Forums Latest Members

Omega Constellation Deluxe 1968 Pie-Pan Dial - Honest Appraisal/Advice Please

1. JackRTSmith May 9, 2021

Good Afternoon,

I’m currently looking to purchase my first pie pan constellation, a watch I’ve been swooning over for years now and am finally in a position to own one of my own!

I’ve come across the attached which the advert states is all original, including the dial, case, buckle, strap and crown. Apparently it comes with original box and warranty card.

Through various blog posts and online research I’ve found the hidden crown to be normal for this model.
    The date window appears to have the usual bevelled sides, the T adjacent to Swiss made indicates luminous hands which the dial appears to have. The font all looks good. And the stars on the rear of the case look great and not over polished.

If anyone could comment on the images in terms of originality, condition, price and general information about this particular model that would be great.
    I understand the time it takes for people to look at the images and reply so would be really grateful for any help/advice you guys have!

I have also asked for images of the inside of the case back and the movement which aren’t currently included in the advert and I know these are pretty crucial!!

482AACC1-6CD8-44D4-A01C-1429D8518208.jpeg 4B099D8E-6C4B-4881-BBB9-BAA80012570B.jpeg 9BEFD06F-728D-48AD-A331-BD40FC17C18B.jpeg F801530C-1B02-436C-A3D6-177CD528CB74.jpeg EB19FE83-2595-45A5-AE45-313A4EBC9159.jpeg 39D686DB-287C-49D4-A8DC-F508B003BCD2.jpeg CC8B60BB-F2FA-4C4B-9489-E16467627617.jpeg AB39C03D-F791-491C-B9BF-C603703D5A03.jpeg
  2. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers May 9, 2021

Welcome @JackRTSmith

there are a few points for discussion.

firstly, this isn’t a deluxe Connie, as they have solid gold dials.
    Secondly, this is an English cased watch (the 5 in the reference number plus the shadow gap on the lugs and the style of the stars are ‘tells’)

the dial looks correct
    The second hand looks short
    The crown is not the hidden style but these crowns are often seen on English references. (Although the Omega symbol looks too modern)
    The photos are heavily bleached out but the case looks polished -it does look like the facets are missing from the lugs but it is hard to tell.

obviously, having the box and papers and having been originally retailed by Aspreys is a bonus but shouldn’t sway your decision on the condition of the watch.

hope that helps.

what is the asking price?

Noddyman, JohnSteed, airansun and 6 others like this.
  3. Engee May 9, 2021

Just as a general question to the experts here, I would imagine it to be very unusual to find an 18k case of that age with sharp edges and facets given how soft the metal is compared with steel, unless it’s hardly been worn. Do aficionados not take this into account when assessing such a watch?

And btw, to the OP, I think it’s a gorgeous looking watch but have no idea as to whether it’s a good example.

4. JackRTSmith May 9, 2021

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.

Appreciate your point regarding the deluxe models - rooky error there, and great info regarding the origin of the case! There are so many tiny details, rules and things to look out for!

I’ve seen an original website listing whereby this exact watch sold for £4950, it is currently being advertised for £4450. What is your view?

5. cristos71 May 9, 2021

If I was in the market for that reference and taking into account both the condition ( soft case ) and the additional B&P I'd be looking to pay around £1.8-2K tops. Had it been in better shape ( unpolished ) then £2.5-2.7K

For me £4450-4950 is fantasy land

6. gbesq May 9, 2021

Overpolished and very overpriced, but you were smart to inquire of the OF community before buying. There are better and more reasonably priced examples out there. Keep looking, be patient, and continue to ask questions.

JackRTSmith likes this.
  7. JohnSteed May 9, 2021

Take some time, @JackRTSmith, to check the many connie post here on OF. Will help you in your search :thumbsup:

Case soft imho, wrong crown, heavily touched up pics...if nothing else available to make an informed decision, i look to the next target. Good luck

JackRTSmith likes this.
  8. JackRTSmith May 9, 2021

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all your advice! I will endeavour to keep looking :)

Peemacgee and JohnSteed like this.
  9. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers May 9, 2021

you are quite right about the softer case material - which is why most 18k watches you see on the market will have soft cases - and this forms part of the assessment.

However, good versions do show up ( because they haven’t been worn much or were looked after) and they command a premium over and above their intrinsic value.

Watches are assessed, in the first instance and as a base line, on their original intended state.

However, all watches have a value, hence requesting what the asking price was.
    If the price was relatively cheap then the watch may still be a good buy.
    In this case the sellers were asking a price that is significantly above the market value for a mint Swiss example - and so this particular watch is not good value for money.

iamvr and Engee like this.
  10. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers May 9, 2021

you’re welcome.
    part of the fun of looking for a vintage watch is finding out about those details - and you’ve come to the right place for that.

I agree with @cristos71 regarding the pricing.
    The current asking is central london ‘more money than sense’ territory.

You are right to keep looking - and as above, with a little patience you will find a good example, probably for a lot less money.

11. eternalover May 9, 2021

Have been watching ages and there are lots around at the high price but very few in nice condition at sensible money