmegaCph May 21, 2020

Wow, y'all are truly experts, thanks! A bit surprised my watchmaker didn't correct me when I called it a calibre 751! (He's widely renowned as the Omega guy) Oh well, got a sapphire glass on it so I'm still satisfied! Based on your info, I did some research and found it's supposed to be water-resistant up to 30m, but my watchmaker didn't mention that, he just told me I should keep it from water (which is true, I guess). But still, should I've expected a pressure test or something similar? (Sorry, I'm still very new to this world)

6. ejj May 21, 2020

With the older watches, it is best to stay away from the water. If you want to swim with the watch, get something newer. A lot of folks have a modern beach watch. It might be from a venerable brand, Seiko, G-Shock, etc.

I swim with a 20 year-old watch, but I wouldn’t do that with a 70s Connie.

Noddyman likes this.
  7. kev1976t May 22, 2020

what a lovely looking watch !

OmegaCph likes this.
  8. ConElPueblo May 23, 2020

If the crown gasket hasn't been changed or the entire crown not replaced, it will be hard pressed to resist any water ingress.

Can I ask if he specifically stated that the mineral glass was replaced with a sapphire glass? If so, that's the first time I've heard of that… Are you by any chance located in Copenhagen? If so, did you perhaps use Bo Mølbak or Krognos for your servicing?

DaveK likes this.
  9. OmegaCph May 25, 2020

Yes, he specifically told me that he replaced the mineral glass with a stronger sapphire glass. And yes! I went to Krognos, should I be concerned about anything?

10. ConElPueblo May 25, 2020

No reason to be concerned about watches serviced at Krognos, no :)

Funny he would replace the mineral one with a sapphire, but it's an upgrade I approve of. Mineral glass is awful.

11. OmegaCph May 25, 2020

I had a great feeling also! Was very tough choosing him over CVurmageri but def not regretting so far.
    Now I'm curious, why is that funny? :D please enlighten me. I thought it was a normal process to upgrade.

12. ConElPueblo May 25, 2020

I have just never heard of that kind of procedure. I know it is relatively common with Seikos, but this is the first time I've heard about anyone doing it to an old Omega.

13. OmegaCph May 26, 2020

Oh okay, I guess I got lucky then! He told me he had one which fit perfectly and it wasn't expensive so was included in our original price. Forgive my n00bness, but in order to wind it, is it true I just turn the crown clock-wise 20-30 times until it's tight? I feel that the watch stops not long after I take it off.

14. ConElPueblo May 26, 2020

An automatic watch usually doesn't feel tight as there is a clutch that makes the winding slip. On a manually wound watch, you will feel resistance at some point. You ought to be able to wind it fully just by wearing it.

15. OmegaCph Jun 19, 2020

Okay, because I feel it's very tight and now a month after service the (gangreserve) is weak and stops after a few hours. Is that normal? I thought service was supposed to improve (gangreserve)

16. ConElPueblo Jun 19, 2020

Definitely not normal and your watchmaker should take it in and fix the issue.

Peemacgee likes this.
  17. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jun 19, 2020

A newly serviced watch (assuming that the movt is in good order) should have a power reserve of (give or take) a couple of days not a few hours after a full wind (or an active day on the wrist)

If the OP is winding the watch fully, (about 30 winds) then it sounds like it could be a combination of new crown gasket (stiffness) and broken mainspring. (Low power reserve)

18. OmegaCph Jun 30, 2020

Thanks for your input! Returned it to the watch-maker, interesting to see what his thoughts are.

Peemacgee likes this.